X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    They could rerelease them as a box set - 'YES: The Post-Anderson Years 2008-2022', and slap some bonus track on it.

Yeah, you're right, the no-Jon Anderson albums have become an era in its own right, deserving of more credibility as an era of active contribution rather than an era of replacement singers from tribute bands. Maybe some could like the post-Anderson material better if taken as a whole.

it's friday and I dont feel like working so Her is how i envision the box set (this is assuming i was some how flushed with enough money to make sure the songs that were previously tied in litigation could be released)

Disc 1 Fly From Here
    1. Fly From Here - Overture
    2. Fly From Here PT I - We Can Fly
    3. Fly From Here PT II - Sad Night At The Airfield
    4. Fly From Here PT III - Madman At The Screens
    5. Fly From Here PT IV - Bumpy Ride
    6. Fly From Here PT V - Reprise
    7. The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be
    8. Life On A Film Set
    9. Hour of Need
    10. Solitaire
    11. Into the Storm

Disc 2 Heaven & Earth
    1. Believe Again
    2. The Game
    3. Step Beyond
    4. To Ascend
    5. In A World Of Our Own
    6. Light Of The Ages
    7. It Was All We Knew
    8. Subway Walls

So far so normal right

Disc 3 Alive in Heaven (lost songs from heaven & Earth Plus covers and a few live songs)
    tracks
    1. Breaking Down on Easy Street
    2. Midnight among the sand
    3. Second intiial
    4. Imagine live
    5. Heat of the moment live
    6. Believe Again live
    7. Fly From Here suite live
    8. Into the Storm Live

Disc 4 Return Trip (this is a departure from the 2018 album we got)
    1. Fly From here suite
    2. Telephone Secrets
    3. Crossfire (new lyrics from Horn and keys from Downes)
    4. Satellite (new lyrics from Horn and keys from Downes)
    5. Vermillion Sands
    6. Go through This

Disc 5 From A page expanded
    1. To the Moment
    2. Credit Carnival
    3. Words on a Page
    4. Aliens
    5. From the Turn of a Card
    6. Don't Take no for an answer
    7. Sea of Smiles
    8. The Gift of Love

The Quest
    1. The Ice Bridge
    2. Dare to Know
    3. Minus the Man
    4. Leave Well Alone
    5. The Western Edge
    6. Future Memories
    7. Music to My Ears
    8. A Living Island
    9. Sister Sleeping Soul
    10. Mystery Tour
    11. Damaged World

I would buy it for 100 bucks

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    They could rerelease them as a box set - 'YES: The Post-Anderson Years 2008-2022', and slap some bonus track on it.

Yeah, you're right, the no-Jon Anderson albums have become an era in its own right, deserving of more credibility as an era of active contribution rather than an era of replacement singers from tribute bands. Maybe some could like the post-Anderson material better if taken as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• Dantalion Rides Again
    replied
    One cool thing to notice, is that there are now four separate studio releases since Magnification, making the post-Anderson era more fully realized as its own era.

While each release has a different lineup, they all share that challenge of the alternate vocalist/lyricist/songwriter.

I'm glad these albums have one another to compare, if that makes sense.

You can sort of set them apart as a group; a flock of nerds, if you will.

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    I haven't listened to Heaven and Earth or From a Page but I bought the Quest when it was first released.

Leave a comment:

• ragtime
    replied
    I listened to The Quest several times after its initial release and while I enjoyed some aspects of it, it had not impressed itself on my memory or imagination in any significant way. It wasn't calling me to listen again, but while infected with the Sars-Cov2 virus this week (not great, but I've had worse) I gave it another spin on good headphones. The experience was much the same. It's well put together, and beautifully recorded, with some nice ideas, especially on track openings, but I found my attention wandering too many times and often had to resist an impulse to skip to the next track half way through a song. It's pleasant enough and very carefully constructed, but isn't immersive or powerful enough (especially the vocals and drums) to call me back again any time soon.
    Last edited by ragtime; 04-07-2022, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
    I am going to listen to both albums today My extended version of From a page (with Aliens, Sea of Smiles, Don't Take no for an answer, and Credit Carnival added in making it 48 minutes long and a decent yes album ) and the quest
    I did the same with From A Page, making it a lost 2010 album that may have come out then had Oliver Stayed and using only tracks where Oliver appeared:
    I called the alternate version of FAP/FFH 'In The Present'.

side one:
    To The Moment
    Words On A Page
    Don't Take No For An Answer
    Gift Of Love

side two:
    We Can Fly (song, not suite)
    Solitaire
    Hour Of Need (original long version)
    Into The Storm

From A Turn Of A Card didn't feature because it was a solo Oliver track featuring Benoit David for his Ravens & Lullabys album with Gordon Giltrap.

This works as an alternate universe Yes album, and for those who don't like Drama-lineup related stuff, though not sure why you wouldn't...

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

I know I am going to order both now.

Btw, Telephone Lies ( which I don't think is the actual title( poped up on my phone about three weeks ago. First time I had heard any if it before. I liked Chris' contributions, but didn't listen to it in it's entirety. Just something about Trevor's involvement can't make me do it. Sorry, just being honest, Danny, and everyone else.

its Jimmy page on guitar for that one and that is fine

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
    I am going to listen to both albums today My extended version of From a page (with Aliens, Sea of Smiles, Don't Take no for an answer, and Credit Carnival added in making it 48 minutes long and a decent yes album ) and the quest
    I know I am going to order both now.

