1950s & 1960s TV Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1950s & 1960s TV Science Fiction

I've recently bought a few BluRay and DVD boxsets: the original Twilight Zone, the Outer Limits, The Invaders (and Alfred Hitchcock Presents & The Alfred Hitchcock Hour).
    I certainly remember watching The Invaders back in the day, and it was rerun here through to the 80s. A precursor to the X-Files and the short-lived Dark Skies for sure.
    I've bought the Twilight Zone book to accompany my watching. Some of them I've seen but not for a long time, same with Outer Limits.
    They all hold up incredibly well, with fine casts and writers, and a raft of young directors who'd go on to features in the 70s. They look gorgeous too, great quality prints.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Watching a fascinating episode of The Outer Limits from 1963, the eighth in season one: The Human Factor. Henry Guardino, Gary Merrill, James Sikking, Sally Kellerman appear.
    This episode concludes disc 2 of the DVD boxset.

Comment

I remember the Invaders! I was just a little kid at the time but I definitely remember it. Pretty scary to a child. I should watch it again sometime, because as you point out, it was a precursor to the X Files, which was one of my favorite shows. The X Files of course honored its predecessor by having Roy Thinnes as a guest star (an alien, no less).

Comment

Outer Limits was just fantastic as was Twilight and Invaders.

Comment

The Outer Limits was a show I was really devoted to as a kid, watching it in reruns. My ex and I had a VHS set of various episodes from both seasons (two per tape) from Columbia Home Video. I think we ended up with about 10-12 tapes. At the time (this was in the '90s) they had not yet licensed beyond that for a complete set of the original run. My favorite of those is Demon With A Glass Hand, written by Harlan Ellison.
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Another Invaders fan here. Loved the alien spaceships.

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
            My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

And because the original was a 60s TV show

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
              My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Join Victor as he chats with podcaster Craig Beam about podcasting and the journey that led to him to working on the Outer Limits blu ray sets.

Comment

I never took to Outer Limits and Twilight Zone. I guess I just don't enjoy anthology shows, but I do appreciate how important they were to the genre.

Although I'd not enjoy them today I do recall liking Time Tunnel, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Land Of The Giants, although they may be too late for consideration.

Oh, TOS. The source of a life long (and stronger than ever) Trek fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by RelayerI View Post
                    I never took to Outer Limits and Twilight Zone. I guess I just don't enjoy anthology shows, but I do appreciate how important they were to the genre.

Although I'd not enjoy them today I do recall liking Time Tunnel, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Land Of The Giants, although they may be too late for consideration.

Oh, TOS. The source of a life long (and stronger than ever) Trek fandom.
                    All 1960s . I watched the first series of Voyage Bottom Sea last year on Prime.

Comment

Working...
                    X