This is York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is York

Hmm. Interesting gig. Started off well with OTSWF and some nice rarities played in the first half. Billy was well up in the mix and played well. Jay had a great show, but I was a bit distracted as he seemed to be constantly counting time aloud - I've never seen that before.

The venue was ultra tight on photos/videos and i found that the intervention of the venue staff was more irritating than people actually using their phones.

Steve seemed to have a generally good gig, though I thought sometimes his sound seemed off. He spent much of the second half flapping and grumping about a light in his eyes. Geoff appeared very subdued and again i found some of his keyboard sounds a bit odd.

The second half was CTTE in full and possibly a better rendition of these songs than I've seen in recent years, more dynamic with a bit more flow. They really do need to drop the Roundabout/ST encore though.

The screen were okay, but the graphics looked a bit cheap. I thought the previous tour from 2018(?) was visually better. The sound was clear, but very loud (painfully so in the encore). Maybe its just me getting old.

My daughter's assessment? The guitarist looks like he's likely to die and the singer's a bit of a fairy. Otherwise, she enjoyed it too...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_224114.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	19770 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_195735.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	19771
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_195757.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	19769 ​​

Thanks for the review. I think the Jay counting thing is perhaps for others just as much for him. I noticed Steve does the same during ‘Does it Really Happen’ whilst looking at Jay.

Comment

No kicks to the head from the Professor? Nice pic of you and your nurse...
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Howe seems to be the one who wants to stamp out recording. He's getting quite Fripp-ian about it. He walked out of a soundcheck because someone was (supposedly) recording and seemed very cross with someone in a white hat at the RAH.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
          The venue was ultra tight on photos/videos and i found that the intervention of the venue staff was more irritating than people actually using their phones.
          This. I agree with Steve in theory, but the cure is worse than the disease. Martin Darvill and the rest of the band need to give him a good talking-to.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post

This. I agree with Steve in theory, but the cure is worse than the disease. Martin Darvill and the rest of the band need to give him a good talking-to.
            Tweeted QEDG about that. Don't expect a response though.
            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
              Howe... ...seemed very cross with someone in a white hat at the RAH.
              All very valid! 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                Nice pic of you and your nurse...
                Cheeky monkey! 🤣

You'll note the familial resemblance. I'll have my revenge in 30 years time when she looks like a female version of me... 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

…and seemed very cross with someone in a white hat at the RAH.
                  I noticed that. The chap who was stage right?

Comment

My daughter's assessment? The guitarist looks like he's likely to die and the singer's a bit of a fairy. Otherwise, she enjoyed it too...​​
                    A classic remark from alt.music.yes (Open Your Eyes tour era) was that Howe looked like the Cryptkeeper (from Tales from the Crypt). I still laugh out loud whenever I think of that. He'll probably outlive us all!

Cheers,
                    Mike

Comment

Howe seems to be the one who wants to stamp out recording. He's getting quite Fripp-ian about it. He walked out of a soundcheck because someone was (supposedly) recording and seemed very cross with someone in a white hat at the RAH.
                      If only it would have been a man in a white car....

(Ok, I'll get me coat now.....)

Comment

My daughter's assessment? The guitarist looks like he's likely to die and the singer's a bit of a fairy. ​​
                        Juano is dating John Lodge's daughter, who is quite a looker. That's the romance that's referenced in "A Living Island" from The Quest, the only entry I've seen to date in the "romantic pandemic song" musical category.

Of course, there would be nothing wrong with him being gay if he were gay. He just happens not to be.
                        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

"Romantic pandemic" category. Priceless DBAR.

Maybe Juano can write a concept album based on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera".
                          C'mon. You know it makes sense. 🍑

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

Juano is dating John Lodge's daughter, who is quite a looker. That's the romance that's referenced in "A Living Island" from The Quest, the only entry I've seen to date in the "romantic pandemic song" musical category.

Of course, there would be nothing wrong with him being gay if he were gay. He just happens not to be.
                            I read fairy more as in the literal sense. You know… Steve is an elf, Wakeman is a magician, Squire is a king, White is a soldier, and Jon (A or D) is a fairy. Trevor Horn is an IT guy that has no place in the fellowship. Geoff Downes is a hockey player… I’ll stop before I get in trouble here.

Got a chuckle out of me… hearing first impressions from “outsiders” is always fun and amusing to me.

Interesting that our Juano is dating Lodge’s daughter! Royal family there.

Steve has got to stop with the grimacing and gesturing at lighting guys in the middle of public performances. Why is this a thing with him?

Yorkshire Square good on ya for bringing her, and glad the both of you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review and pics. My son is 3, and I wonder if he will get to see an iteration of Yes one day. He has technically seen Nick Mason and Michael McDonald, but he was in the womb. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

I read fairy more as in the literal sense. You know… Steve is an elf, Wakeman is a magician, Squire is a king, White is a soldier, and Jon (A or D) is a fairy. Trevor Horn is an IT guy that has no place in the fellowship. Geoff Downes is a hockey player… I’ll stop before I get in trouble here.

Got a chuckle out of me… hearing first impressions from “outsiders” is always fun and amusing to me.

Interesting that our Juano is dating Lodge’s daughter! Royal family there.

Steve has got to stop with the grimacing and gesturing at lighting guys in the middle of public performances. Why is this a thing with him?

Yorkshire Square good on ya for bringing her, and glad the both of you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review and pics. My son is 3, and I wonder if he will get to see an iteration of Yes one day. He has technically seen Nick Mason and Michael McDonald, but he was in the womb. Haha
                              Did he ever see Nirvana? In Utero?

Comment

Working...
                              X