Views:	87
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2600

Multipack! 😆

Comment

Cheesy by a landslide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcAQybcIms

Comment

Both! I think they're fun in performance but they also make me laugh.
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

It’s choosy!

Comment

Cool or cheesy eh ?

Yes, they are, aren't they ?

Comment

Like a dog walking on its hind legs. It's possible but doesn't look natural.

Comment

Like many tools, I think it depends on how it's used. A keytar can be cheesy, but it can also be cool 😎

Comment

I have never used one, but I like the idea of giving the keyboard player a chance to step out front for a part of a show. When I have seen them employed, they seem limited in the range of sounds available, so they are perhaps a bit “one note” sonically. I’d like to try one I’ve never been close to anyone who owns one and I’ve never thought to purchase one just to try it out

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
                      I have never used one, but I like the idea of giving the keyboard player a chance to step out front for a part of a show. When I have seen them employed, they seem limited in the range of sounds available, so they are perhaps a bit “one note” sonically. I’d like to try one I’ve never been close to anyone who owns one and I’ve never thought to purchase one just to try it out
                      You know you can walk into any car dealership and test drive a Ferrari. Just dress well and look the part.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

You know, it occurs to me that if you could get the drummer to step out from behind his kit and use percussion sticks for a short intreval congruent with the keyboardists playing a little keytar and the lead singer doing a bit of rhythm guitar, you could get all five members of the band standing together out in front side by side playing. That probably wouldn't be a good idea for Alan at this point, but maybe Jay could do it.

Overall, though, my thought is that keytars are an instrument where you really want to pick your spot. The best you can hope for is duplicating what a keyboardist could do with real keyboardists, and usually even that is more aspirational than predictive.

So, what is being done I think, generally, is when the keytar comes out, they are perhaps putting showmanship a bit ahead of the music. Since they are in fact putting on a show, it's understandable that you'd go for a few fun moments like that (I've often thought it'd be fun to watch Howe, Sherwood, and Davison all playing bass on "The Fish" or Howe and Sherwood do live back up vocals to Davison on "We Have Heaven" instead of using Davison on a backing track.). I would just say limit the keytar to part of one song each night and it's fine. An entire show of it would be too much of a tradeoff musically, though, IMO.

Also, just want to put this out there upfront- Geoff Downes did not introduce the keytar to the Yes stage show. Rick Wakeman was doing it at least as far back as 1991. So. if you hate it, just keep in mind that it isn't Geoff's fault entirely- he was following precedent to some degree.
                        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                          You know you can walk into any car dealership and test drive a Ferrari. Just dress well and look the part.
                          I'd never really given it much thought, but now that you mention it, that must be a tough call for high end car dealerships. You don't want to giving test drives all day to people who don't have the interest or ability to buy one of your cars, or you'll have a fleet of "new" cars racking up miles as people joyride and even potentially get into accidents (With the possibility that word gets out and suddenly every teenager with a driver's license is popping by), and actual potential customers standing around waiting. On the other hand, if you tell someone they can't test drive a car, that'll potentially cost you the sale- probably more from people being offended even than from not wanting to seriously haggle before seeing how the car handles.

You may be able to do some sorting from how people dress, but, you know, there are always people who cut against type- rich folks who dress like high school kids or like adults just rolling out of bed because they can (Perhaps a musician, athlete, lottery winner, spouse, someone with inherited money, or someone who works from home), etc.. One also has to be careful that one isn't inadvertantly really discriminating based on race, gender, or some similar category.

Now I have a conversations starter if I ever meet a Ferrari dealer somewhere and have to make small talk.
                          Last edited by downbyariver; 12-14-2021, 10:25 PM.
                          "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Keytars seem cheesy as hell to me, but on the other hand it is great to see the keyboard player get to come out and have some fun with the other guys.

Now, if you play something like this, THAT is cool.

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                            My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

I'd never really given it much thought, but now that you mention it, that must be a tough call for high end car dealerships. You don't want to giving test drives all day to people who don't have the interest or ability to buy one of your cars, or you'll have a fleet of "new" cars racking up miles as people joyride and even potentially get into accidents (With the possibility that word gets out and suddenly every teenager with a driver's license is popping by), and actual potential customers standing around waiting. On the other hand, if you tell someone they can't test drive a car, that'll potentially cost you the sale- probably more from people being offended even than from not wanting to seriously haggle before seeing how the car handles.

You may be able to do some sorting from how people dress, but, you know, there are always people who cut against type- rich folks who dress like high school kids or like adults just rolling out of bed because they can (Perhaps a musician, athlete, lottery winner, spouse, someone with inherited money, or someone who works from home), etc.. One also has to be careful that one isn't inadvertantly really discriminating based on race, gender, or some similar category.

Now I have a conversations starter if I ever meet a Ferrari dealer somewhere and have to make small talk.
                              Know of what I speak. Was working as a civil servant in Canberra when I was younger. 20 or so. Presume was dressed decently and walked past a dealership near the CBD. Struck up a convo with a young salesman who agreed I could test drive a new Ford focus. Not a Ferrari but quite a powerful machine. He seemed keen just to get outta the place. He was not much older than me. The owner's nephew? Dunno.

Anyway Canberra has a Lake in the centre of the city with sweeping roads with curves. Not much traffic. No red lights. Very car friendly place. Was well over the speed limit. In fact fastest I've ever driven. Was a blast. Took it back to the dealership. Never discussed a sale with the young dude. Shook hands. Said goodbye.

So may depend on the salesman's mood on the day. Never became a revhead. Drive an old Toyota sedan. Sedately.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

Working...
                              X