X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by yamishogun View Post

You really think Downes is more grounded than any of The Holy Trinity?
    Certainly. Jesus always seems a little bit "preachy". God is up there in the clouds. And as for the Holy Spirit, well he's practically invisible compared to Geoff.🤗

Leave a comment:

• yamishogun
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Geoff comes across to me as probably the most grounded and 'no nonsense' member of all Yes members past and present. He does seem a genuinly nice chap.
    You really think Downes is more grounded than any of The Holy Trinity?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

Geoff Downes has always been a top notch guyi n my book, and what I have witnessed with anyone who has spent friendly time with. He's allowed to be himself. We all have different thoughts every day. The guy is and has been in the band, and certainly knows all parties involved, much more than those holding old Meet & Greets lanyards. His politics might not be everyones' cup a tea, but who gives a toss, really?. I don't believe anyone has been on the receiving end of endless YES-shite as an individual as Geoffrey has.

Nothing wrong with not putting up with a bunch of bullocks, setting the record straight, and not remaining silent, for frankly a bunch of folks who are rude, and usually wrong.

Geoff loves his fans, and those who support his endeavors, past and present. He even told Martin and company/ management to look out for me on a couple of occasions in a very good way. Very generous man, with an intelligent sense of humor /humour. I also like that every picture Geoffrey takes with a fan, whether it's the first or thousandth, he always has a genuine smile on his face. Class act, and always one busy m.f..
    Geoff comes across to me as probably the most grounded and 'no nonsense' member of all Yes members past and present. He does seem a genuinly nice chap.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

Geoff Downes has always been a top notch guyi n my book, and what I have witnessed with anyone who has spent friendly time with. He's allowed to be himself. We all have different thoughts every day. The guy is and has been in the band, and certainly knows all parties involved, much more than those holding old Meet & Greets lanyards. His politics might not be everyones' cup a tea, but who gives a toss, really?. I don't believe anyone has been on the receiving end of endless YES-shite as an individual as Geoffrey has.

Nothing wrong with not putting up with a bunch of bullocks, setting the record straight, and not remaining silent, for frankly a bunch of folks who are rude, and usually wrong.

Geoff loves his fans, and those who support his endeavors, past and present. He even told Martin and company/ management to look out for me on a couple of occasions in a very good way. Very generous man, with an intelligent sense of humor /humour. I also like that every picture Geoffrey takes with a fan, whether it's the first or thousandth, he always has a genuine smile on his face. Class act, and always one busy m.f..
    👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

I remember all that. I get Geoff's sense of humor. I don't think he was being mean and ugly. Though many were offended and thought it was a bunch of hog wash... I am going to put on my Yuppet shirt tonight though...

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    Conversations evolve, and move on....
    Not when it comes to anything Yes-related, has been my experience. ;-)

​​​​​​Much love to everyone, every day! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Conversations evolve, and move on....

Leave a comment:

• T.R. Brockbanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Close to the Edge 72 View Post

I think there are two threads here that have kind of gotten mixed together. I didn't comment on the Trans Band. I'm in the other thread, where Luna's friends on here are defending her against me to the nines. I already tried to make peace with Luna but instead got more things thrown at me. I'd say I'm taking it like a man, but it might get Luna back on her soap box. So disregard that comment.

But I do love Neil and was lucky enough to present a photo of Steve Howe and Neil to Steve a couple of summers ago. Steve was backstage at Neil's show in Philly in 83. I framed it for Steve and he was very appreciative as they both looked great. Who didn't in '83...
    Sorry, I was referring to Ash being close to the edge of the stage Great pic !

Leave a comment:

• Close to the Edge 72
    replied
    Originally posted by T.R. Brockbanks View Post

Close to the Edge, lucky you! The Trans Band was an amazing lineup, but short-lived. Neil's All-Star Band
    I think there are two threads here that have kind of gotten mixed together. I didn't comment on the Trans Band. I'm in the other thread, where Luna's friends on here are defending her against me to the nines. I already tried to make peace with Luna but instead got more things thrown at me. I'd say I'm taking it like a man, but it might get Luna back on her soap box. So disregard that comment.

