Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could have an extra album, which era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to have seen the Yes album they were apparently working on around 1989/1990, when Jon was doing ABWH, come to fruition.

And I would have liked an ARW album.

Comment

Moraz. Bruford. Relayer2.

Comment

Only ONE extra album? I voted Drama line-up but there's a lot of slots just open for them to have squeezed in an extra album.

Relayer: Yes, needed one more with Moraz. The world is poorer without that missing 1975/6 album of cosmic fusion from that line-up. Another 20minute odyssey that really pushed the boundary - count me in.

Drama: a 1981 album from that lineup would be high on my personal list. I kinda did get my wish with Fly From Here but that was 30 years later. A razor-sharp futuristic 1981 album would have been up my alley.

YesWest(not a fan of that description/name): I agree, a 1985 album was needed to keep that magic rolling, and to get Yes on the bill for Live Aid. More hits! More videos! More 80's hair! More Red & Blue/Hello Goodbye mixes. Haters, get back! One more glossy energetic album from the 90125 lineup would have been fine. Maybe a 1995/6 album after Talk instead of the Keys era, just wondering...

Union: a workable 8-man effort for a 1992 album. They could have made it work with mix-and-match lineups - nobody has to have all 8 at the same time. That would have been like a small Yes chamber/orchestra. Then bring in guests Peter Banks and Patrick Moraz.

Reformed Classic lineup 2002-4: I always felt that Yes dropped the ball with this era. When Rick Wakeman returned after Magnification in 2002, they should have done the album they always say or Rick always says they were always stopped from doing for one reason or another (Tormato, Paris, Keys). They toured instead, and didn't capitalize on the return of Rick to create a masterful new 21st century Yes album.

ARW: see above
        Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 02-13-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I voted for one of each as in reality i have made fan made albums for practically every one of those lineups

Comment

Well not an era, but I remember more than a few music stores having extra Tormato albums. So many left over printed ones in fact, that they were sold as cut-outs albums, which I had never seen before, and probably haven't since.

Tom/whiteskyn tells a story visiting relatives as a kid, where he goes to a carnival. He wins in a game of chance, and has a choice of a goldfish, or the Tormato album as a prize. YES albums at a carnival as prizes? What the heck?

Comment

This is such a great question, as Yes, maybe more than any other prog band of its era, has such a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory… the constant comings and goings and disruptions have made it, in some ways, difficult to build momentum, or capitalize on a direction. So on the one hand, yeah, there are some "gaps" that could have been filled in interesting ways:

- Relayer was brimming with weird ideas an sounds, and Moraz brought a lot of new sounds to the table, so a ’75 or ’76 album could have been just as stunning, although the direction Yes did take, with the solo albums and Going for the One, didn't turn out too badly…
              - 90125 changed course as dramatically (pun intended) as anyone could have wished for, but the four years between it and Big Generator was clearly a lot of lost momentum. An album in ’85 or early ’86 could have kept that chart action going, and changed the direction of the band in immeasurable ways.
              - I'm still curious as to what exactly they were thinking with ABWH II, as none of the demos or material turned in for Union seems to advance what was happening on ABWH I, in fact retreats from it, for the most part. I don't necessarily mind, as I do like a lot of the ABWH songs on Union, but it's still kind of weird to go from Quartet and Order of the Universe to Dangerous…

But then just as I was thinking this, I thought of albums with the exact same lineup as their predecessors: Time and a Word, Close to the Edge, Tormato, Big Generator, Keys II. Hmm. One of those things is not like the other, indeed… So maybe the constant change is for the best…

As for the 2002-04 lineup, curious as to what they were each working on in that time frame anyways: seems like a bit of a missing decade from a lot of them, creatively/songwriting wise?

Comment

Great question, I still want the Classic LineUp Album which never happened after 2004
                "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Definitely an album from the Relayer line-up. And the current guys should have got their collective arses together post H&E and given us something before The Quest.

I'm not sure ARW can give us an extra album. That implies there is already one to add to. 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

This really is a great question. The story of Yes is a story of missed opportunities, even considering all they've given us. I voted for the early and late classic periods, though I certainly sympathize with everyone who'd like a new treasure from one of the other eras. But to think about another Close to the Edge, another Tales, another Relayer...that would have been fantastic. Actually, thinking about this reminds me of when I first started getting into Yes, long about 1981. I got to discover all those albums prior to that, so each was like finding a lost treasure. At this point, though, the best we can hope for are more archival live releases, with stunning interpretations of their classics plus a cool cover or two thrown in. Where's that early years set? Where is a set representing the years between CTTE and Drama (other than Yesshows)? Please, please, please?

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                      Yep. Another album with Pat Moraz in the lineup.
                      Can I have a second choice? Yes? Great, thanks!

I'm a Yeswhole kind of fan, so in addition to the Relayer lineup, I'd have been very happy with yet another YesWest album.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
                        - I'm still curious as to what exactly they were thinking with ABWH II, as none of the demos or material turned in for Union seems to advance what was happening on ABWH I, in fact retreats from it, for the most part. I don't necessarily mind, as I do like a lot of the ABWH songs on Union, but it's still kind of weird to go from Quartet and Order of the Universe to Dangerous…
                        Listen to the versions of Union pieces on Steve Howe's Anthology 2.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Listen to the versions of Union pieces on Steve Howe's Anthology 2.
                          Ha, all the songs I’d want to hear are blocked from streaming or marked “album only” on iTunes, and $39.99 buys a lot of Jon Anderson Patreons these daze…

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

Ha, all the songs I’d want to hear are blocked from streaming or marked “album only” on iTunes, and $39.99 buys a lot of Jon Anderson Patreons these daze…
                            Now, there is this rather new thing amongst us youngsters, which is called YouTube. You might be surprised what you can find there, music wise

Comment

Not sure you could improve on the 71-73 output.

Looking at the shear joy and commitment, and the sound and new energy that came from this collaboration and output from Steve, Chris and Alan, when joining Geoffrey and Trevor Horn. A one-off from this magical combination was most likely only cut short from a tour, where Trevor couldn't keep up, vocally.

Trevor impressed me first on Dollar's Mirror, Mirror, with his bass playing the very first time I heard it on the BBC, in Amman, Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Now, there is this rather new thing amongst us youngsters, which is called YouTube. You might be surprised what you can find there, music wise

Well, yeah, I may not find Mr Howe's business decisions to my convenience, but I respect them, as I would, of course, cherry pick the handful of songs I want… He or his label has chosen not to encourage that, and that's fine. I'm an Olde, and still like to pay for music, just to keep them in business. But the $40 for Anthology 2, well, esp. as we're in a State of Emergency™ right now, martial law says you can only listen to 2112, 24/7, so see you at the Temples…

Comment

Working...
                                X