Dune 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune 2021

Home premiere was Friday. Rented it on Prime Video. I'll no doubt buy the BluRay when it's available.

Having to keep dropping the volume for the music and sound effects, and bringing it up again for dialogue. I've got subtitles on.
    It was Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049's excesses in that regard that sent me into stress-meltdown at the cinema; it was an independent arts centre so a small room... There is no need for those extreme lower frequencies in a film, nor the extreme high volume, always at the expense of the dialogue!
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Although apparently he's not as egregious as Christopher Nolan is about that kind of thing (who thinks that sometimes dialogue doesn't even matter in a scene so therefore you don't really need to hear it).

I haven't watched it, I almost feel like I really need to wait till I can watch parts one and two together. I love the original books, though, with God Emperor of Dune being one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time.
    Last edited by luna65; 12-13-2021, 09:00 AM.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
      Although apparently he's not as egregious as Christopher Nolan is about that kind of thing (who thinks that sometimes dialogue doesn't even matter in a scene so therefore you don't really need to hear it).

I haven't watched it, I almost feel like I really need to wait till I can watch part one and two together. I love the original books, though, with God Emperor of Dune being one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time.
      I hadn't realised it was only part one when I started watching it. Apparently part two isn't expected till October 2023....

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
        Home premiere was Friday. Rented it on Prime Video. I'll no doubt buy the BluRay when it's available.

Having to keep dropping the volume for the music and sound effects, and bringing it up again for dialogue. I've got subtitles on.
        It was Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049's excesses in that regard that sent me into stress-meltdown at the cinema; it was an independent arts centre so a small room... There is no need for those extreme lower frequencies in a film, nor the extreme high volume, always at the expense of the dialogue!

Oh I really hope I like it. I’ll be ready with the remote to adjust my volume. Lol. Thanks for heads up. Have also read Frank Herbert’s dune novels. Love them. I really didn’t want to go to the theatre cause it’s always too loud for me anyway (old man!).

(Read two of his sons sequels during the lockdown - they were ok/good, but they are not Frank)

Also enjoy other frank Herbert novels and series

So. For the new movie. I have to type again. I REALLY hope I like It. The story telling and dialogue is everything in this story. I’m hoping it has a good flow to it (which we understand is difficult to tackle), not cheesy, and not over the top with effects. 🤞🤞. I see it is avail on demand here now too. I’ll see if it hits cable. If not soon, I’ll buy it.

Side note - if you can, checkout Jodorowsky’s Dune. If you haven’t already. 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

Oh I really hope I like it. I’ll be ready with the remote to adjust my volume. Lol. Thanks for heads up. Have also read Frank Herbert’s dune novels. Love them. I really didn’t want to go to the theatre cause it’s always too loud for me anyway (old man!).

(Read two of his sons sequels during the lockdown - they were ok/good, but they are not Frank)

Also enjoy other frank Herbert novels and series

So. For the new movie. I have to type again. I REALLY hope I like It. The story telling and dialogue is everything in this story. I’m hoping it has a good flow to it (which we understand is difficult to tackle), not cheesy, and not over the top with effects. 🤞🤞. I see it is avail on demand here now too. I’ll see if it hits cable. If not soon, I’ll buy it.

Side note - if you can, checkout Jodorowsky’s Dune. If you haven’t already. 😊
          The look of it is stunning! And the way the story is told works well. Obviously there's a lot of CGI, but I didn't feel the spectacle of it overwhelmed the story-telling or the characters. They did a lot of desert location shooting as well, in various places, and having that look with real horizons brings it to life. I think you'll enjoy it.

Comment

The look of it is stunning! And the way the story is told works well. Obviously there's a lot of CGI, but I didn't feel the spectacle of it overwhelmed the story-telling or the characters. They did a lot of desert location shooting as well, in various places, and having that look with real horizons brings it to life. I think you'll enjoy it.
            Great. I’m looking forward to seeing it. Thx!!!!

I actually still watch the 1984 Dune and the TV series at least twice a year. Usually at 2am or so. 🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post

I haven't watched it, I almost feel like I really need to wait till I can watch parts one and two together. I love the original books, though, with God Emperor of Dune being one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time.
              I would love to reread the first 5 dune novels. I read them in high school and college. (Should have been studying - lol). And then I just read Chapterhouse last year, 32 years later. 😆😆

Have you, or Ash, read any of the Prequels by Brian Herbert?

Comment

I've read some of them. Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson also wrote a two-book conclusion to the original six book Dune series (and some in-between existing books books).

I actually after completing book six of the original six jumped immediately to the new authors' concluding books. They make an effort to conclude the entire 20-something book span of all their books as well as the original six in those two books, though, which renders them a bit lacking for people hoping to just have the original books concluded.

However, the bigger jolt than that is that the writing style is dramatically different from the way Frank Herbert wrote. The younger duo include a ton of exposition and explanations and just keep repeating them. I tend to like a little bit of that, but it's overkill, and especially jolting to go from Frank Herbert's very different style right into something that is basically the opposite. The characters are also dramatically simplified.

I suppose the plus side to all that is that you actually can read their sequels to the original Dune trilogies and, despite the fact that they wrap in this whole broader story set out in the prequels, you can understand it without having read the prequels, because they basically tell you everything that happened in the prequels multiple times in the final books (Which is not just because they are the final books- it's the way they always write). They also tell you multiple times about the plots of six books you've just read- which is admittedly probably helpful to some readers as the original six are sometimes intentionally a little oblique at times. These clear all of that up and more.

I am still not persuaded that their interpretation of what the end of Frank's final book in the series describes is actually what Frank intended to describe, though. It seems like they changed the ending of book six to better fit with what they wanted to do. I think they would say I was reading it wrong, though, and maybe they're right.

