X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Dark Skies.
    Beginning in 1994 and running for only one season, it sought to emulate the success of the X Files.
    Just watched an episode set in 1964. The whole series is set in the 60s, and spins around key moments in American history of that decade, and key figures in it too. This one, episode 9, The Last Wave, has a young film student called Jim Morrison in it.

On to the X Files proper now. Season Two. F. Emasculata.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    After this opening, feature-length episode of Fringe, I think I should watch Ken Russell's Altered States again. First time I saw it in the cinema, I'd had some shrooms.... Happy times.
    Oh yeah, Altered States is definitely an inspiration for Fringe, even has Blair Brown.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by Olorin View Post

Yes, Anna Torv.
    First saw her in the NetflixTV series "The Secret City" about my old hometown Canberra as a journo who uncovers political intrigue between the Chinese and Americans and Aussie pollies.
    Just another day in Canberra. Beautifully filmed. Even revealed new nooks and crannies for me of the place. She's got that serene Cate Blanchett vibe. Should do more films. Her aunt was married to Rupert Murdoch for 31 years. Probly knows where the bodies are buried. But that's another story...

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-04-2021, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    After this opening, feature-length episode of Fringe, I think I should watch Ken Russell's Altered States again. First time I saw it in the cinema, I'd had some shrooms.... Happy times.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    I'm giving it a go...

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    P.S. Love Fringe too, and love Anna Torv!
    She's striking! A great shame Mindhunters was cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

Is Fringe the series with the woman from Mindhunters? I forgot her name. Couple of years since I saw it...
    Yes, Anna Torv.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Wolf
    replied
    P.S. Love Fringe too, and love Anna Torv!

Leave a comment:

• Grey Wolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Anna Torv!
    I have Fringe on Prime Video, on one of my add-on channels. I need a gap in my viewing schedule....

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by luna65 View Post
    Yeah I loved Fringe, especially as it got even weirder as it went on.
    Is Fringe the series with the woman from Mindhunters? I forgot her name. Couple of years since I saw it...

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Yeah I loved Fringe, especially as it got even weirder as it went on.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied
    The X Files was one of my all-time favorite TV series. The first four or five seasons were the best but after that the writing started to get tired. Between the increasingly goofy Monster of the Week episodes, running out of ideas for the conspiracy episodes, and the unfortunate tendency toward trying to make the show a comedy, it was definitely past its prime. Don't get me wrong, episodes like Jose Chung's From Outer Space were fantastic, but their success steered the series in a bad direction (much as the success of the humor in Star Trek III and IV led directly to the hamfisted humor in Star Trek V and VI). I felt the first run really ended poorly with a series finale that exceeded my ability to suspend disbelief. Mulder on trial before a military tribunal? In America? Couldn't buy it. Then a new president ascended under controversial circumstances, 9/11 happened, and America became a much different place. That series finale no longer seemed so unbelievable.

I was excited for the two revival seasons but ended up wondering why. I hated what they tried to do with the mythology (ignore what we told you was the truth before, here, believe this new truth). Some of the non-mythology episodes were ok. But they ended the second revival season with a compound cliffhanger. Since Gillian Anderson says she's done with the X Files (and why should she come back, when she gets roles like Margaret Thatcher in The Crown), I guess those questions will never be answered. I have everything X Files on BluRay: the original 9 seasons, the 2 movies, and the revival seasons. Unfortunately I don't feel much desire to watch them any more, even the earlier seasons that were so good. Knowing how poorly it ended takes a lot of the pleasure out of the earlier years.

All that said, if you liked the X Files, you should also check out Fringe. It was initially little more than an X Files wannabe, but developed its own mythology and became a really good series. It had the fabulous John Noble in it, who was the highlight of the series, but the rest of the cast was great, too. Definitely recommended.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Was a huge fan of the original run, watched all of it till the bitter end. And the movies too (one of which had scenes filmed in the town where I was living and I got to meet Chris Carter). I haven't seen all of the reboot, it was sort of hit-and-miss, but I do mean to give it another chance.

Season three is my all-time favorite out of the original series. So many iconic episodes, with my favorite being "Jose Chung's From Outer Space."

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    started a topic The X Files

The X Files

I didn't catch on to the X Files till Season 4, but from then I watched it avidly up to Season 9 in 2001.
    I'd been watching it last year on Prime Video until it ceased to be free. I've just bought the Complete Series on DVD, and I'm resuming from where I left it last year, in Season 2, Episode 15.
    For some reason I completely missed the recent two seasons. Happily they're included in this set.
Working...
X