Jon was always ahead of his time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T.R. Brockbanks View Post
    Interesting. I wouldn't say she was trying to be like Peter, they just became interested in the Fairlight around the same time. There was definitely a bit of cross-pollination going on
    Right; but since Padgham worked with both of them I guess that was his opinion.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
      I guess I recall you saying a few things over time about Jon, who has been a punching bag on here by many. I don't recall specifics from you.
      YOU GUESS? YOU GUESS?!? Then why, dude, why? What did I do to deserve that bitchy remark? Have you confused me with someone else who offended you?

I get wanting to defend someone you have a relationship with - I have someone like that in my life too. Someone in the industry who has been publicly criticized and ridiculed and doesn't deserve it, IMO. But I also recognize that as a bias of sorts. So I get why you feel that way. If I've offended you in the past then I'm sorry but that specific comment in this thread? No, I'm not apologizing for that.

So again, let's be clear: I don't worship Trevor. I have had some interactions with him and he's been kind to me and I am a loyal fan to a point. But he's not infallible and even on my own blog dedicated to him I have said that. I have a bias...to a point. But I am also capable of discernment. I don't need to defend my identity as a fan of Trevor or of Yes to anybody. But as a cultural commentator I want to view works and situations with thoughtfulness. Fans can be nuanced and still be fans.
      So I say let's move on and I get exclamation marks!!, ALL CAPS and bolding? I can't go back and search for what you said. I know what I read was negative. So you will have to excuse me that I don't have proper documentation, footnotes, and that site no longer exists. I've explained myself and why I don't get negative on here for the most part. This is why so many don't bother with this site, be it old or new. Have a nice day, Luna. There are bombs being lobbed on Ukraine that I'm more concerned about than what you are throwing at me here.

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
        I guess I recall you saying a few things over time about Jon, who has been a punching bag on here by many. I don't recall specifics from you.
        YOU GUESS? YOU GUESS?!? Then why, dude, why? What did I do to deserve that bitchy remark? Have you confused me with someone else who offended you?

I get wanting to defend someone you have a relationship with - I have someone like that in my life too. Someone in the industry who has been publicly criticized and ridiculed and doesn't deserve it, IMO. But I also recognize that as a bias of sorts. So I get why you feel that way. If I've offended you in the past then I'm sorry but that specific comment in this thread? No, I'm not apologizing for that.

So again, let's be clear: I don't worship Trevor. I have had some interactions with him and he's been kind to me and I am a loyal fan to a point. But he's not infallible and even on my own blog dedicated to him I have said that. I have a bias...to a point. But I am also capable of discernment. I don't need to defend my identity as a fan of Trevor or of Yes to anybody. But as a cultural commentator I want to view works and situations with thoughtfulness. Fans can be nuanced and still be fans.
        Luna, you're the lady.

As I see it, your comment was an off the cuff remark about, more than anything, Lucas and in no way derogatory about JA. Nothing for you to get roasted for.

I stand by you, my dear. Some folk are just a little too thin skinned.

Comment

Originally posted by Close to the Edge 72 View Post

So I say let's move on and I get exclamation marks!!, ALL CAPS and bolding? I can't go back and search for what you said. I know what I read was negative. So you will have to excuse me that I don't have proper documentation, footnotes, and that site no longer exists. I've explained myself and why I don't get negative on here for the most part. This is why so many don't bother with this site, be it old or new. Have a nice day, Luna. There are bombs being lobbed on Ukraine that I'm more concerned about than what you are throwing at me here.
          "George Lucas borrowed a lot of things, but...yeah that's kind of a stretch, I'd say."

There you go, I found it for you. And you started a shitstorm about it. I think the word you should be looking for is "sorry"...

Comment

Agreed, I don't recall Luna ever making any particularly caustic remarks about Jon compared to the rest of us (including me,) other than speculating that Jon's true motive with ARW was in reclaiming the Yes mantle. She has also pointed out a few times when she felt Trevor was stretching the truth a bit (remember when he claimed his Facebook account was hacked?)

Comment

I honestly don’t think that any of you really want to know what I think about who and who isn’t/wasn’t ahead of his/her/their time, but I am greatly—very greatly—behind Luna’s reasoned and measured responses. Beauty.

One thing I’ve learned over the decades is that meeting my musical heroes (other than Levin, Metheny, and Mays) was a huge mistake. I thank God every day that I never met Rush or Genesis. My two cents. Your mileage may vary. Win awards. 🤷🏻‍♀️
              Last edited by Imperatrix; 03-03-2022, 03:29 PM.
              Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post
                I honestly don’t think that any of you really want to know what I think about who and who isn’t/wasn’t ahead of his/her/their time, but I am greatly—very greatly—behind Luna’s reasoned and measured responses. Beauty.

