Jon was always ahead of his time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon was always ahead of his time.

Listening to some music this morning. Found something curious. Jon Anderson came up with “Droid Voices” back in 1976. Even before Star Wars. The song Dance of Ranyart on Olias starts with a very R2-D2 type thing. Just though it was cool and wondered if he ever got credit for it.

I know what you mean, although 'back in 1976' was when Star Wars was being shot, and not that far from where Jon was creating Olias. Less than 10 miles between Seer Green and Pinewood.
    I think we can call it an amusing coincidence.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 02-27-2022, 08:12 AM.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

George Lucas borrowed a lot of things, but...yeah that's kind of a stretch, I'd say.
      Rabin-esque
      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Luna, you seem to have issues with Jon but you worship Trevor Rabin...who is friends with Jon...and who he last toured with as a member of Yes. Is there something you would like to say about this conundrum?

Comment

-1- I don't worship Trevor. This is not the first time I have said this exact thing. Well okay...maybe the first time here at TNYF. Being a fan does not equate a worshipful attitude and if you paid attention at YF you will have witnessed me delivering criticism when necessary. I'm a fan of Trevor's and he's been very nice to me every time we've interacted, but trust me...he's only human, and a rather flawed human at that. Like most everyone else.
          -1a- It's usually females who get accused of fervent worship of musicians. Like, I have very rarely seen that observation leveled at any male in this community or other music comms. Just sayin.'
          -2- Trevor and Jon aren't as friendly as you might think - or have been told - they are. But they are both pragmatic when necessary.
          -3- I respect Jon's creativity and talent and vision. But he's also a huckster. A person can be both things and still be someone worth being interested in. I wouldn't call it issues per se, just an acknowledgment of the aforementioned humanity.
          -4- ...and therefore, not a conundrum.
          -5- If you take exception to me criticizing Jon then I would say it is you who might have the deification tendency.

Like, if y'all wanna call me out for something, that's fine. Again, not the first time that's happened to me in fandom. But please start out with something that's not hyperbole, okay?
          Rabin-esque
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
            -1- I don't worship Trevor. This is not the first time I have said this exact thing. Well okay...maybe the first time here at TNYF. Being a fan does not equate a worshipful attitude and if you paid attention at YF you will have witnessed me delivering criticism when necessary. I'm a fan of Trevor's and he's been very nice to me every time we've interacted, but trust me...he's only human, and a rather flawed human at that. Like most everyone else.
            -1a- It's usually females who get accused of fervent worship of musicians. Like, I have very rarely seen that observation leveled at any male in this community or other music comms. Just sayin.'
            -2- Trevor and Jon aren't as friendly as you might think - or have been told - they are. But they are both pragmatic when necessary.
            -3- I respect Jon's creativity and talent and vision. But he's also a huckster. A person can be both things and still be someone worth being interested in. I wouldn't call it issues per se, just an acknowledgment of the aforementioned humanity.
            -5- If you take exception to me criticizing Jon then I would say it is you who might have the deification tendency.

Like, if y'all wanna call me out for something, that's fine. Again, not the first time that's happened to me in fandom. But please start out with something that's not hyperbole, okay?
            You can't say fairer than that. And I hope you'll have no need to say it again.
            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Exactamundo. We all have differing preferences/passions re : YES and I admire a lot of folk around here who own them without needing to attack others. Also cool to be curious about differing mindsets. Often needs a few posts to clarify positions and then people let go and realise all rivers lead to the sea 😀

Comment

And that's not to say I'm not a fangirl. I am absolutely am. Just as someone else - my accuser, for instance - might be a fanboi. Would I come for someone over that? Now that would be hypocritical.

Looking past the issue of how I have really really tried over the last decade and change to present myself as someone who has nuanced insightful things to say about music and created a body of work which I feel reflects this (though YMMV of course)...I mean, okay, I get the fandom urge of wanting to read someone to filth, but...of all the things. Like, was this merely convenient? Because it's one of the more innocuous things I've ever posted regarding anyone, least of all Jon.

But let's consider the topic. One might very well ask what influenced sound designer Ben Brutt to create those sounds for R2-D2. Was it, in fact, his love for Olias of Sunhillow? I mean, who knows? There is no cited evidence that I'm aware of. Synthesizers make what we consider to be computer/robot/sci-fi type noises and there's lots of people who "discovered" that aspect of the sonic palette before Jon, even. That's why someone is apt to say, "Hey, I need to create a robot sound, so I guess I'd better rent a synth!" Unless you happen to own one, that is.

Do I think it's a stretch? Yes, but, even if it's not I don't believe that's a slight on Jon to comment thus. I am, on the other hand, on record as saying that I think Jon was definitely ahead of his time as regards the album overall - New Age was in its' infancy and I think Olias helped showed the way for what was to come. That is an opinion which someone else is free to counter, and I won't be offended at all. I promise!

So I am not disputing the thesis statement of the thread title...just the supporting evidence provided. So there.
                Last edited by luna65; 02-27-2022, 06:28 PM.
                Rabin-esque
                rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Off topic (but concerning synths) when Kate Bush wanted some modern synth sounds she got Geoff Downes to do the programming on the fairlight. Specifically for "Sat in your Lap" from "The Dreaming".

Geoff was ahead of his time 😘

Comment

Kate was ahead of her time...well, unless you ask Hugh Padgham.
                    Rabin-esque
                    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Now, not being a native English speaker and certainly not North American English, I had to look up the word "huckster'. For what it's worth; I think your posts are nuanced and realistic. Grounded is the right term.

Comment

George Lucas borrowed a lot of things, but...yeah that's kind of a stretch, I'd say.
                        And let’s not get started about John Williams. 😜
                        Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post

And let’s not get started about John Williams. 😜
                          TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T

i miss you how is life

Comment

If there were a guy on here who wrote about Trevor as you have I would have said the same thing so I don't think that is very fair. But it is very 2022. There are plenty of people with many negative things to say about Jon and the rest of the band on the old and new Yesfans I've noticed. There is plenty I could say about the guys through exchanges I've had over the years. But since this is a site for Yesfans, I choose to keep them to myself. Many others criticize them. I choose not to not matter who I'm friendly with in the band. It's just easier that way for me. I respect them too much and I don't need to pile on when there are so many who do. Not directing that at you. It's just the way it is here.

Comment

Okay I get that, but you did directsomething at me.

And if you're wanting to say I'm "woke" - I'm not insulted by that. I'm an old woman and therefore 150% done with what I perceive to be sexist BS. However, if you'd really come for the guys the same way, okay fine. I will take your word for that. But you understand that there was no way for me to know before you said so.

But all that aside, I'm still confused as to why you're coming for me over that specific comment in this thread.

But I try to tone-police myself these days not to sound fangirly (even though I fully admit to being a fangirl, which is not the same as worshipping someone). I have my moments, sure, but I don't think I've been specifically even partially worshipful-sounding since, say, 2013. Besides which, we're in a brand-new space and I've definitely not been fangirly-sounding here. If you think I have, please, point it out to me because I'd like to know.
                              Last edited by luna65; 03-01-2022, 11:08 AM.
                              Rabin-esque
                              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X