Fanfare from the Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanfare from the Firebird

Not that it's my business to tell Geoff Downes what to do but in the upcomin' gigs he should write a new bridgin' piece for the openin' song.

FANFARE FROM THE FIREBIRD

Play the Firebird Suite to open as we all love and towards the end Geoff blends in on synth/organ for the last 60 seconds into the new composition for 60 seconds or so before blendin' into the fanfare beginnin' of The Ice Bridge. A confident stance. Begin with new music. Some mistakenly attributed. But now with a new bridgin' piece. Like what Howe did in America and Simon allowed him to be new composer for guitar solo.

Linkin' Igor Stravinsky with Francis Monkman.

Music across the ages.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-16-2022, 11:50 PM.

I think it's a nice idea to open a set with a new song - I actually would like to see them cast aside the Firebird opening, it's been done so much. There have been a few tours where they came up with a fresh opening instead of Firebird and I'd be happy if they would do something different. I'm not really a big fan of the Ice Bridge song but I suppose it's one of the better tunes on the album so perhaps good to open with that.
    But I like the idea of opening with a new tune, off the top of my head I believe they opened with Sound Chaser when that album came out. I think they opened with Does It Really Happen? on the Drama tour. 90125 tour I think they opened with Cinema - is that right? Also I remember they opened some Big Generator shows with Almost Like Love. Always fun to hear the new material.

Comment

Spose it's a memory of opening with Parrallels when Wakeman segued from Firebird into Parrallels on organ. Also a new bridgin' section would ramp up the excitement as the audience would not know what was goin'on until TIB comes crashin' in. 😯

Comment

Personally, I love the intro, with Firebird. It gets me going every time. There aren't too many consistent things anymore in life, and the opening music is but one of those few remaining things.

Iron Maiden still opens up with a certain UFO song, every show, after all these years, btw.

Comment

I still think the Firebird intro is pretty effective, I prefer that to Young Person's Guide To Orchestra. I always thought the Battlestar Galactica theme from 1978 would make a great opening music for Yes or any other big group.

I agree that Ice Bridge/something new would be a fine opener, segued from a short link from Firebird. Ice Bridge as an opener. It would be a bold statement, saying 'We are Yes of today - welcome to Yes 2022'. The 80's was the last time they opened with a song from the current album of the time.

Comment

The Firebird Suite still makes the hair on the back of my neck rise at a Yes gig. I love the effect it has on me. The idea of segueing into The Ice Bridge is brilliant.

Comment

I still like the Close Encounters of the Third Kind opening from 1978-1980. I thought the Apocalypse (from AYAI) opening from the Moraz era was interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X