X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soundchaser09
    replied
    Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
    This thread's been running almost a year now, so here's a quick test: without looking, if you added to it earlier, rank the albums again, and see how close you get to your original. Things can change, can't they? As can people…
    Surprisingly mine would be the same

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    This thread's been running almost a year now, so here's a quick test: without looking, if you added to it earlier, rank the albums again, and see how close you get to your original. Things can change, can't they? As can people…

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    Originally posted by Elizabeth "The Phish" View Post
    I've included the studio tracks of Keys to Ascension 1&2 under Keystudio because I truly believe that fusing the live stuff and the studio and basically burying the studio stuff was a mistake. Also Keystudio has a much better flow then listening to "Be the One", "That, That Is" and then the studio disc of Keys to Ascension 2 in order.

Yes Yes YES!

that album edit of "Take the Water to the Mountain" holds it back
    WHY was this Edited?

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    My Top Dozen:
    1. Close To The Edge
    2. Fragile

3. Tales From Topographic Oceans
    4. Going For The One
    5. The Yes Album
    6. Relayer
    7. Keys To Ascension

8. ABWH
    9. The Ladder
    10. Magnification
    11. Union

12. Drama

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Back during the pandemic 2020, I was watching a lot of 'Rank The Albums' shows on youtube and such. I managed to jot down my own rankings for a lot of my favorite groups. Here's the one I did for Yes, though as everybody knows, ranking albums isn't a set in stone thing for the most part. This probably wouldn't be my list of 2022. I have my favorites and least favorites, but the stuff i the middle may indeed move up and down the list. Here's what I had in 2020:

1) Drama
    2) Tales
    3) Yes Album
    4) Relayer
    5) Close To The Edge
    6) Going For The One
    7) 90125
    8) Tormato
    9) Big Generator
    10) Yes
    11) Fragile
    12) Time & A Word
    13) Talk
    14) Fly From Here
    15) Union
    16) ABWH
    17) Ladder
    18) Magnification
    19) Paris
    20) Heaven & Earth
    21) From A Page
    22) Keys To Ascension/'Keystudio'
    23) Open Your Eyes

(The Quest wasn't on the list because it hadn't been released yet)

looking at the list today, I must say that this is definitely NOT the ranking I would have today. For example, Going For The One would go down several notches, and things like Talk, Magnification and Union would be somewhat higher. But that's a rank for you, nothing really in stone. Come back next week when Fragile is at number 18 and the Quest is somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 09-13-2022, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied

"To Be Over". I really love "The Gates of Delirium" and "Sound Chaser" but "To Be Over" is a one that I'm not a huge fan of. It's a good track but it usually goes from one ear and goes from the other. It feels the most filler-y track on there, for me. I've observed that that's not really a common take but can't help it. I've listened to it a lotta times too so think that it would stay like that.
    Can't say I disagree with you… I don't mind it, but it overstays its welcome. Might be one of those classic prog rock (and extra classic Yes) scenarios where sometimes the limits of the LP format got in their way, when the CD/download/streaming era might have allowed an album with runtimes of 25, 9, and 4 minutes, without the need to balance out two sides of an LP at roughly 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Ranking music is rank.

Leave a comment:

• Elizabeth "The Phish"
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Which track is holding Relayer back from going up a tier?
    "To Be Over". I really love "The Gates of Delirium" and "Sound Chaser" but "To Be Over" is a one that I'm not a huge fan of. It's a good track but it usually goes from one ear and goes from the other. It feels the most filler-y track on there, for me. I've observed that that's not really a common take but can't help it. I've listened to it a lotta times too so think that it would stay like that.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Didn't know why I didn't try this post too but whatevs. It is time I take a crack at this too.

1) Talk
    Unlike the rest of the albums in the list, I won't be putting this in its own category because I genuinely can't come up with a tier name that would accurately represent how much I love this album/how much it touches me. "Greatest of All Time" would work, I suppose but that sounds a bit boring so.