Btw, Telephone Lies ( which I don't think is the actual title( poped up on my phone about three weeks ago. First time I had heard any if it before. I liked Chris' contributions, but didn't listen to it in it's entirety. Just something about Trevor's involvement can't make me do it. Sorry, just being honest, Danny, and everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Now I'm feeling like taking another drive and listening to The Quest again, thanks to this thread. I'll have to wait for a warmer, cozier evening with orangey skies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1508325732378-00eafff6c504.jpeg.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	12022

Enjoy the ride, SWS 😎

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    The Quest is actually a very well done album. It's got everything I need in a 2021-22 in the now, YES.

Why I don't to really like to listen to to stuff on YouTube when it comes to new YES. Always better for me to absorb everything, the music, artwork, and photos slowly, and on my terms.

I loved the camraderie "the boys" had, the smiles, laughing, the spontaneous interactions of long time bandmates, and on again, off again friends and completeing each other's sentenced when I told them, before Heaven and Earth was released, that I enjoyed the two new songs they had performed from that album. It was great, refreshing and they certainly loosened up, telling me I was the only one who hadn't listened to it. Good to see. Would not have happened with the way things were, back in the past.

The more I listen to this album, the better it gets, all around. Actually wonderful, because it makes me feel good/great. Chris would really be proud of Billy on this one! Geoff is the unsung hero on this one, doing the filling, most people miss. Steve has done a stellar job producing, writing, playing, and yes, even singing on this one. I love YES/these guy's, and the fact they are still doing it, is something really special.
    That's great that you're enjoying The Quest. Feeling good/great is what music is all about, not about how many notes or how it stacks up against past adventures. Not placing expectations on an album and letting the music find you rather than the other way around is often the best way to go.

Now I'm feeling like taking another drive and listening to The Quest again, thanks to this thread. I'll have to wait for a warmer, cozier evening with orangey skies.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Well said Rob. The boys seem to really get along. Harmony. Is vital for collaboration long term. A happy ship. Long may it sail the Topographic Oceans.

TQ is my go to music for a road trip. Something about TIB and that surging fanfare that pumps me up to tackle the long and windin' highway. By the time we're driving thru the Southern Highlands and ALI comes on, we are flyin'!!!
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-06-2022, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    The Quest is actually a very well done album. It's got everything I need in a 2021-22 in the now, YES.

Why I don't to really like to listen to to stuff on YouTube when it comes to new YES. Always better for me to absorb everything, the music, artwork, and photos slowly, and on my terms.

I loved the camraderie "the boys" had, the smiles, laughing, the spontaneous interactions of long time bandmates, and on again, off again friends and completeing each other's sentenced when I told them, before Heaven and Earth was released, that I enjoyed the two new songs they had performed from that album. It was great, refreshing and they certainly loosened up, telling me I was the only one who hadn't listened to it. Good to see. Would not have happened with the way things were, back in the past.

The more I listen to this album, the better it gets, all around. Actually wonderful, because it makes me feel good/great. Chris would really be proud of Billy on this one! Geoff is the unsung hero on this one, doing the filling, most people miss. Steve has done a stellar job producing, writing, playing, and yes, even singing on this one. I love YES/these guy's, and the fact they are still doing it, is something really special.

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    The last physical album I bought was FFH, and, on my car CD stereo, I could detect a slight difference between the CD and the mp3 album. Couldn't really put my finger on what was different, maybe slightly more bass? At any rate, it wasn't enough for me to switch to downloads for good in 2014. Even as an mp3, The Quest sonically sounds very, very good, particularly on tracks like Minus the Man and Leave Well Alone.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Breaking news! A friend/customer gave me her The Quest c.d. to listen to, last night
    I think I'm on track four. Kind of pleasant, kind of poppy, so far. Big difference listening to this album with the bass cranked up, the way I like it . Billy, doing a great job as usual in the bottom end, sounding much like, well a YES album.Jon and Steve actually sound pretty good together. The old man, and the not so old man. Good combination. Steve really sounding good. Missing the counter Chris singing and harmonies. Alan has to go. Too simple beats. Is it track 2 or 3, where possibly Jay adds some more excitement on the skins, or were two drum parts mixed in on a few sections? I heard some like tape hiss, or some equipment noise at the end of track 3. When you listen to this on YouTube, even with studio phones, Job's voice sounded/ sound really, really thin. Not so with the physical copy.

I don't know if I should break out the studio headphones, it go for a drive tomorrow, and listen to more.

Some excitement going on at times, but no where near my new Saxon and K.K.'s Priest albums, but that is what I like about YES. Looking forward to hearing more, which I didn't really think I would. YES has always been about changes in recordings. Not as extreme as Billy Joel though. ;-)
    I often break in a new album by taking it on a drive, preferably back roads alone without actually having to be anywhere or going anywhere in particular. That's how I did The Quest, physical copy, just me 'n the music. Any flaws are absorbed into the pleasant drive and I end up liking an album better when connected to a laid back listening vibe.

Just got the new Marillion but haven't got around to listening to it yet, though haven't decided on taking a drive or taking a walk with the headphones/mp3. That one might be a drive, don't want to fall asleep halfway down the trail if I do the walk. It's new Marillion after all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X