Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976 Solos Tour

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1976 Solos Tour

    Questions:

    How did the term 'Crab Nebula' arise with relation to this tour? Does it refer to the tour itself, or the staging? Who originated it, and when? Was it ever used officially by the band, or by Roger and Martyn Dean to describe the staging, or tour, or is something a fan came up with? And why 'Crab Nebula?
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

    #2
    Dean refers to the stage set up as that in one of his art books. I imagine they came up with the crab idea because it looks vaguely crustacean. However, it does not look much like the actual Crab Nebula.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
      Questions:

      How did the term 'Crab Nebula' arise with relation to this tour? Does it refer to the tour itself, or the staging? Who originated it, and when? Was it ever used officially by the band, or by Roger and Martyn Dean to describe the staging, or tour, or is something a fan came up with? And why 'Crab Nebula?
      Drugs?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by madbear View Post

        Drugs?
        What have you got?
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

          What have you got?
          Paracetomol, Ibuprofen and some antidepressants. Maybe some out of date cough medicine at the back of the cupboard.

          Comment


            #6
            It was my first Yes show. Colt Park in Hartford, Connecticut. No Peter Frampton, Poussette Dart Band opened. A little bit of "The Story of I" and a little bit of "Olias of Sunhillow". Best stage set they ever had and a very light mist did wonders for the lasers. Unforgettable!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Insidious Grip View Post
              It was my first Yes show. Colt Park in Hartford, Connecticut. No Peter Frampton, Poussette Dart Band opened. A little bit of "The Story of I" and a little bit of "Olias of Sunhillow". Best stage set they ever had and a very light mist did wonders for the lasers. Unforgettable!
              Wow! That would be my time machine concert for sure.... Did they play Hold Out Your Hand/You By My Side? Would have been fun to hear Yes play them

              Comment


                #8
                I saw the Solos Show in Spring of 1976 in Roanoke, VA. Going totally by memory, I recall them playing both of the Squire songs that you mentioned, Flight of the Moorglade and To the Runner by JA, Break Away from it All by SH, Spring -Song of Innocence and One Way Rag off of Alan White’s Ramshackled., and excerpts from the Story of i by Moraz. It was a fabulous show. Apparently the solo spots weren’t yielding the audience support that the band was seeking, and when I saw them a month later in Columbia, SC they had dropped the solo album songs, and performed exclusively Yes songs. I’m really glad that I had the opportunity to see the solo album tunes performed.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Insidious Grip View Post
                  It was my first Yes show. Colt Park in Hartford, Connecticut. No Peter Frampton, Poussette Dart Band opened. A little bit of "The Story of I" and a little bit of "Olias of Sunhillow". Best stage set they ever had and a very light mist did wonders for the lasers. Unforgettable!
                  Same.
                  Cincinnati June 8th, 1976.
                  My oldest sister brought me to my very first concert.
                  Mind blown for life.
                  I still remember those green forked lasers spinning through a gigantic cloud of...

                  (no, not me. I was 12, remember?)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Roundabob View Post
                    I saw the Solos Show in Spring of 1976 in Roanoke, VA. Going totally by memory, I recall them playing both of the Squire songs that you mentioned, Flight of the Moorglade and To the Runner by JA, Break Away from it All by SH, Spring -Song of Innocence and One Way Rag off of Alan White’s Ramshackled., and excerpts from the Story of i by Moraz. It was a fabulous show. Apparently the solo spots weren’t yielding the audience support that the band was seeking, and when I saw them a month later in Columbia, SC they had dropped the solo album songs, and performed exclusively Yes songs. I’m really glad that I had the opportunity to see the solo album tunes performed.
                    That is awesome! Too bad they dropped the solo tunes, would have been fun hearing the other Yes guys interpret them. Wonder if there is any recordings of them??

                    Comment


                      #11
                      For the folks wondering what was played, two resources. First, Forgotten Yesterdays (which can also video or audio clips, but not for anything this old): http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/

                      Second, setlist.fm has setlists of concerts.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        View the statistics of songs played live by Yes. Have a look which song was played how often in 1976!
                        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thanks!. Wow, they played Wondrous Stories with Moraz !!??

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I was there for the Anaheim show in 1976, although by then there wasn't much "Solo" material in their setlist by the time they got there. They co-headlined with Peter Frampton, with supporting bands Gentle Giant and Gary Wright.

                              Siberian Khatru
                              Sound Chaser
                              I've Seen All Good People
                              The Gates of Delerium
                              Long Distance Runaround
                              Moraz solo
                              Clap
                              Anderson Harp solo
                              Heart of the Sunrise
                              Ritual
                              Roundabout
                              Starship Trooper

                              It was almost two months into the tour, and they'd already dropped The Ocean Song, the two songs from Squire, Ram, the two White songs, Moraz' Cachaca, Apocalypse, Break Away From It All, and Beginnings.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X