Perfections/Masterpieces (10/10):

2) The Ladder
    3) Tales from Topopgraphic Oceans
    4) Fly From Here (OG)
    5) Close to the Edge
    6) Big Generator
    7) 90125
    8) Tormato
    9) Magnification
    10) From a Page
    11) Heaven & Earth
    12) Keystudio
    13) Drama

These are the albums that I love every track of dearly. These albums for me have no filler tracks or moments and I have very little to complain about them as I enjoy every nook and cranny of them. And as an overall album experience, they all are some of my favourite like of all time. If you ask me if I have any complains about them, I'd say that "Hour of Need"s full length version should've been on the OG Fly From Here but the middle part is still amazing too, it's just that I'm so used to the full length's intro that it feels a bit jarring to start with the middle part but nothing really major. Heaven & Earth being on there will probably get me some flack but I don't really care. Lol. Also, I've included the studio tracks of Keys to Ascension 1&2 under Keystudio because I truly believe that fusing the live stuff and the studio and basically burying the studio stuff was a mistake. Also Keystudio has a much better flow then listening to "Be the One", "That, That Is" and then the studio disc of Keys to Ascension 2 in order.

Amazing/Near Masterpieces (9/10):

14) Union
    15) Going for the One
    16) Fragile
    17) Time and a Word
    18) Relayer
    19) Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
    20) Yes
    21) The Yes Album

I love most of the tracks on these albums but they have like a few tracks holding them back from going up a tier. Union is the closest for me as most of the tracks on there are some of my favourite songs of the band I'd say but "Evensong" and that album edit of "Take the Water to the Mountain" holds it back, for me. Going for the One and The Yes Album tracks are consistently good but I really never find myself listening to the studio versions of "Awaken", "Yours Is No Disgrace", "Starship Trooper" and a few others. Though even if I listen to any of these albums back-to-back I'd still have a pretty great time.

Great (8/10):
    Nothing's in here so.

Pretty Good (7/10):

22) Fly From Here: Return Trip
    23) Open Your Eyes
    24) The Quest

In the case of Return Trip being on here, I really think that they butchered the album. Not like Horn sings bad or anything but it's mostly for the instrumental changes. My arch nemesis when it comes to changes is how they moved the ending of "We Can Fly" to the reprise which ruins the song's flow for me considering the transition to "Sad Night at the Airfield" is also something I don't like. "Sad Night at the Airfield" and "Hour of Need" probably had the best changes, for the former I like that it is a lot different to the OG and for the latter, let's just say that the inclusion of the intro and outro makes it an improvement, for me. "Don't Take No for an Answer" is an okay track but not really needed to be there, in my opinion. Open Your Eyes I like a lot more than the other two in terms of its best stuff but my least favourite songs are also my least favourite songs of Yes too so. Though the least favourite part can also go for The Quest as I think that both of those albums have some amazing songs that is held back by a bunch of decent or filler-y tracks and there are more on those albums than any other Yes album, in my opinion, which is why they are this low, obviously.

Bonus Thoughts:
    There isn,'t really any album of Yes that I don't find enjoyment out of. And even if The Quest is at the bottom of my list, I'll be waiting for the a possibly follow-up to come out eagerly. And about the bonus tracks, I think that some of them could've worked on the album but I don't really mind the albums not being released without the non-album tracks. And if you ask, yes, I do consider "Give & Take" to actually be a part of the album. But okay, that's it from me!
    Which track is holding Relayer back from going up a tier?

Leave a comment:

• Elizabeth "The Phish"
    replied
    Didn't know why I didn't try this post too but whatevs. It is time I take a crack at this too.

1) Talk
    Unlike the rest of the albums in the list, I won't be putting this in its own category because I genuinely can't come up with a tier name that would accurately represent how much I love this album/how much it touches me. "Greatest of All Time" would work, I suppose but that sounds a bit boring so.

