X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carly Simon on Howard Stern

2002 interview.

Great medley sung. Stories told.

Loved her Arif Marden albums. Fave song is Comin' Around.

Oh. And some new info on the inspiration/s for You're So Vain

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-366.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	32989

Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-08-2022, 10:43 PM.

“Coming Around Again” is fantastic. Actually the album is pretty good throughout. Someone called this “music for housewives.” I guess that makes me a housewife.

In addition to the great “You’re So Vain,” “That’s the Way I Always Heard it Should Be,” “Anticipation,” and “You Belong to Me” (with the Doobies) have always been favorites, while “Jesse” and “Nobody Does it Better” are pop masterpieces.

Comment

I think the three albums she made with Richard Perry producing are enduring classics, Hotcakes being my favorite. But Boys In The Trees is also wonderful. Torch is also an album I love, Carly didn't start the trend of rock/pop singers turning to the American songbook, but she was one of the innovators.

"Haven't Got Time For The Pain" is my favorite song of hers for a few different reasons, one being that it takes me back in time to that year, that summer when they played it on the radio every hour.
      Rabin-esque
      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

“Haven’t Got Time for the Pain”—you’re bringing back memories for me as well! And Boys in Trees—her “Devoted to You” duet with James Taylor was really nice. I wonder if she spoke directly to women at a time when fewer women songwriters got their songs on the radio. In lots of ways here songs were about very ordinary feelings, including sexual desire, from that perspective—or so it seems to me.

Comment

Working...
        X