YES: 'A Visual Biography II: 1982 – 2022' Due In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES: 'A Visual Biography II: 1982 – 2022' Due In May

Following on from "Yes - A Visual Biography I", Wymer Publishing will release a follow-up book, "Yes - A Visual Biography II: 1982 – 2022", on May 6.

"Yes - A Visual Biography II: 1982 – 2022" documents the progressive rock pioneers' career from the Eighties to the present day. Author Martin Popoff takes you on a journey built around his interviews with Anderson, Bruford, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, Downes, White and many others, the tale unfolds via an exhaustive chronology designed to satisfy the most knowledgeable of YES fans. Not content with charting the band's history, Popoff covers the major projects outside of the YES umbrella, such as ASIA, GTR and Rick Wakeman's extravaganzas, to paint the whole picture.

If you've been moved by albums such as "Fly From Here" and "Heaven And Earth", you'll love this book, which perfectly captures the spirit of progressive rock's first and biggest and best act of crack musicians bent on bending your perceptions of what rock can be.

Throughout the book, Popoff draws on his own interviews conducted with various band members throughout the last two decades, leaving much of the story to be told in their own words, along with a smattering of album reviews by the author and others.

This large-format coffee-table book is fully illustrated throughout, documenting the story visually from 1982. As well as an abundance of concert images, the stunning photographic content is topped off with many offstage shots.

"Yes - A Visual Biography II: 1982 – 2022" will augment any YES fan’s collection.

Pre-order nowand get your name in the book on a dedicated fan page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YesVisualBioVol2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	4905

In all honesty: I wasn't aware there was a part I. And "if you have been moved by the album Fly From Here and Heaven & Earth" I'm afraid might not be the best possible promotional angle....

Comment

I seen enough photos of them over the years, and read several biographies, so my interest is close to nil in this publication.
      On the other hand Martin Halliwell & Paul Hegarty's Beyond and Before: Progressive Rock Across Time & Genre is being republished in an updated edition. Martin is a former colleague of mine. Much more my kind of thing than a fanbook.
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

The author Martin Popoff apparantly wrote the biography "Time and a Word: The Yes Story". One of the reviews of the first "Yes: a visual biography" complained that the text/interviews were a litural copy of that biography, with loads of added photo's. So that's probably the case for part 2 as well.

Comment

See, I figured I'd have a reason to be suspicious! I wasn't particularly fond of his Yes bio at all.
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Wonder if it will feature the famous picture of the 2 Jons at the RRHOF ceremony?

Comment

No Trevor Rabin in any of the cover photos seems an odd choice given the years the visual biography covers.
              "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
                No Trevor Rabin in any of the cover photos seems an odd choice given the years the visual biography covers.
                + where is your boy?

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
                  Right?! Incredibly suss.
                  Rabin-esque
                  rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Small mercies.....
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                      See, I figured I'd have a reason to be suspicious! I wasn't particularly fond of his Yes bio at all.
                      I haven't read it myself. So what makes you not being particularly fond of that biography?

Comment

It's primarily secondary sources, although he uses interviews of his own from the past, but there's a lot of errors in it. It just seems like an assembly-line kind of job, and it seems like now that's his main thing. And I get it, it's tough for rock journos these days, but I don't like that kind of junk writing.
                        Rabin-esque
                        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

I know it depends on what pictures you can dig up and have the rights to, but if you take four quadrants with two people each representing Yes from 1982-2022, I think my top left would be Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin, top right would be Chris Squire and Alan White, bottom left would be Benoit David and Geoff Downes, and bottom right would be Jon Davison and Steve Howe.

That leaves out plenty of great musicians, including some of my personal favorites like Billy Sherwood, but I think those hypothetical choices represent the time period well within the constraints of the format. The pairings aren't entirely coincidental either, obviously- Anderson and Rabin are the historic face of Yes returning after not having been on an album alongside the new creative force behind the hit albums of the 80s, and then Chris Squire and Alan White are the rhythm section and part of the genesis of that version of the band, but also bridge all the way through in all versions of the band until 2015, making them sort of the chosen time period's quintessential rhythm section and a bridge between photo 1 and photo 3. Then photo 3 is the first lead singer of the current era (David) and the returning Geoff Downes- the two weren't actually in the band together for all that long, but I think both faces need to be on the cover and they kind of fit as a duo- I remember Geoff's epic defenses of David online, Fly From Here as an album meshed the two's musical talents to great effect, and David was first person in decades to sing Downes' Drama era songs for Yes and was perhaps the Yes singer who sounds most like Horn and who most fits into Downes' rock and roll image.

Then while it seems a bit odd to take until photo four to get to Steve Howe, photos are not a "Rank the band" thing, it's an artistic thing and arguably possibly a representation thing. I feel like Jon Davison and Steve Howe are in some ways the face of the current band- think of all the "solos" they do that are actually duets, the writing credits with Yes and outside of Yes, the way the vocals and lead guitar are emphasized in the mix on the most recent live albums, etc..

It's tough not to have a Sherwood and Tony Kaye square- maybe on the back cover.

While Rick Wakeman would probably be a controversial hypothetical exclusion, I would suggest that the time period of 1982-2022 really doesn't include a whole lot of him in the official band. He first appears on Union (Almost a decade after the era the book covers begins), but by his own admission, isn't really on the album much, does the tour as one of two keyboardists, then is out of the band, misses Talk and it's tour, comes back for Keys to Ascension but misses the touring and then misses Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, and Magnification and those tours, is back on tour for a few years to 2004ish, and is never part of the official band again to date (2022), missing three more albums and a whole bunch of tours. So, while Rick definitely had a huge impact on Yes and they play a lot of what he wrote, the time period covered and an informal limit of 8 people in four photos where they each pair with someone else, to me make him one of the odd people out. His biggest influence by far was in the 70s, and definitely goes on my hypothetical cover for that time period. He'd definitely be inside the modern book, of course, as would his son, Oliver, and everyone else who's excluded from the hypothetical version of the cover.
                          Last edited by downbyariver; 01-14-2022, 03:36 PM.
                          "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Working...
                          X