Perfections/Masterpieces (10/10):

2) The Ladder
    3) Tales from Topopgraphic Oceans
    4) Fly From Here (OG)
    5) Close to the Edge
    6) Big Generator
    7) 90125
    8) Tormato
    9) Magnification
    10) From a Page
    11) Heaven & Earth
    12) Keystudio
    13) Drama

These are the albums that I love every track of dearly. These albums for me have no filler tracks or moments and I have very little to complain about them as I enjoy every nook and cranny of them. And as an overall album experience, they all are some of my favourite like of all time. If you ask me if I have any complains about them, I'd say that "Hour of Need"s full length version should've been on the OG Fly From Here but the middle part is still amazing too, it's just that I'm so used to the full length's intro that it feels a bit jarring to start with the middle part but nothing really major. Heaven & Earth being on there will probably get me some flack but I don't really care. Lol. Also, I've included the studio tracks of Keys to Ascension 1&2 under Keystudio because I truly believe that fusing the live stuff and the studio and basically burying the studio stuff was a mistake. Also Keystudio has a much better flow then listening to "Be the One", "That, That Is" and then the studio disc of Keys to Ascension 2 in order.

Amazing/Near Masterpieces (9/10):

14) Union
    15) Going for the One
    16) Fragile
    17) Time and a Word
    18) Relayer
    19) Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
    20) Yes
    21) The Yes Album

I love most of the tracks on these albums but they have like a few tracks holding them back from going up a tier. Union is the closest for me as most of the tracks on there are some of my favourite songs of the band I'd say but "Evensong" and that album edit of "Take the Water to the Mountain" holds it back, for me. Going for the One and The Yes Album tracks are consistently good but I really never find myself listening to the studio versions of "Awaken", "Yours Is No Disgrace", "Starship Trooper" and a few others. Though even if I listen to any of these albums back-to-back I'd still have a pretty great time.

Great (8/10):
    Nothing's in here so.

Pretty Good (7/10):

22) Fly From Here: Return Trip
    23) Open Your Eyes
    24) The Quest

In the case of Return Trip being on here, I really think that they butchered the album. Not like Horn sings bad or anything but it's mostly for the instrumental changes. My arch nemesis when it comes to changes is how they moved the ending of "We Can Fly" to the reprise which ruins the song's flow for me considering the transition to "Sad Night at the Airfield" is also something I don't like. "Sad Night at the Airfield" and "Hour of Need" probably had the best changes, for the former I like that it is a lot different to the OG and for the latter, let's just say that the inclusion of the intro and outro makes it an improvement, for me. "Don't Take No for an Answer" is an okay track but not really needed to be there, in my opinion. Open Your Eyes I like a lot more than the other two in terms of its best stuff but my least favourite songs are also my least favourite songs of Yes too so. Though the least favourite part can also go for The Quest as I think that both of those albums have some amazing songs that is held back by a bunch of decent or filler-y tracks and there are more on those albums than any other Yes album, in my opinion, which is why they are this low, obviously.

Bonus Thoughts:
    There isn,'t really any album of Yes that I don't find enjoyment out of. And even if The Quest is at the bottom of my list, I'll be waiting for the a possibly follow-up to come out eagerly. And about the bonus tracks, I think that some of them could've worked on the album but I don't really mind the albums not being released without the non-album tracks. And if you ask, yes, I do consider "Give & Take" to actually be a part of the album. But okay, that's it from me!

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    Top 10 Best Albums:

CTTE
    ​​TYA
    Fragile
    Relayer
    Drama
    GFTO
    Tormato
    Tales
    FFH

Top 10 Favorites :

TYA
    CTTE
    Tormato
    FFH
    Big Generator
    Relayer
    GFTO
    Drama
    The Quest

The Only Studio Albums/Tracks I Still Listen To 😁:

The Quest
    FFH
    H&E
    Tormato
    CTTE - the song
    To Be Over
    Lift Me Up
    I'm Running

For all my other Yes needs, it's various live recordings.

​​​​​

​​​
    ​​​
    ​​​​

​​​

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
    Y'know, I strongly suspect I like Big Generator more than most people around here, and that's still a pretty strong take…
    Not as much as I do!

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    anyone else wanna give it a go?

Leave a comment:

• Ant45
    replied
    Here goes:
    Close to the Edge
    The Yes Album
    Fragile