Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could have an extra album, which era?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    I voted for the Banks era. I would have loved to have one more album between TAAW and TYA with Banks, Kaye, and Bruford together. When he left Yes and formed Flash is when Banks' playing really matured and I think a Yes album from then would have been amazing.

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by YesWill View Post
      I voted for the Banks era. I would have loved to have one more album between TAAW and TYA with Banks, Kaye, and Bruford together. When he left Yes and formed Flash is when Banks' playing really matured and I think a Yes album from then would have been amazing.
      If you had that then this forum would most likely not exist as Atlantic would’ve dropped them if it wasn’t successful, and this probably wouldn’t be. Yes needed Steve’s fresh sound to truly rise to fame.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Esthe View Post

        If you had that then this forum would most likely not exist as Atlantic would’ve dropped them if it wasn’t successful, and this probably wouldn’t be. Yes needed Steve’s fresh sound to truly rise to fame.
        true but there is enough Banks/Squire stuff that a 3rd banks album could easily exist

        Something's Coming
        Images of you and me
        Electric Funeral
        For Everyone
        Get yourself together
        Elenoir Rigby
        Jeanetta
        Dear Father
        It's love

        Persoanlly I have enjoyed my made up 3rd banks album a lot

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by Esthe View Post

          If you had that then this forum would most likely not exist as Atlantic would’ve dropped them if it wasn’t successful, and this probably wouldn’t be. Yes needed Steve’s fresh sound to truly rise to fame.
          Yeah well maybe. But I still would have loved to hear it. This is a hypothetical discussion isn't it?

          It's not like this forum could just disappear overnight. 😉

          Comment


            #65
            I'd have been really interested in what a hypothetical album that bridged the gap between CTTE and TFTGO would have sounded like - one more album with Bill would have been fab!
            I also would have loved something between 90125 and BG. I think the gap really hurt them in terms of visibility in the public scheme of things. Though not playing Live Aid possibly cost them as well, though argubly it didnt do Pink Floyd any harm.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
              One lineup which would have been nice to revisit would have been the original Yes with Kaye/Banks/Bruford. I could imagine them coming together in 2005 for a low key club tour and maybe an album done quickly without a lot of studio trickery with just basic piano/organ/guitar but minimal synths - not no synths though. A one-and-done reformation, and that lineup would fold in 2006. Shows would be material from the first two albums and the 2005 one, maybe something from Yes Album but no Roundabout/Owner etc. Low key, seated/dinner theater type places, blues clubs etc.

              That would have been a good evening and the album may have sounded like The Syn Sydestructable or something. I'll go for that.
              That would have been incredible.

              I was listening to 'Yes' in the car the other day. it still sounds so fresh and exciting to me. I love TAAW as well - those two albums are really excellent .

              I have often considered putting together a Mk1 tribute band to play those songs live, a sort of 'lower division' version of what Nicky Mason has done for the Sid era PF songs.

              Comment


                #67
                Anderson Howe Wakeman Squire White every time for me...

                Comment


                  #68
                  I would have love a follow up to Talk featuring a finished full version Time from the 90125 sessions.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by gbh90125 View Post
                    I also would have loved something between 90125 and BG. I think the gap really hurt them in terms of visibility in the public scheme of things. Though not playing Live Aid possibly cost them as well, though argubly it didnt do Pink Floyd any harm.
                    Why in the world did they NOT play Live Aid?? Especially after the huge success of 90125 and OOALH???

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

                      Why in the world did they NOT play Live Aid?? Especially after the huge success of 90125 and OOALH???
                      and after Trevor Horn had allowed Geldof to record DTKIC at Sarm. In London. Horn should've called in the favour. Owner. Roundabout. Seen All Good People.

                      Look who played Live Aid.

                      Power Station without Robert Palmer.
                      Adam Ant.
                      Joan Baez.

                      🤨

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Yep, they were considered but ultimately rejected.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          I don't see how Yes would have fitted into the overall event of Live Aid. I don't believe Live Aid itself would have gained by their participation, or that the Live Aid audience would have been at all enthusiastic, or even care. I remember watching the whole event at the time, from its start in London straight through to its conclusion in Philadelphia, even going to a party in the evening and everyone there watching it! Loads of bands and artists played no part in it at all, and Yes we're just one of them. It's all slipped quite easily, helped along the way by the media and it's penchant for nostalgia, into myth and sentiment.
                          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

                            Why in the world did they NOT play Live Aid?? Especially after the huge success of 90125 and OOALH???
                            https://www.goldradiouk.com/news/mus...-not-play-why/

                            See no. 23

                            Comment


                              #74
                              The 'easy' answer is another from the late classic era. But you look at what was in the works with the Paris sessions and we may have got a coda that really did no justice to that era. Tormato for all its flaws is still the band in great form with the odd splash of genius. A genius they didn't come close in my estimation to recapturing until Magnification, which is the ONLY album I think that comes anywhere near to measuring up to what the band achieved in the 70s and even then it consolidates the legacy without being at its groundbreaking heart.

                              With so much general consensus that the band's real legacy lies with that phenomenal run from Fragile-Tormato, I am a bit surprised the majority voting for that period isn't higher.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post
                                The 'easy' answer is another from the late classic era. But you look at what was in the works with the Paris sessions and we may have got a coda that really did no justice to that era. Tormato for all its flaws is still the band in great form with the odd splash of genius. A genius they didn't come close in my estimation to recapturing until Magnification, which is the ONLY album I think that comes anywhere near to measuring up to what the band achieved in the 70s and even then it consolidates the legacy without being at its groundbreaking heart.

                                With so much general consensus that the band's real legacy lies with that phenomenal run from Fragile-Tormato, I am a bit surprised the majority voting for that period isn't higher.
                                It's a generational thing.
                                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X