But I do love Neil and was lucky enough to present a photo of Steve Howe and Neil to Steve a couple of summers ago. Steve was backstage at Neil's show in Philly in 83. I framed it for Steve and he was very appreciative as they both looked great. Who didn't in '83...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied

I remember all that. I get Geoff's sense of humor. I don't think he was being mean and ugly. Though many were offended and thought it was a bunch of hog wash... I am going to put on my Yuppet shirt tonight though...
    Well, Geoff can be tongue in cheek a lot, but the Yuppet comment he made when at the start of the 2011 US tour, the first show people where complaining that the band was underrehearsed (Geoff came straight of an Asia tour if I remember correctly) and Benoit was singing really out of tune. Geoff lashed back at those people complaining, using the excuse of "first night" and then indeed calling them Yuppets for their "entitlement". I remember getting a bit into it with him as well, because I wrote back that the "first night" excuse was rubbish, unless they were prepared to charge way less for a first night, but that since the people on the first night payed as much for a ticket as people on the rest of the tour, they should get a same quality show and that a first night wasn't an extra rehearsal. I thought Geoff was extremely unfair to those people who had been there that first night and complained.

But other than that I take most of it with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• Imperatrix
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3D6E3C51-919B-4FD9-B736-0343A5FD7730.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	8763

You got that right! Some of the Yesmen and others in and around the lake have been very disappointing to meet or work with. But Levin, Squire, White, Kaye, Rabin, and Wakeman, were all super cool and kind guys.
    Broof was always very cordial — at least to me.

As for Wakeman, interacting with him was forever a scream.

The above is from one of the times Rick and I ran into each other. “Our Manager”. 😂

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post
    I honestly don’t think that any of you really want to know what I think about who and who isn’t/wasn’t ahead of his/her/their time, but I am greatly—very greatly—behind Luna’s reasoned and measured responses. Beauty.

One thing I’ve learned over the decades is that meeting my musical heroes (other than Levin, Metheny, and Mays) was a huge mistake. I thank God every day that I never met Rush or Genesis. My two cents. Your mileage may vary. Win awards. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    You got that right! Some of the Yesmen and others in and around the lake have been very disappointing to meet or work with. But Levin, Squire, White, Kaye, Rabin, and Wakeman, were all super cool and kind guys.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Well, I really think you're making too much out of it. First off, I think the only member that came on the old Yesfans in the last 10 years or so was Geoff. And Geoff was by no means a stranger to being mean and ugly himself, considering some of his remarks about Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin for instance, or for instance in his blogs at the start of his second tenure with Yes in 2011 (Yuppets anyone?). Secondly, yes there have been unpleasant remarks here and there, but the vast majorityt of the critisim towards the band or its (ex)members over the years has been either level headed or tongue in cheek.

Concerning Jon specifically, I think Henry made a good observation here: https://www.thenewyesfans.com/forum/...=8429#post8429

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Hoff View Post
    Listening to some music this morning. Found something curious. Jon Anderson came up with “Droid Voices” back in 1976. Even before Star Wars. The song Dance of Ranyart on Olias starts with a very R2-D2 type thing. Just though it was cool and wondered if he ever got credit for it.
    Watching Star Trek: Picard today, it occurs to me that the sounds referred to on Olias bear a much closer resemblance to the sounds emitted by the various console controls of the Enterprise on the original series of Star Trek, on the bridge, the transporter controls, &c., rather than the droid chatter in Star Wars.

Leave a comment:

• T.R. Brockbanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I saw Neil Young on the Trans tour, with Nils Lofgren in his band. Corking good gig, despite being in the cavernous NEC arena. Fortunately I was close to the stage.
    Close to the Edge, lucky you! The Trans Band was an amazing lineup, but short-lived. Neil's All-Star Band

Leave a comment:

Working...
X