What isn't open to interpretation is that some of their prequels and in-between books blatantly contradict the original six books, and use the implied explanation that the original books were not events as they happened, but rather Irulan's and other fictional authors' propogandistic retelling of events based on popular legends. For example, what planet was Paul Atriedes born on? How many times had he been off world before the events of Dune? If you answered "Caladan" and "zero", you must be going by the original books. I don't want to spoil the newer books for anyone, but in them Paul seems to spend his childhood more off-planet than he does on-planet.

This tends to rub people the wrong way, because it implicitly presents the original classic books as unreliable tales written inside of fictional tales, and the newer less classic books as definitive (Or at least calls everything into doubt, potentially including the newer tomes.).

With all that said, I actually do think the newer novels succeed at something, which is that they do, for all their flaws, present new stories in the familiar Dune universe, which I think is a plus for people who love that universe who otherwise would be forever limited to six novels, which is far too few for the intriguing universe Frank Herbert created to have.

I would tell anyone interested in Dune books to go with the original six first. They're the best books by far. They hold together.

The newer books are I think are for people who really love Dune, want more, and are willing to accept a significant dropoff in quality to get it. There's nothing wrong with that, really, though I feel like other authors could have done a lot more with the opportunity. I'll probably get to reading more of them eventually.
                Last edited by downbyariver; 12-13-2021, 10:50 PM.
                "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

I would love to reread the first 5 dune novels. I read them in high school and college. (Should have been studying - lol). And then I just read Chapterhouse last year, 32 years later. 😆😆

I'm afraid I've only read the original Dune novel, albeit twice.
                  In my teens I was devoted to Isaac Asimov. Kind of still am... I started reading the Foundation series again recently.

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

However, the bigger jolt than that is that the writing style is dramatically different from the way Frank Herbert wrote. The younger duo include a ton of exposition and explanations and just keep repeating them. I tend to like a little bit of that, but it's overkill, and especially jolting to go from Frank Herbert's very different style right into something that is basically the opposite. The characters are also dramatically simplified.

I suppose the plus side to all that is that you actually can read their sequels to the original Dune trilogies and, despite the fact that they wrap in this whole broader story set out in the prequels, you can understand it without having read the prequels, because they basically tell you everything that happened in the prequels multiple times in the final books (Which is not just because they are the final books- it's the way they always write). They also tell you multiple times about the plots of six books you've just read- which is admittedly probably helpful to some readers as the original six are sometimes intentionally a little oblique at times. These clear all of that up and more.
                    This is a perfect explanation. And I didnt have the energy to write it all. Thx! The continuous explanation is exactly what annoyed me with the two sequels the most. I liked Hunters and Sandworms (They could have been one book clipping out all the rehash of events) Just not nearly as much as Franks Original six. Eventually I think I will get to a prequel or two, or one or two of Brian’s others. But there are just so many and I see 3 more new just published. Honestly I just won’t get to them all.

I did read Franks Consentiency series. 👍. And am in the middle of the Pandora series. 👍. With winter coming I will prob read a little more, as my wife and I tried to get outside and just out this past summer and I tailed off a bit. I think I read at least a dozen or more novels during 2020 covid lockdown, a few different easy reading sci-fi by other authors thrown in. Including Hitchhikers for some laughs!!

Comment

I'm afraid I've only read the original Dune novel, albeit twice.
                      In my teens I was devoted to Isaac Asimov. Kind of still am... I started reading the Foundation series again recently.
                      i picked up a whole box of sci-fi novels at the flea market. Included a couple Asimov. And I’m looking forward to getting to them eventually. Have not read any yet.

Comment

I haven't, no.
                        Rabin-esque
                        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Well. Out of the blue yesterday. My wife said let’s go see Dune in the theater while it’s still there. How funny is that. So we saw matinee. Haven’t been to movie theater since ......I can’t even remember....maybe when they ran the Elvis Comeback in the big screen years ago.

My first thought was that it was “good”. Our theater sound was good and although loud. I could hear the dialogue clearly. Some of the “big known quotes” from the book by the actors seemed a bit forced in at times, amongst a more common language used for the script now. For the story it was as I expected - covering the main themes of the book so all could enjoy it. I enjoyed it. I was not blown away. Nor was I disappointed.

I will buy the dvd when it comes out so I can stop, rewind, etc etc. lol. And look forward to Part 2. Which is 2 years out I see.

I think i will watch the sci-fi TV series with William hurt before then, if I can find the hours. Lol.

Comment

Well. Out of the blue yesterday. My wife said let’s go see Dune in the theater while it’s still there. How funny is that. So we saw matinee. Haven’t been to movie theater since ......I can’t even remember....maybe when they ran the Elvis Comeback in the big screen years ago.

My first thought was that it was “good”. Our theater sound was good and although loud. I could hear the dialogue clearly. Some of the “big known quotes” from the book by the actors seemed a bit forced in at times, amongst a more common language used for the script now. For the story it was as I expected - covering the main themes of the book so all could enjoy it. I enjoyed it. I was not blown away. Nor was I disappointed.

I will buy the dvd when it comes out so I can stop, rewind, etc etc. lol. And look forward to Part 2. Which is 2 years out I see.

I think i will watch the sci-fi TV series with William hurt before then, if I can find the hours. Lol.
                            Great. Glad you were able to see it.

I'm hoping to see Foundation somehow. I don't have Apple TV...

Comment

👍. Thx! Glad you posted it was a good watch! 👍

I think we have Apple TV. Lol. I’m old school. Cable. I won’t pay for any extras “myself”. Although my wife may have subscribed, Which is fine, And to others. I retired from a management position - So i try to make as few financial/decisions as possible - she handles ALL the finances. I’m just labor now 😆😆🤣🤣

i will try to remember to look for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X