X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny
    replied
    Originally posted by ragtime View Post

I've always thought of Tormato as Tor, which sounds pretty cool to me, and Keystudio as Mind Drive.
    "Onward" was my choice, ideally with a Roger Dean cover. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been ironic.

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenny View Post
    DissUnion would be the perfect title for the album that Jonathan Elias butchered.
    That’s a bit onesided to put it mildly...

Leave a comment:

• Kenny
    replied
    DissUnion would be the perfect title for the album that Jonathan Elias butchered.

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by josuev80 View Post
    The should do the same methods as Peter Gabriel albums. First 4 albums all the same names then some albums with 4 or fewer letter titles.
    I was thinking the same, exact thing. In fact I had written all the album names down when I saw Yorkshire had quoted you.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiritual Architect View Post
    I think 'Keys To Ascension' WAS the original title of the studio album - BEFORE the record company chopped it up and added the live sections.
    Weren't they gunna call it KNOW. (?)

The only retitlin' I feel strongly about would be "That,That Is" . "Gangland Symphony" is better.

The Quest was gonna be called The Owl Pass as it was linked to Roger's paintin' and linked lyrically to TIB. But the record company wanted a more generic title. ( a rumour I'm tryin' to start. Based on Roger callin' his exhibition with TQ cover, The Owl Pass. At Tradin' Boundaries. )

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    I think 'Keys To Ascension' WAS the original title of the studio album - BEFORE the record company chopped it up and added the live sections.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    From day one I thought "Homeworld" should have been the title.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Never liked the title 'Keystudio'- like, of course it's from a studio - it's new songs recorded in a studio ain-it! Actually whenever I think of Keys To Ascension I always refer to the studio tracks and never the live portion of it. When they collected the studio part together and re-released it as Keystudo, I think it should have been called 'Keys To Ascension', officially defining that material as 'Keys To Ascension' and the live stuff should have been re-released separately as 'Live In San Obispo'.

Leave a comment:

• ragtime
    replied
    Originally posted by The sage View Post
    I would probably only rename Tormato to Tor or Yes Tor which i think was the original title and get rid of the cover- and ( tongue in check) rename Heaven and Earth to Hell- given its such a hellishly poor album! Doh! And I think its time to officially redesignate ABWH as a Yes album
    I've always thought of Tormato as Tor, which sounds pretty cool to me, and Keystudio as Mind Drive.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Square
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

1: And his name in the same font. Lower case helvetica? Seemed revolutionary at the time. And my fave was "Melt". What were the others? Raindrops? Can't remember the other 2.

2: Led Zep did the same thing for first four.
    Car, Scratch, Melt and Security.

Led Zeppelin released Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and [Untitled] aka Led Zeppelin IV or Four Runes, so not quite the same.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

It always makes me chuckle that the record company in the US had to give those first four albums "names" as presumably their customers couldn't differentiate them otherwise. 😆
    1: And his name in the same font. Lower case helvetica? Seemed revolutionary at the time. And my fave was "Melt". What were the others? Raindrops? Can't remember the other 2.

2: Led Zep did the same thing for first four.

3: Ash Armstrong , re fondling Gabriel's tukkus. You always have the best rock stories. Re Sledge hammer, this may give you a headache but have you heard Harry Styles cover the song on the Howard Stern Show with his band? Pretty darned good. Nails the phrasing.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 02-04-2022, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Sledgehammer and So were Gabriel at his most commercial sounding, I believe he wanted to make a more R&B styled album. Yeah, Sledgehammer - I don't really hate it, but it was played to death on the radio and to this day the muzak system of many a shopping plaza rings with its sound. Reminds me of 'Higher Love' by Steve Winwood - a song I actually do dislike - which I don't really need to hear again any time soon.

So was as far as he goes in that poppier direction, but his very few albums after that (Us & Up) were a little more experimental in places - like Passion with vocals. It's like he got scared off by the success of So and went into a more atmospheric direction, especially 'Up' which is his last 'rock/pop/vocal' album-with-tour kinda thing. People wanted him to repeat that formula, but he never was as commercial again. He's done stuff of value since So, but it is hard to beat that third album.

Daniel Lanois, oddly enough I don't think I own any of his other than his appearances on other's albums and Brian Eno and things like that. I know he's an excellent artist and I would probably like a lot of his work, just never got around to taking the plunge. Acadie and Passion, both the same year - 1989.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    Very cool. I didn't get to see him until Secret World live in 1993, but still a magical show. I used to tell people all the time, if Peter Gabriel comes your way on tour, go see him. Whether someone even likes him or not, or prefers old Genesis or whatever, you'll walk away with a smile. The 1980 tour you saw, was that the tour where he had a shaved head and the band all wore orange safety/construction vests or was that the Scratch/second album tour?

Wouldn't mind a new Peter Gabriel album, waaaaaay overdue for one.
    They all wore one-piece boiler-suits I think. I don't remember the colour. The 1980 UK tour was in city concert halls, 2000 approx capacity. All very low key, informal set up, just the band on stage playing.
    I was less interested in what he was doing with So and after. Daniel Lanois, of whose own music I'm a big fan, did a great job at the desk on that album, but the music wasn't much to my liking: I loathed Sledgehammer, still can't stand it.
    My personal favourites are the third album and Passion. I don't think I've even heard any of the albums after So.

Coincidentally, I listened to Daniel Lanois's Acadie earlier today. Came out in 1989. Beautiful album. His first I think. First time I heard it was late one night at a friend's house back then, while partaking of some very fine Nepalese Temple Ball hashish.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Very cool. I didn't get to see him until Secret World live in 1993, but still a magical show. I used to tell people all the time, if Peter Gabriel comes your way on tour, go see him. Whether someone even likes him or not, or prefers old Genesis or whatever, you'll walk away with a smile. The 1980 tour you saw, was that the tour where he had a shaved head and the band all wore orange safety/construction vests or was that the Scratch/second album tour?

Wouldn't mind a new Peter Gabriel album, waaaaaay overdue for one.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    It always makes me chuckle that the record company in the US had to give those first four albums "names" as presumably their customers couldn't differentiate them otherwise. 😆

I believe the only Peter Gabriel album given a 'name' by Geffen in the US out of the first four albums was the fourth one - which was called 'Security'. Did Gabriel come up with 'Security' as a title or did someone from the label push it on him, and I wonder who? 'Security' isn't actually a bad title, but Gabriel probably would have been more likely to call it 'Insecurity'. That sounds more Gabriel. I think I read that Gabriel didn't want titles on any of them because he wanted them to be seen as serial, like issues of a magazine. Didn't help that they all had the same logo font. And I think the titles they are unofficially known as - 'Car', 'Scratch', 'Melt' - didn't become unofficial titles until way later. I used to refer to them as 'The One Where His Face Is Melting On The Front Cover', etc.

I think I read later in some interview that the record company insisted on a regular face photo for 1986's SO because they said that the previous albums with artsy pictures of his face manipulated or obscured 'alienated women'.
    They were known as the first, second, third, and fourth Peter Gabriel albums, which seems to differentiate them reasonably well.

Saw him on the tour for the third one in 1980. Did his backward fall into the audience during Games Without Frontiers, so had a chance to join in singing it. I also had the dubious privilege of placing both hands on his bum to help get him back onto the stage. Yes, these hands have groped the arse of Peter Gabriel..!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X