Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Evening's Viewing...

​​​​​Dir. Burt Kennedy (1966)

Only Yul Brynner returns for the first sequel to the Magnificent Seven, five years after the original film.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Earlier....

Dir. Michael Hoffman (2012)
    Amazon were almost giving it away, along with The Railway Man (also Colin Firth), Quartet (Billy Connolly, Maggie Smith), the first 4 Mission Impossible films, and the Girl With a Pearl Earring (criminal that I didn't already own that but I was hoping for the BluRay, and once again Colin bloody Firth). I got the lot for just over £10....
    Anyway, Cameron Diaz..... ❤️
    Coincidentally, both this film and Quartet have Tom Courtenay in, and both were directed by someone whose last name is Hoffman!

And now, back to Cameron Diaz....

Comment

I am confident I can post this once and it will hold for about 99% our days and/or nights if the tv is on:

Soaps and the Sporting event du jour. and on simultaneously through the magic of picture and picture 😁.

There. I’m caught up for 2021 and next 2022. Throw in a late night movie every now and then. And I’m done 😂😆😆😆

Comment

A fascinating film/movie called Alpha about an ice age teenager who gets injured and separated from his father on his first hunting expedition, and is then befriended by a wolf as they gradually find their way back to his family through many dangers. It is very well done, based on a lot research for authenticity, it was shot in the Canadian arctic, and the actors speak in a language specially developed by experts in proto-languages. A visualisation of The Ice Bridge in some ways.

Comment

Dir. Anthony Mann (1961)

Charlton Heston
          Sophia Loren
          Herbert Lom
          Genevieve Paige
          Douglas Wilmer
          John Frazer
          Michael Hordern
          Gary Raymond
          Hurd Hatfield
          Andrew Cruikshank

German BluRay mit English dialogue.
          188 mins

Comment

Presently The Expanse S6:E3 "Force Projection"

Probably an episode of Fringe later, even two.

Sipping a little fine dark rum, and enjoying a Montecristo No.4 cigar..

Comment

We watched the 1st episode of season 6 of Shetland and then watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, which is a bizarre animated film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktrek View Post
                We watched the 1st episode of season 6 of Shetland and then watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, which is a bizarre animated film.
                Like Shetland. Lots of ferries and moody,taciturn Scots lookin' into the middle distance.

Written by the writer of Vera.

Comment

Memory: the Origins of Alien (2019)

Decided to take a look at this feature-length documentary about the cultural origins of Ridley Scott's Alien. It was on Film4 recently and I recorded it. It's probably still available to watch on catch-up for those of you in the UK. I really enjoyed it.
                  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8974964/

Vienna Blood
                  S1:E1"The Last Seance"

I think I watched this first episode when it was first shown, maybe two years ago? I don't remember it in any detail so it's as if I'm watching it for the first time now.
                  I read one of Frank Tallis's novels about ten years ago but I don't remember the title, but I do recall it had something to do with the Vienna Opera and Gustav Mahler, then the Music Director at the Vienna State Opera, was one of the characters. It may have been this that drew me to the book to begin with.
                  I'm intending to watch all of these through, and with the second series recently aired, there are now six 90min episodes to enjoy. Thankfully it's a BBC series so excellent production values and no ads!
                  ​​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...he-last-seance
                  Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 12-25-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Un Flic ('A Cop')

Written & directed by Jean-Pierre Melville in 1972. A stylish and satisfying French crime thriller, with Alain Delon, Richard Crenna, and Catherine Deneuve.
                    Along Richard Crenna, Michael Conrad, who played Phil Esterhaus, the despatch officer in Hill Street Blues, also appears. Both have their dialogue dubbed by French actors.
                    I've a particular fondness for Melville's films...
                    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 12-26-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Coincidentally, the two films I've watched this evening: Mission Impossible (1996) and Un Flic (1972), both have lengthy action sequences involving a helicopter and a moving train. It was not in my mind when I chose to watch them that they have this in common. Weird.

Comment

I saw West Side Story today, very memorable tunes.
                        The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                        -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                        -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

CSI: Miami just started, time to get my sunglasses on....

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Earlier I went for a walk, and listened to the Grateful Dead's To Terrapin: Live in Hartford, Connecticut 1977.
                            On returning home and putting together a meal I sat down to watch Rob Reiner's film The American President (1995). Written by Aaron Sorkin, and starring Michael Douglas and Annette Bening.

As I learned while watching the film, Annette Bening's character comes from Hartford, Connecticut.
                            Weird....

Comment

Dir. Dustin Hoffman (2013)

Billy Connolly
                              Tom Courtenay
                              Pauline Collins
                              Maggie Smith
                              Michael Gambon
                              Sheridan Smith
                              Andrew Sachs
                              Gwyneth Jones
                              Trevor Peacock
                              David Ryall
                              Michael Byrne

A total joy! 😊
                              Written by Ronald Hardwood, it was inspired by the 1984 documentary film Un Bacio di Tosca (Tosca's Kiss) about the Casa di Riposo per Musicisti in Milan, which I've seen a couple of times, and is also full of joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X