Big Big Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Big Train

I was thinking of getting more into this group, I just got Grand Tour and have of few of their songs scattered over a number of Prog Magazine sampler discs. They may be growing on me. What does anyone else think of Big Big Train? I know David Longdon, the singer and one of the main guys, died this year, which is tragic and very sad. But I'm thinking of checking them out. They've been around for years in the background for me, I'm just now starting to notice them (and not because of Longdon's passing, I've had them on the backburner for a while). What do you think? Any favorite albums?

Know they win all the Prog mag awards. Longdon appeared on the Live Downes Braide Association concert video. Played flute and sung. Is on YT.

Elsewhere have watched their video of Hedgerow.
    Pastoral prog. Noice. Good use of violin. Very musical. Kate Bushish. Will listen to more for sure.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

English Electric (Part One) from 2012 would probably be best place to start. If you like it, just progress through the rest of the Longdon era in release order. The six pre-Longdon albums are very different, generally heavier and less pastoral, closer to neo-prog than to the classic, 70s-influenced sound they would embrace afterwards.

Comment

I also like English Electric ( I & II) veru much. The Underfall Yard is great, also the re-released version of Underfall Yard (Underfall Yard, Return Trip).
        If you can find any of their live videos, I enjoy those.

I think this song and performance are very representative of what Big Big Train is all about. It starts very gently, becomes more energetic with some very good playing - recurring motifs - the sort of thing many Yes fans might enjoy:

Comment

Working...
        X