Halloween Viewing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halloween Viewing...

What creepy films will you be watching this coming Halloween weekend?

I have two that I make a point of watching every Halloween, though that doesn't mean I won't watch them any other time as well:

The Haunting (1963)
    Dir. Robert Wise
    The Innocents (1961)
    Dir. Jack Clayton

Both are based on classic ghost stories: The Haunting on Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House (pub. 1959), and The Innocents on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw (pub. 1898)

Stunning, gorgeous photography in both, outstanding directors, faultless casts, and an atmosphere so eerie you can knit with it!
    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 10-22-2022, 02:45 PM.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

I have so many movies in my Halloween festival that I have to start in early September in order to get them all watched by Halloween!

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
      I have so many movies in my Halloween festival that I have to start in early September in order to get them all watched by Halloween!
      I make a point of sticking to b&w films for Halloween.
      Murnau's Nosferatu, and some of the Universal classics will likely get a watch as well.

Comment

Children shouldn’t play with Dead Things. 1972. A cult classic worth checking out. Stokes the imagination, but very hands on scary, with confusing comic twists.
        But hard to beat the Exorcist, based on a true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I make a point of sticking to b&w films for Halloween.
          Murnau's Nosferatu, and some of the Universal classics will likely get a watch as well.
          I do have a few B&W horror movies. I have the collection of the old Universal movies, but I find most of them other than The Mummy and The Wolf Man to be too campy to enjoy.

I do like Wise's The Haunting, which you referenced, and watched it last week. Nosferatu, on the other hand.... Call me a philistine, but the original, despite its historic achievement, is close to unwatchable to me. Certainly, it's not one I can watch every year. On the other hand, Herzog's 1979 remake I do watch every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post

I do have a few B&W horror movies. I have the collection of the old Universal movies, but I find most of them other than The Mummy and The Wolf Man to be too campy to enjoy.

I do like Wise's The Haunting, which you referenced, and watched it last week. Nosferatu, on the other hand.... Call me a philistine, but the original, despite its historic achievement, is close to unwatchable to me. Certainly, it's not one I can watch every year. On the other hand, Herzog's 1979 remake I do watch every year.
            I had Herzog's in a BluRay Herzog boxset, but it was amongst the items I lost in a burglary in Feb 2020. I've replaced most of what was taken, lots of European film boxsets and other similar sets, but not that one yet.

Comment

Working...
            X