Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Breaking news! A friend/customer gave me her The Quest c.d. to listen to, last night
    I think I'm on track four. Kind of pleasant, kind of poppy, so far. Big difference listening to this album with the bass cranked up, the way I like it . Billy, doing a great job as usual in the bottom end, sounding much like, well a YES album.Jon and Steve actually sound pretty good together. The old man, and the not so old man. Good combination. Steve really sounding good. Missing the counter Chris singing and harmonies. Alan has to go. Too simple beats. Is it track 2 or 3, where possibly Jay adds some more excitement on the skins, or were two drum parts mixed in on a few sections? I heard some like tape hiss, or some equipment noise at the end of track 3. When you listen to this on YouTube, even with studio phones, Job's voice sounded/ sound really, really thin. Not so with the physical copy.

I don't know if I should break out the studio headphones, it go for a drive tomorrow, and listen to more.

Some excitement going on at times, but no where near my new Saxon and K.K.'s Priest albums, but that is what I like about YES. Looking forward to hearing more, which I didn't really think I would. YES has always been about changes in recordings. Not as extreme as Billy Joel though. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Sam I Am
    replied
    I liked From a Page. The Quest - not so much.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Davy View Post
    I really liked To The Moment and Gift of Love at first, but I've grown tired of To The Moment especially.
    I like "To the Moment", but it is a very straightforward song. There's not much in it that you don't hear straight away.

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    Originally posted by profusion View Post
    I must be the only person who finds From A Page to be a bit of a snooze. The Quest is much better and more fully realized, in my opinion.
    I really liked To The Moment and Gift of Love at first, but I've grown tired of To The Moment especially.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by michelforest View Post
    I listened to both on Spotify. From a page has two songs that are quite good, "To the Moment" (I prefer the short version, more concise, the long version has a rather pointless guitar intro at the beginning) and "The Gift of Love" has a nice melody and great vocals by the late, great Chris Squire.

"The Quest" left me completely cold. I listened to it all the way through twice and have no interest in ever listening to it again. I understand that Yes is no longer the band I used to adore, but that's the not problem for me. It's the lack of anything sounding remotely inspired..
    I REALLY dig Gift of Love. A great Yes song

But, I tried to get into The Quest and agree with you. It is just missing some major mojo. I just don't feel anything when I hear it. It is however a nice, well performed, nicely produced Steve Howe Jon Davison album, with some Yes pals. But I do see some fans really dig it, and that is cool. I wish I did! It's the first Yes album I just can't get into.

Leave a comment:

• michelforest
    replied
    I listened to both on Spotify. From a page has two songs that are quite good, "To the Moment" (I prefer the short version, more concise, the long version has a rather pointless guitar intro at the beginning) and "The Gift of Love" has a nice melody and great vocals by the late, great Chris Squire.

"The Quest" left me completely cold. I listened to it all the way through twice and have no interest in ever listening to it again. I understand that Yes is no longer the band I used to adore, but that's the not problem for me. It's the lack of anything sounding remotely inspired. But it is no big deal, as every studio album after "90125" will probably be forgotten by all but the hardcore fans. When Yes is finally over and done, it will go down in history as one of the most important prog rock acts, the band that recorded some amazing records between 1971 and 1980 and had a completely unexpected #1 hit in 1983.

Leave a comment:

• profusion
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I enjoy FaP, but I think it's a lot more straightforward in its song structures.
    To The Moment is excellent and should have been on Fly From Here, line-up questions notwithstanding. The rest of From a Page sounds like outtakes that were properly cast aside.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by profusion View Post
    I must be the only person who finds From A Page to be a bit of a snooze. The Quest is much better and more fully realized, in my opinion.
    I enjoy FaP, but I think it's a lot more straightforward in its song structures.

Leave a comment:

• profusion
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    So with present circumstances, I could play each, straight through, at a decent volume, in the dark, just listening......each have their own good qualities and one can find their own sweet spot.

My listening pleasure for TQ is definitely a late night, just want to mellow out mood record, and it’s great for
    that. Keeping My glass more than half full!

I clearly like From a Page better. And I’m surprised
    each time I put it on how much I like this record. I prefer BD to JD so that has a big impact. And I can hear Chris......so I embrace this record for its time and place. Glass more than half full! 😊

If you have em, I encourage you to put them on. Find what you like in each. And enjoy that!

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
    I have the patience......but I find it takes me a lot longer than it used to for that "grow on you" thing to happen. It's amazing how many YES-related albums have begun to grown on me, sometimes 20 years after the fact. For instance the 2nd CONSPIRACY album (released in 2005) I have suddenly gained a new appreciation of (partly in response to the recent Billy thread on here, which inspired me to go back to some of those albums !)
    I think how we listen to things changes over time, and the context of everything we've listened to before necessarily always changes too.

Leave a comment:

• OB1kenOB
    replied
    Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
    It's true, yes I own a physical copy of THE QUEST, have had it for almost 2 months now, but have not listened to a single track yet ! Partly,I have been hoping to finally get a copy of the ever-elusive FROM A PAGE set, without paying over $50 for it, but to no avail (as of tonight, the cheapest copy of FROM A PAGE that is available is $54.61 + $21 shipping).

Part of me thinks that this The END of Yes as we know it.....the longer covid goes on without any touring possible, the more likely that Mr. Howe might be finally ready to throw in the towel, end retire from the whole game FOREVER......in which case, I may as well delay my Gratification a little longer, because The Quest may finally be the end of "the quest" (at least for the current "YES" as we know it).

Thoughts, anyone.....feel free to speak your mind on this (possibly) depressing topic !
    I haven't heard The Quest in it's entirety yet. I purchased it on 7/27/21 using a link to Century Media from Yesworld (to be received on 10/01/21). Still waiting.

Leave a comment:

• carlmarx38
    replied
    Originally posted by luna65 View Post
    I tend to think that's how some albums work, but even those of us who grew up in the era of letting an album grow on you don't always have the patience now.

I have the patience......but I find it takes me a lot longer than it used to for that "grow on you" thing to happen. It's amazing how many YES-related albums have begun to grown on me, sometimes 20 years after the fact. For instance the 2nd CONSPIRACY album (released in 2005) I have suddenly gained a new appreciation of (partly in response to the recent Billy thread on here, which inspired me to go back to some of those albums !)

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    I tend to think that's how some albums work, but even those of us who grew up in the era of letting an album grow on you don't always have the patience now.

Leave a comment:

• Susanne
    replied
    The Quest grew on me, too. At first I had only heard The Ice Bridge and Dare to Know, one of which I liked a lot, and one of which I didn't. Initially I made myself listen to the album frequently, in the background, until I got used to it. I had expected that I would perhaps download just a few tracks, as I generally prefer a bit more power in music, but in the end I got the whole album. It somehow burrowed itself deep into my head, and sat there, refusing to leave. (A bit like the way that Roundabout's mountains stand there, only a little more relaxed.) I'm glad I persevered - if I hadn't, I might never have discovered the intrigue of this more laid-back, but nevertheless still somehow peripherally energetic version of Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X