Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downbyariver
    replied
    I really like the song. The video was uninspiring.

I understand that part of making these albums economically viable given their vastly decreased revenues relative to albums of the 70s and 80s is that we might have to do without things like music videos, or have them done inexpensively, and I'm fine with that. The music itself is what I really enjoy and what I listen to. I can't remember the last time I watched the music videos for a lot of my favorite songs- in fact, for many of them, the answer may well be that I never have.

I can also understand not wanting to put much money into these things in light of there no longer being a mass audience for music videos on television. Bands started making more music videos because of MTV, and MTV and channels like it are basically gone in the sense of being platforms for music videos. So, it's no longer really a promotional necessity to do a great video either. Maybe they get more views on YouTube than a still image with music- I don't know.

However, even assuming that their budget and the modern music promotional landscape limits them to moving along still images and computer graphics effects, I think this could have been done better. What really jumps at me is that the song is about, in part, a tropical island in the Caribbean with coral reefs, and they are showing snow capped mountains, trees from northern climates, bonsai trees from Japan, islands that consist of only rock, ocean water that isn't the same color as the Caribbean, and some other things along those lines that just aren't even remotely similar to what the song is about. Only a small amount of it seems to be visuals that one might associate with a tropical island. Would it have cost more to actually have it be tropical island type scenery that whole time (or at least a greater percentage of the time)? Maybe a sandy beach thrown in?

The other thing is that the song is also about a romance and a pandemic. Couldn't they have gotten a picture or a homemade video of, I don't know, Juano and his girl watching a news report on TV with generic hospital type stuff going on (Maybe with a headline that indicates that travel restrictions are in place), and a window showing the beach and the ocean behind them? Heck, they could even animate them or use stand-ins if they don't want the actual people in the video. One of the pluses for making a music video like this cheaply and doing it in this day and age is that most smartphones are actually capable of filming or taking pictures well enough that they could be used in a video like this (Maybe changed into black and white or with some other effects to cover that they might just be filmed with friends or family who are on hand). Even stock photos of couples in love on the beach might have worked, perhaps even made to look like Polaroid pictures and piled on top of each other during a segment of the video. Maybe a point where people are reading death tolls on TV or talking about uncertainties and a couple reacts cuddling on a couch, or a nightstand with a wallet, keys, and surgical mask (If you want to go really crazy, perhaps having what is implied to be a couple off camera tossing items and clothes that include a mask on the furniture and the floor with the video just showing the items flying and landing).

People mentioned that the band might be too old to be a focal point for a video like this, but Juano is probably young enough to work. I don't know what his girlfriend looks like, but if she isn't, they could use a model, budget permitting. Maybe a cameo of Steve Howe in a wicker chair on the beach playing a guitar for a few seconds, if it wouldn't be too expensive (I mean, sure, he's old, but it's just a few seconds, and Steve might be the person viewers are most familiar with in the current band).

Someone posted the video for "We Can Fly", and while I am assuming that cost too much money and might have been one of the reasons Fly From Here was said to have only broken even or lost money for the band (If it was as inexpensive as these videos, they should totally go back to it- I'm just kind of assuming if it was, we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing), I would tend to think they could still do better than they are doing on their existing budget. I feel like there wasn't much effort made to make the video match the song- and not in a "tells a completely different cool story" kind of way.

However, I'm just talking about it because it's a thread here on the forum. I have to admit, at my core, I really don't care. I am not going to be watching these videos in years to come, the music is what I was so eagerly anticipating and what I enjoy. I'd barely notice if they weren't making any videos at all. That's not really something I care much about.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Or the filmmaker behind the new Tears for Fears video " Breaking the Man". Its an epic computer animation featuring a common man. In an Escher-like urban world. Black and white. Ends brilliantly in color. Song is great too.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Controversially!!!! How is this not far better? :-)

No kaleidoscopic landscapes

I f I had a million cryptocurrency gazoolies. I could employ a renowned epic filmmaker like Peter Jackson but 'pon reflection I would bankroll Jane Campion. Having seen The Power of the Dog and remembering The Piano she would do a great job.

The scene of the piano on the windswept beach with the little girl dancing is only rivaled in cinema by the athletic lads jogging on the windswept beach in Chariots of Fire.

Cue our 5 lads gamely trotting along a windswept Cornish beach with Geoff's Yamaha plonked on the sand.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
    Rather controversially, over on Progears.com , Henry has suggested they bring back Ken Horn ( Trevor's TV producer brother) to do these videos. Did he do the FFH one? On the plane?

Seems Ken was co-producer on recent series of Line of Duty. So that is impressive.

Got me thinking. If you had a few million cryptocurrency gazoolies to spare. Who would you employ to direct YES videos?
    Controversially!!!! How is this not far better? :-)

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Pan's People!
    Better still, Hot Gossip.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Gossip and check out the last sentence, about the spin-off Sponooch.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post
    Is it me, or are all 4 videos essentially the same.....3 of the 4 for sure....same production / style.....Interchangeable

Future memories somewhat different, I like the covers recap, Iā€™m a sucker for that stuff - and it reminds me of the view of my dining room from my spot in the living room šŸ˜‚šŸ˜†šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜‰.
    Bring back Ken Horn!

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Wayne Joyner.

Ok. I've done my own research on this cat.
    So far so good, long lank hair and goatee. Tick.
    Cut his graphics teeth on the weather channel. Tick. Doesn't hail from Iceland as previously thought. But from Atlanta Georgia. Tick. Works for loads of metal/prog bands. Tick. Seems like a nice,humble guy. Tick. As he says, he's just a fan. Tick.

Took on board ideas from Geoff. Tick.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

I believe it is Wayne Joyner. Pay up. šŸ˜
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-10 182357.jpg Views:	3 Size:	158.6 KB ID:	7162
    Well done!

Now just send me your banking details, PIN # and such forth and the moolah will be in the mail

Now to see who this Joyner fellow is....

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    I can't bring to mind any promotional music videos I like... The really old ones usually have awful lip-synching, and then the corporate design team and fashionistas got involved and they turned into everything about the 1980s I loathe, but with added shoulder-pads and mousse.

Oh, I liked the one the Old Grey Whistle Test put together for Trampled Underfoot in 1975. Just some silent film of slappers doing the Charleston which fitted the rhythm of the song perfectly.

But the professional studio promotional video to sell the song, not a one do I care for.

Leave a comment:

• josuev80
    replied
    2,000,000 cryptocurrency gazoolies to the first person who can discover the individual or studio behind all these videos.

Do we need Dan Roth again?
    I believe it is Wayne Joyner. Pay up. šŸ˜
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-10 182357.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	7162

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    It was kind of corny and clunky? But the landscapes that were used were nice, just that they got reused - and inserting the logo and album cover and song title at several points is just...not it.
    Last edited by luna65; 02-17-2022, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Rather controversially, over on Progears.com , Henry has suggested they bring back Ken Horn ( Trevor's TV producer brother) to do these videos. Did he do the FFH one? On the plane?

Seems Ken was co-producer on recent series of Line of Duty. So that is impressive.

Got me thinking. If you had a few million cryptocurrency gazoolies to spare. Who would you employ to direct YES videos?

Leave a comment:

• josuev80
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    Bring on the dancing girls....!

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    2,000,000 cryptocurrency gazoolies to the first person who can discover the individual or studio behind all these videos.

Do we need Dan Roth again?

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    The Real Deal.....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X