X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I think they did have more confidence in FfH than in H&E, which frankly is true for most of us.

Yes have become a nostalgia band live. I don't think that's because of Howe or because Rabin left (the ARW setlist was 98% nostalgia). It's what happens when you get old and your audience get old. We've seen the same with King Crimson, with Genesis, with Jethro Tull (albeit somewhat less so), with Caravan, etc. etc. etc.
    True to this. I think it's fairly easy; if there is demand for something it will happen. If audiences were screaming in masses for these acts to play their new album or or material from later albums, it would happen. But as the case is, the vast majority of the audience is there for the classic stuff, that's what they buy a ticket for.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
    They played a lot of FFH live when they were promoting it, but much less of Heaven and Earth. That suggests to me that they were less confident in it. But also, at the time they were playing two full albums in concert and the promoters like that. So they had limited space in the setlist.

It will be interesting to see if they play more than 2 new songs on the US tour. They don’t appear to have much time set aside for rehearsals, so it does seem a bit doubtful unless they’ve been rehearsing more songs and haven’t played them live yet.
    I think they did have more confidence in FfH than in H&E, which frankly is true for most of us.

Yes have become a nostalgia band live. I don't think that's because of Howe or because Rabin left (the ARW setlist was 98% nostalgia). It's what happens when you get old and your audience get old. We've seen the same with King Crimson, with Genesis, with Jethro Tull (albeit somewhat less so), with Caravan, etc. etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• JMKUSA
    replied
    Originally posted by The Whale View Post

It is strange and I'm not sure who (Must be Steve?) it stems from but Yes have zero confidence in playing their own new material. Since Rabin left its been the "classic" lineup doing a "classic" setlist. Honestly I would be happy with a setlist %100 of music from the last 6 albums. Aaaaaaaaaaannnnd that just gave me an idea for a thread.
    They played a lot of FFH live when they were promoting it, but much less of Heaven and Earth. That suggests to me that they were less confident in it. But also, at the time they were playing two full albums in concert and the promoters like that. So they had limited space in the setlist.

It will be interesting to see if they play more than 2 new songs on the US tour. They don’t appear to have much time set aside for rehearsals, so it does seem a bit doubtful unless they’ve been rehearsing more songs and haven’t played them live yet.

Leave a comment:

• The Whale
    replied
    Originally posted by Davy View Post
    I just wish they would stop using Roundabout and Starship Trooper for the encore. You have to play Roundabout? OK, play it at the end of the main set and surprise us with something fresh. Open the show with The Ice Bridge. Swap out Wurm for Wheels. Play a song or two from FFH, H&E, The Ladder, or even 90125. Do something, anything, that shows there's a pulse in there and you're not just a '70s box set.
    It is strange and I'm not sure who (Must be Steve?) it stems from but Yes have zero confidence in playing their own new material. Since Rabin left its been the "classic" lineup doing a "classic" setlist. Honestly I would be happy with a setlist %100 of music from the last 6 albums. Aaaaaaaaaaannnnd that just gave me an idea for a thread.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

Thx!!!!!!! Getting better!!!!!!!
    That's good to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Davy View Post
    Eh... we all have our moments. Hope Mrs. Gasman is feeling better!
    Thx!!!!!!! Getting better!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    Eh... we all have our moments. Hope Mrs. Gasman is feeling better!

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

Embarrassing. We are all suckers. Myself one of the worst included. Jeeez.
    wow. Was I in a bad mood that day or what? 😂. Not glass half full at all. Well my wife was in the hosp that week. I was extra bummed.

Anyhow. Embarrassing isn’t how I feel today. Surprised is better word. Weird substitution. May as well just have done “video killed…” in addition.

anywhoo, I listened to the 9/6 show today whilst puttering around. It was as expected for this lineup and this day and age. Was good with some real good segments, for me.

This may fly in the face of other of my posts, but, While disappointed with the truncated Silent Wings, I liked hearing it for a change. And same goes for The Ice Bridge. I also enjoyed Siberian - still has some energy to it.

Will prob listen to the 9/12 show tomorrow. Sure will be the same. But , hey, there are way worse things to happen than that…..

😉😊

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Couple of downloads/shows have been added to FY. 👍

Leave a comment:

• JMKUSA
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

True about FFH, but you know what they say; it's the exception that makes the rule.....😉
    Yes, but that was the last time the band had an album they believed in. So here’s hoping we get more new songs in the states!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied

if we go back to Fly From Here, the band added in more songs from that album over time, starting with just We Can Fly, then doing the full suite, and then also playing Life on a Film Set and Into the Storm (before dropping those songs and only playing the Suite when I saw them in 2012). I’m hoping they add in more songs, but I agree it is not likely.
    True about FFH, but you know what they say; it's the exception that makes the rule.....😉

Leave a comment:

• JMKUSA
    replied

I think the US set will be very similar to the UK/Ireland set. (The Japanese set appears to have been shortened at the behest of the promoter or venues.) It would be unlike the band to make any big changes. So, I will be surprised if they play the full "OtSWoF" and if they play more than 2 Quest songs. (Not that I wouldn't be delighted to be surprised.)
    if we go back to Fly From Here, the band added in more songs from that album over time, starting with just We Can Fly, then doing the full suite, and then also playing Life on a Film Set and Into the Storm (before dropping those songs and only playing the Suite when I saw them in 2012). I’m hoping they add in more songs, but I agree it is not likely.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied

So, drum roll... they got "Leaves of Green" (Howe/Davison/Sherwood) + "Video Killed the Radio Star" (just Downes) instead of "Heart of the Sunrise".

Not the most exciting change...
    Embarrassing. We are all suckers. Myself one of the worst included. Jeeez.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    I hope they play the full OTSWOF in the states, plus more songs from The Quest! It makes sense they didn’t make any big changes from the UK tour since they only played a handful of shows in Japan and didn’t have a lot of time to rehearse.
    I think the US set will be very similar to the UK/Ireland set. (The Japanese set appears to have been shortened at the behest of the promoter or venues.) It would be unlike the band to make any big changes. So, I will be surprised if they play the full "OtSWoF" and if they play more than 2 Quest songs. (Not that I wouldn't be delighted to be surprised.)

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied

I'd love to hear some material from "FFH, H&E, The Ladder, or even 90125", but I do appreciate that at least the band's sets do more comprehensively cover the '70s than they used to. We get songs from Time and a Word through to Drama, rather than just from The Yes Album to Close to the Edge plus Going for the One, which could be the case in the past.
    They do, and I still enjoy going to see them. Three newer songs, and I'd be content. But they do need to change up the encore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X