Good Grief, no...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Grief, no...

I've never been a fan of Steve Vai's particular brand of pyrotechnical wankery. He was held in check for a while when he was in Zappa's band, but that, tragically, was a long time ago.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Give me the original multi-neck guitarist, Michael Angelo Batio, any day. Mike always puts on a great show, and is a fantastic guy to hang with.

https://youtu.be/31eReSNRrhU

What do you think, Ash? Certainly has speed, but his sweeping is hard to beat.

Comment

Gotta say I freaking love Steve Vai. I first encountered him back when he was working with David Lee Roth and I’ve been a fan ever since. Passion & Warfare was my personal soundtrack for the summer after I graduated high school.
      “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Here's a better one.
        https://youtu.be/PDn9mceIxgM

Comment

I was introduced by way of David Lee Roth also, and Flex-Able was my very first compact disc purchase. What a long wait for Passion & Warfare though. I'd heard it was coming and couldn't wait for it ... then he joined Whitesnake and I was like whaaaaa?? I went to that show and got that CD but the only really good thing was she said the tee shirt looked good on me. The CD and the tour were kinda boring. I guess he used the Whitesnake tour to finance the album or his studio or something.

Some of his albums are an easier listen than others - my favorite one might be The Ultra Zone, despite the wonky title. Cool album cover art, and just seems like what a regular Vai album would be like if there were such a thing.

I did spin the new album once, I definitely dug it!

Wondering whether the album trilogy he started is gonna get finished, wasn't that supposed to be a trilogy? I wasn't into it exactly but I could bring myself to focus on it more if it were a complete series. Or I'm telling myself that I could.
          Last edited by Dantalion Rides Again; 04-25-2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Vai had a triple necked heart shaped guitar back in the 80s so it’s not like he’s a newcomer to guitar exotica. You can see it in the video for “ Just Like Paradise”.

“Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
              Vai had a triple necked heart shaped guitar back in the 80s so it’s not like he’s a newcomer to guitar exotica. You can see it in the video for “ Just Like Paradise”.
              Yeah man! I saw the Skyscraper tour, like the second real concert I ever went to I think, and he totally played the two necks live unless he just fooled everyone at Providence Civic Center that night haha.

Comment

Never been too much into too much of the shredder/million notes a minute type gtr stuff (like Yngwie Malmsteen etc), but always kinda liked Vai. I don't have all the albums, but do have a number of them. He's quite acceptable to me. Passion & Warfare is a good one from younger days, and always liked Flexible - anyone into Zappa should like that. There's no way you shouldn't. It's like a good Zappa album without Zappa himself. I can see any one of those songs on Flexible fitting on any 80's Zappa album. Then there's Ultra Zone, sometimes it doesn't hurt to hear some showoff guitar wanky stuff, and Steve Vai is one of the best in that department, and one that doesn't irritate me too bad. Steve Vai is cool by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                  Never been too much into too much of the shredder/million notes a minute type gtr stuff (like Yngwie Malmsteen etc…
                  Steve kinda does that, although maybe not on the level of what you’re thinking of.

Comment

Working...
                  X