One thing I’ve learned over the decades is that meeting my musical heroes (other than Levin, Metheny, and Mays) was a huge mistake. I thank God every day that I never met Rush or Genesis. My two cents. Your mileage may vary. 🤷🏻‍♀️
                I had a great time with Jimi Hendrix. Unfortunately he was dead and I was blotto...

But yeah, you're right. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                  The Fairlight was also an integral part of The Art of Noise's creativity, Anne Dudley making extensive use of it then and after. I think the Synclavier pretty much superceded it as the sampling technology of choice from the mid-80s. It was used on 90125 and Big Generator. Frank Zappa of course is the composer most associated with it.
                  I've no doubt it's potential is dwarfed by what can be done on an ordinary smartphone now... For good or ill.
                  I have a soft spot for the old Synclavier, don't forget about Neil Young's Trans (most people wish they could ) and of course the 1983 Genesis album.

Comment

Originally posted by T.R. Brockbanks View Post

I have a soft spot for the old Synclavier, don't forget about Neil Young's Trans (most people wish they could ) and of course the 1983 Genesis album.
                    I saw Neil Young on the Trans tour, with Nils Lofgren in his band. Corking good gig, despite being in the cavernous NEC arena. Fortunately I was close to the stage.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I saw Neil Young on the Trans tour, with Nils Lofgren in his band. Corking good gig, despite being in the cavernous NEC arena. Fortunately I was close to the stage.
                      Close to the Edge, lucky you! The Trans Band was an amazing lineup, but short-lived. Neil's All-Star Band

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hoff View Post
                        Listening to some music this morning. Found something curious. Jon Anderson came up with “Droid Voices” back in 1976. Even before Star Wars. The song Dance of Ranyart on Olias starts with a very R2-D2 type thing. Just though it was cool and wondered if he ever got credit for it.
                        Watching Star Trek: Picard today, it occurs to me that the sounds referred to on Olias bear a much closer resemblance to the sounds emitted by the various console controls of the Enterprise on the original series of Star Trek, on the bridge, the transporter controls, &c., rather than the droid chatter in Star Wars.
                        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Well, I really think you're making too much out of it. First off, I think the only member that came on the old Yesfans in the last 10 years or so was Geoff. And Geoff was by no means a stranger to being mean and ugly himself, considering some of his remarks about Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin for instance, or for instance in his blogs at the start of his second tenure with Yes in 2011 (Yuppets anyone?). Secondly, yes there have been unpleasant remarks here and there, but the vast majorityt of the critisim towards the band or its (ex)members over the years has been either level headed or tongue in cheek.

Concerning Jon specifically, I think Henry made a good observation here: https://www.thenewyesfans.com/forum/...=8429#post8429
                          I remember all that. I get Geoff's sense of humor. I don't think he was being mean and ugly. Though many were offended and thought it was a bunch of hog wash... I am going to put on my Yuppet shirt tonight though...

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post

One thing I’ve learned over the decades is that meeting my musical heroes (other than Levin, Metheny, and Mays) was a huge mistake. I thank God every day that I never met Rush or Genesis. My two cents. Your mileage may vary. Win awards. 🤷🏻‍♀️
                            You got that right! Some of the Yesmen and others in and around the lake have been very disappointing to meet or work with. But Levin, Squire, White, Kaye, Rabin, and Wakeman, were all super cool and kind guys.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D6E3C51-919B-4FD9-B736-0343A5FD7730.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	8763
                              Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

You got that right! Some of the Yesmen and others in and around the lake have been very disappointing to meet or work with. But Levin, Squire, White, Kaye, Rabin, and Wakeman, were all super cool and kind guys.
                              Broof was always very cordial — at least to me.

As for Wakeman, interacting with him was forever a scream.

The above is from one of the times Rick and I ran into each other. “Our Manager”. 😂

Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

I remember all that. I get Geoff's sense of humor. I don't think he was being mean and ugly. Though many were offended and thought it was a bunch of hog wash... I am going to put on my Yuppet shirt tonight though...
                                Well, Geoff can be tongue in cheek a lot, but the Yuppet comment he made when at the start of the 2011 US tour, the first show people where complaining that the band was underrehearsed (Geoff came straight of an Asia tour if I remember correctly) and Benoit was singing really out of tune. Geoff lashed back at those people complaining, using the excuse of "first night" and then indeed calling them Yuppets for their "entitlement". I remember getting a bit into it with him as well, because I wrote back that the "first night" excuse was rubbish, unless they were prepared to charge way less for a first night, but that since the people on the first night payed as much for a ticket as people on the rest of the tour, they should get a same quality show and that a first night wasn't an extra rehearsal. I thought Geoff was extremely unfair to those people who had been there that first night and complained.

But other than that I take most of it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                                X