Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10-Song Playlist for a Saturday Evening, part 2

Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues (1965)
    Bob Dylan - It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry (1965)
    Kanye West - Dark Fantasy (2010)
    Kanye West - Gorgeous (2010)
    Kanye West - POWER (2010)

The Clash - London Calling (1979)
    The Clash - Brand New Cadillac (1979)
    The Clash - Jimmy Jazz (1979)
    Public Enemy - Countdown To Armageddon (1988)
    Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (1988)

The Clash - London Calling (1979)

And a dive into the Punk pond with the third album from The Clash, 1979’s London Calling. But is this really Punk? The Punk aspects seem to be tempered with some garage rock and New Wave. It’s far more polished than I’d have expected. Well, the vocals from frontman Joe Strummer are somewhat sneery, but even those seem a bit more polished than other Punk groups of the time.

So . . . well . . . maybe its sorta post-Punk, if that’s a thing.

This is considered one of the most influential albums of all time.

The Clash - Brand New Cadillac (1979)

A straight-ahead cover of a tune originally released by Vince Taylor and his Playboys way back in 1959, so it has a rockabilly vibe to it.

And the third track an uptempo Blues track with a full-blown 1950s swing vibe, including some obligatory 1950s saxophone.

The album cover is now also considered to be “iconic”. That’s bassist Paul Simonon smashing his Fender Precision Bass on the stage in frustration that the bouncers wouldn’t let the audience stand up out of their seats.

And the third track an uptempo Blues track with a full-blown 1950s swing vibe, including some obligatory 1950s saxophone.

Public Enemy - Countdown To Armageddon (1988)

This is just prelude-type track that leads off It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back , the second album from Public Enemy.

This is considered one of the most influential albums of all time.

I get that I’m not the target audience here. There’s a certain amount of Black empowerment embedded in the lyrics. I get that. I’m excluded from the visceral message that many Rappers and Hip Hop artists are delivering. I’m okay with that.

I’m just surprised that I’ve got both Kanye West and Public Enemy on this particular playlist, and I’m enjoying the tracks.

Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (1988)

The second track off that album is quite the party track, with fun DJ noises sprinkled throughout. The track also contains numerous samples from a diverse host of artists, including James Brown, the Commodores, and Funkadelic.

The lyrics also have a notable metrical complexity, making extensive use of meters such as dactylic hexameter.

I went ahead and previewed the third track as long as I was here, and the lyrics have a remarkable cleverness, especially the use of humor as a tool.

Last edited by pianozach; 08-08-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Playlist for a Sunday Afternoon (except it's still morning)

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
      My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Grateful Dead - Lyceum Theatre, London, 26/5/72

Bought on a shopping trip into town a couple of hours ago. Released on Friday. I passed by the Lyceum Theatre when I was in London two weeks ago. It's currently host to the Lion King musical, which is some Disney-uninspired shit.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Ashram Equinox by Julie's Haircut. For me, their best album by far. Strange psychedelic kraut/post-rock to start the week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ashram.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	22572

Comment

The Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (1972)

50th Anniversary remastered edition 2022, collected today.

Content-wise it's identical to the original release, but the Plangent restoration and fixing of a few tape issues, plus the nice booklet, makes it a desirable thing. The soundcheck photograph on the booklet cover is from the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. Exquisite, lovely, wonderful. Sigh.

💀⚡🐢🌹🐻❤️
            Attached Files

Comment

My walk home from work coincided perfectly with the last song on the Grateful Dead - Europe '72 Lyceum Theatre, London finishing: Casey Jones. I arrived at the steps to my front door as they ended the song. What a show! What I would give to have been there!
              I realised as I was crossing Victoria Park and there was security fencing being erected, that Saturday is Leicester Carnival, the avoidance of which each year, COVID notwithstanding, I need invent no excuses.

Took a couple of pics of the cemetery this afternoon when I had to take a short walk to an adjacent building for a new mouse, as my scrolling wheel was knackered.

Back home and listening to CD3 of the same Dead album!

Comment

Brian Eno's new track !!

Comment

Mothers/Zappa - Freak Out! (1966)

2006 MOFO Project/Object 2CD set

Comment

Picked up a copy of caravan, Blind dog at St Dunstans , on CD at charity shop today. Not their best album but still an enjoyable listen.

before that had The YES album canadian pressing on vinyl. Stunning sound on that pressing. another charity buy back in the day in Southampton when my son was going to interview for university.

Comment

Grateful Dead - Lyceum Theatre, London 26/5/72
                      CD4 💀⚡🐢🌹🐻❤️

Comment

Wendy Carlos - Sonic Seasonings (1972)
                        Ambient music begins.....

1998 remastered & expanded reissue.

I'm having to use my BluRay player as my CD player has stopped reading CDs. It won't load or play, just presents the track numbers and total duration as 00 00:00. Tried cleaning the lens and, yes, switching it off and on again. It's a budget Marantz I bought in a hurry in February 2018 when my 27-year-old Denon died. I'll be getting another Denon in due course.
                        Thankfully the BluRay player will serve perfectly well for now, and I can still stream albums from my Amazon Prime Music library.

Comment

Cluster - Zuckerzeit (1974)

Zuckerzeit translates as 'Sugar Time'.

Comment

Paul Hindemith (1895-1963)
                            Ludus Tonalis ('Tonal Games')

John McCabe - piano
                            Recorded July 1995, released 1996.

Ludus Tonalis was composed in 1942, and is subtitled Studies in Counterpoint, Tonal Organisation, and Piano Playing, and is very much in the spirit of Bach's unfinished The Art of Fugue. Ludus Tonalis consists of 12 fugues, interspersed with interludes. The whole work, of approximately 50 minutes duration, is topped and tailed with a Praeludium and a Postludium respectively, so composed that they are the same music: the Postludium is the same music as the Praeludium, but played backwards and upside-down.
                            Pretty sure I bought this CD after reading a review of it in Gramophone magazine.
                            The cartoon-like drawings on the cover are by the composer, illustrating a special edition of the score.

Comment

Agh, I missed this getting 100 pages.

Comment

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Doc At The Radar Station (1980)

Love this album! Don's strongest work since Lick My Decals Off.

'Fifty years from now you'll wish you'd gone 'Wow''.
                                - Don van Vliet.
                                Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 08-07-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X