Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could have an extra album, which era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Now, there is this rather new thing amongst us youngsters, which is called YouTube. You might be surprised what you can find there, music wise

But that's not what's on Anthology 2. Aren't those from before ABWH? Whereas what's on Anthology 2 is (very different) alternative versions of Union tracks.

Comment

One lineup which would have been nice to revisit would have been the original Yes with Kaye/Banks/Bruford. I could imagine them coming together in 2005 for a low key club tour and maybe an album done quickly without a lot of studio trickery with just basic piano/organ/guitar but minimal synths - not no synths though. A one-and-done reformation, and that lineup would fold in 2006. Shows would be material from the first two albums and the 2005 one, maybe something from Yes Album but no Roundabout/Owner etc. Low key, seated/dinner theater type places, blues clubs etc.

That would have been a good evening and the album may have sounded like The Syn Sydestructable or something. I'll go for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
        One lineup which would have been nice to revisit would have been the original Yes with Kaye/Banks/Bruford. I could imagine them coming together in 2005 for a low key club tour and maybe an album done quickly without a lot of studio trickery with just basic piano/organ/guitar but minimal synths - not no synths though. A one-and-done reformation, and that lineup would fold in 2006. Shows would be material from the first two albums and the 2005 one, maybe something from Yes Album but no Roundabout/Owner etc. Low key, seated/dinner theater type places, blues clubs etc.

That would have been a good evening and the album may have sounded like The Syn Sydestructable or something. I'll go for that.
        well we may get a third banks album as that BBC boxset is supposed to have a whole disc of never heard before early yes stuff

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

well we may get a third banks album as that BBC boxset is supposed to have a whole disc of never heard before early yes stuff
          I hope so. That would be nice. But I’m turning blue while holding my breath.

Banks deserves, deserved more. The entire yes entourage, and management, all of em, should have ensured Banks was included more in later years and especially at the 50th. All of em. YesO , YesF, w x y z and whomever. Was totally disrespectful. They should be ashamed of themselves. And now it’s too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

I hope so. That would be nice. But I’m turning blue while holding my breath.

Banks deserves, deserved more. The entire yes entourage, and management, all of em, should have ensured Banks was included more in later years and especially at the 50th. All of em. YesO , YesF, w x y z and whomever. Was totally disrespectful. They should be ashamed of themselves. And now it’s too late.
            Banks was dead by the 50th... that being said Yes official did play Sweet Dreams of he second album and the year before played Survival off the first album

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

Banks was dead by the 50th... that being said Yes official did play Sweet Dreams of he second album and the year before played Survival off the first album
              You are right. He was unfortunately gone by then. My bad writing. I was ranting and my phrasing was mixed up. But my point is the same. They said nothing of him, ever, and had plenty of opps to include him before his death. And during the celebrations also. Pet peeve of mine.

Why they never ever sat down and talked is beyond me. Put men, or women, around a table, and talk. That’s how things get done. Not by phone, and email, and text, etc. , and thru managers. And this is where the band is now - my opinion- with the band and JA. Sit down, together, and figure it out. Shake hands and walk away. Fans perspective I know. I said same on the Asia thread. I don’t think they want to. Oh well.

Comment

You are right. He was unfortunately gone by then. My bad writing. I was ranting and my phrasing was mixed up. But my point is the same. They said nothing of him, ever, and had plenty of opps to include him before his death. And during the celebrations also. Pet peeve of mine.

Why they never ever sat down and talked is beyond me. Put men, or women, around a table, and talk. That’s how things get done. Not by phone, and email, and text, etc. , and thru managers. And this is where the band is now - my opinion- with the band and JA. Sit down, together, and figure it out. Shake hands and walk away. Fans perspective I know. I said same on the Asia thread. I don’t think they want to. Oh well.
                Yes explicitly acknowledged Banks on the 50th anniversary tour. Banks was much happier about his relationship to Yes after the success of his and Kaye's lawsuit for back royalties against Brian Lane, and his payout from the Rhino expanded series. But he remained someone who was difficult to work with and who was drinking too much. He was also musically in a very different place, with not much interest in revisiting work he'd done decades before.

Jon Anderson reached out about a possible collaboration and Pete was excited about that, but nothing further happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Yes explicitly acknowledged Banks on the 50th anniversary tour. Banks was much happier about his relationship to Yes after the success of his and Kaye's lawsuit for back royalties against Brian Lane, and his payout from the Rhino expanded series. But he remained someone who was difficult to work with and who was drinking too much. He was also musically in a very different place, with not much interest in revisiting work he'd done decades before.

Jon Anderson reached out about a possible collaboration and Pete was excited about that, but nothing further happened.
                  I was at multiple Yes50 shows. And I was at the festival in Philly. I don’t remember it being explicit at all. Now just cause I don’t remember doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I admit that. Nor do I recall anything at the multiple ARW shows either. If someone has some footage or audio I would love to see it. And I can eat my crow. Lol.

Comment

Steve may have mentioned his name, and I, too was at multiple shows, and don't really remember, unless it was before a song introduction.

Comment

I liked Banks, he was very similar in style somewhat to Steve. But with an added edge - maybe that was the Who influence, but he also had a jazzy side to his playing. Peter Banks didn't seem to get the respect he probably deserved. A fine player, but from what I gather he may have been his own worst enemy. He seemed to maybe have anger issues and often copped an attitude. This is just from various interviews and books, including his autobiography. On the other hand, he was shafted throughout his career, and never enjoyed the success of any of his fellow Yes alumni. He was the one lone guy who never came back to Yes even as a guest spot. Kinda the black sheep of the Yes family.

Don't think he'd enjoy going out and playing a 'greatest hits' tour like other Yessers. But he was no slouch on guitar. I find the Banks/Bruford duet on 'I See You' to be one of the most engaging guitar moments on ANY Yes album. Fluid jazzy guitar textures, like Steve Howe. Steve was more of a songwriter compared to Banks, so that may have been one thing that held the original guitarist back, but Peter Banks also had a certain degree of danger that went out of Yes when he was replaced by Howe's more professional guitar approach.

He didn't have an awful lot of material through the years, but most of what he did I somewhat dug.

Comment

I’m sure there were professional and business differences. I hear what all are saying. 👍. As in any business / relationships. I just wish they had squeezed him in at some point. Or, he had seen fit to squeeze himself in. 😆. I just don’t want to see that happen with the guys left now.......

Comment

Era that did not happen but the the ARW era.

Comment

As in any business / relationships. I just wish they had squeezed him in at some point. Or, he had seen fit to squeeze himself in. 😆. I just don’t want to see that happen with the guys left now.......
                            The current Yes have squeezed most of the non-ARW members in: Bruford introducing at the London 50th anniversary show, Horn and Moraz doing guest spots, Kaye doing many guest spots, releasing From a Page for Wakeman junior and David. Even Brislin shook a tambourine at one show.

Comment

I think Yes would possibly squeeze in Banks these days, maybe a guest spot on Astral Traveler or something. Howe has always said he liked Bank' playing. Unfortunately he's gone. Maybe it's time for Time & A Word for the live album series.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                                I think Yes would possibly squeeze in Banks these days, maybe a guest spot on Astral Traveler or something. Howe has always said he liked Bank' playing. Unfortunately he's gone. Maybe it's time for Time & A Word for the live album series.

I thought I was the only one championing for the 2 banks albums to be done in full!!!!

I still say instead of letting Tony kaye go in 2019 it would been awesome for them to do Time and a word in full with Kaye doing the hammond stuff and Downes doing the orchestra stuff... but oh well

Comment

Working...
                                X