No announcement yet.

Yes are releasing a new music video for A Living Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the song. The video was uninspiring.

I understand that part of making these albums economically viable given their vastly decreased revenues relative to albums of the 70s and 80s is that we might have to do without things like music videos, or have them done inexpensively, and I'm fine with that. The music itself is what I really enjoy and what I listen to. I can't remember the last time I watched the music videos for a lot of my favorite songs- in fact, for many of them, the answer may well be that I never have.

I can also understand not wanting to put much money into these things in light of there no longer being a mass audience for music videos on television. Bands started making more music videos because of MTV, and MTV and channels like it are basically gone in the sense of being platforms for music videos. So, it's no longer really a promotional necessity to do a great video either. Maybe they get more views on YouTube than a still image with music- I don't know.

However, even assuming that their budget and the modern music promotional landscape limits them to moving along still images and computer graphics effects, I think this could have been done better. What really jumps at me is that the song is about, in part, a tropical island in the Caribbean with coral reefs, and they are showing snow capped mountains, trees from northern climates, bonsai trees from Japan, islands that consist of only rock, ocean water that isn't the same color as the Caribbean, and some other things along those lines that just aren't even remotely similar to what the song is about. Only a small amount of it seems to be visuals that one might associate with a tropical island. Would it have cost more to actually have it be tropical island type scenery that whole time (or at least a greater percentage of the time)? Maybe a sandy beach thrown in?

The other thing is that the song is also about a romance and a pandemic. Couldn't they have gotten a picture or a homemade video of, I don't know, Juano and his girl watching a news report on TV with generic hospital type stuff going on (Maybe with a headline that indicates that travel restrictions are in place), and a window showing the beach and the ocean behind them? Heck, they could even animate them or use stand-ins if they don't want the actual people in the video. One of the pluses for making a music video like this cheaply and doing it in this day and age is that most smartphones are actually capable of filming or taking pictures well enough that they could be used in a video like this (Maybe changed into black and white or with some other effects to cover that they might just be filmed with friends or family who are on hand). Even stock photos of couples in love on the beach might have worked, perhaps even made to look like Polaroid pictures and piled on top of each other during a segment of the video. Maybe a point where people are reading death tolls on TV or talking about uncertainties and a couple reacts cuddling on a couch, or a nightstand with a wallet, keys, and surgical mask (If you want to go really crazy, perhaps having what is implied to be a couple off camera tossing items and clothes that include a mask on the furniture and the floor with the video just showing the items flying and landing).

People mentioned that the band might be too old to be a focal point for a video like this, but Juano is probably young enough to work. I don't know what his girlfriend looks like, but if she isn't, they could use a model, budget permitting. Maybe a cameo of Steve Howe in a wicker chair on the beach playing a guitar for a few seconds, if it wouldn't be too expensive (I mean, sure, he's old, but it's just a few seconds, and Steve might be the person viewers are most familiar with in the current band).

Someone posted the video for "We Can Fly", and while I am assuming that cost too much money and might have been one of the reasons Fly From Here was said to have only broken even or lost money for the band (If it was as inexpensive as these videos, they should totally go back to it- I'm just kind of assuming if it was, we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing), I would tend to think they could still do better than they are doing on their existing budget. I feel like there wasn't much effort made to make the video match the song- and not in a "tells a completely different cool story" kind of way.

However, I'm just talking about it because it's a thread here on the forum. I have to admit, at my core, I really don't care. I am not going to be watching these videos in years to come, the music is what I was so eagerly anticipating and what I enjoy. I'd barely notice if they weren't making any videos at all. That's not really something I care much about.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
      People mentioned that the band might be too old to be a focal point for a video like this, but Juano is probably young enough to work. I don't know what his girlfriend looks like, but if she isn't, they could use a model, budget permitting.
      Emily Lodge is about the same age as Davison. There are a lot of people online called Emily Lodge, so it's difficult to work out which are the Emily Lodge, but this is her, in the middle, a few years ago: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492651646711051783/

Comment

It’s a real shame they didn’t use this video as an opportunity to do a shot for shot remake of Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” only set to the music of “A Living Island”.

“Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
          Emily Lodge is about the same age as Davison. There are a lot of people online called Emily Lodge, so it's difficult to work out which are the Emily Lodge, but this is her, in the middle, a few years ago: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492651646711051783/
          Based on the photo, she's definitely young and good looking enough looking to play herself (or authorize her image to be used) in a video like this. Of course, even putting it that way makes me wonder if it should even matter- this isn't the MTV era where looks were paramount for music videos anyway, the audience for a Yes video on YouTube might value authenticity over appearance anyway (Although, as I said, maybe it's just me, but she looks gorgeous for 50 [ish], so I don't think that's the tradeoff anyway).
          "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Hooley Dooley. Never good karma to have your current squeeze in a video. Though JLo probly had Ben in one back in the day. Exception to the rule

Courtney Cox used to be the go-to girl for music videos for eye candy. Springsteen? Bon Jovi? Counting Crows? She still scrubs up pretty OK. 50 is the new 30. And all that. Though she may only do Snow Patrol videos now. 😍

Two of the better videos, OOALH and FFH actually portray anxious men escaping threats. But as this is a love song and a paen to communal sacrifice, an anxious man could be consoled by a lover. (And a nurse!) Hooley Dooley!

On a related point. What has Wayne Joyner got to do to be mentioned in Where Are They Now? Produce 5 videos for YES.? 6?....... Henry?
            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 02-12-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
              Wayne Joyner.

Ok. I've done my own research on this cat.
              So far so good, long lank hair and goatee. Tick.
              Cut his graphics teeth on the weather channel. Tick. Doesn't hail from Iceland as previously thought. But from Atlanta Georgia. Tick. Works for loads of metal/prog bands. Tick. Seems like a nice,humble guy. Tick. As he says, he's just a fan. Tick.

Took on board ideas from Geoff. Tick.

But the video is still shockingly poor. It has no resonance to Yes. I can’t see anyone watching it who then deicides I am going to buy the album

Comment

On a related point. What has Wayne Joyner got to do to be mentioned in Where Are They Now? Produce 5 videos for YES.? 6?....... Henry?
                He's there now!

Comment

Upon further reassessment, maybe the video for The Ice Bridge is the best. Too much kaleidoscope in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
                    Upon further reassessment, maybe the video for The Ice Bridge is the best. Too much kaleidoscope in this one.
                    Takes me back to the guitar solo on Stairway to Heaven from The Song Remains the Same...
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I recall a 1994 video from Blues Traveller in which a fake band is on stage pretending to play the music. The fake band is young, edgy, fashionable, sexy.

The real band is actually playing backstage.

They mix it up with a bit of a Wizard of Oz "man behind the curtain" homage as well.

Possibly inspired by Milli Vanilli being exposed as frauds in 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by highfell View Post

But the video is still shockingly poor. It has no resonance to Yes. I can’t see anyone watching it who then deicides I am going to buy the album
                        Compared to this video, which is nicely done :

https://www.thenewyesfans.com/forum/...morse-jennings

Comment

He's there now!
                          Had a look. Where?

Comment

OK. some conflicting views about the song and video.

Thankfully some random dude on Youtube has opined from the front seat of his car.

https://youtu.be/C-yRYmGUigw

The sophistication is next level. Car seems to be parked in a McDonalds carpark. Probably filmed after dropping off the kids to the ex-wife.
                            The pathos is actually heartbreaking. One is reminded of that lonely and deluded Rob Brydon series about the taxi driver stalking his ex-wife.

He refers to himself in the third person. He even has the nerve to mention PayPal and bitcoin. He probably just needs a hug.
                            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 02-13-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Had a look. Where?
                              You're right. I swear I changed it... must have lost an update somewhere.

Will fix.

Comment

You're right. I swear I changed it... must have lost an update somewhere.

Will fix.
                                There you go. I hadn't FTP'd the latest version over to the server!

Comment

Working...
                                X