Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Strange Peculiar Breed (Big Generator Bootlegs Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Strange Peculiar Breed (Big Generator Bootlegs Discussion)

There was never a full concert audio format official release from the Big Generator tour, so a lot of fans seek out bootlegs.

Two of the higher rated bootlegs are different mixes of a bootleg called A Strange Peculiar Breed, recorded from a show in Austin, Texas on February 22, 1988. On Yessongs.nl (Now hosted on Forgotten Yesterdays as Yessongs.nl has voluntarily shut down. Yesfans.nl was actually once linked to by Yes' official social media, which a lot of us found a little surprising given that it was all bootlegs and bands sometimes don't like bootlegs.), the first recording was labeled "Mastered by M.P." and the second "Modified by Hilde". I'm guessing that the modified version is the better of the two, though the cover art of the earlier version looks cooler to me (Fortunately, with files, you can pick one set of recordings and assign it the other set's cover art).

For those who have heard them, what do you think of the show as recorded? Any songs that are particular good, particularly bad, or that have an interesting deviation from the studio version?

How do you rate the show relative to the other B.G. tour bootlegs that are out there? Do you have a different favorite bootleg from the tour? If so, what makes it your favorite?

Is there a show that you would rate as sort of peak "YesWest" or "Peak Rabin" where there is a lot of hard rocking and 80isms even relative to the other shows on the same tour?

How do you feel about the way the band plays the songs on the Big Generator tour relative to the 90125 tour? I would imagine that particularly for Trevor Rabin, on the first tour, he was probably playing the older songs from before his tenure the way he could learn quickly, but by the second tour, he might have had them down the way he wanted to play them, whether that was with greater fidelity to the source material, or as more tricked out personal versions that fit in better with the other music the band was doing. Which way do you all feel he went, if either, between tours, on specific songs or in general?

Tony Kaye (and Casey Young) also probably had adjustments to make, as despite being an original member of the band, Kaye was probably playing a lot of the Rick Wakeman era material for the first time on the 90125 tour, just like Rabin was, and, as with Rabin, may have also settled on what he viewed as a better version for the Big Generator tour, given time and experience with the pieces.

Even Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, and Alan White, who all had a ton of prior experience with the 70s stuff, may have had some adjustments to make to it given a different band lineup to play with, larger venues to play in, some new fans to play for, and some new music to intersperse the existing songs with. I wonder if anyone has noticed anything there.

We also of course have the entire 90125 lineup returning, and they might have some different takes on songs from that album, and even adjustments to Big Generator songs to play them live, even though they had just recorded them in the studio.

I'm listening through the modified version of A Strange Peculiar Breed for the first time (I'm sure I've seen/heard some of these on YouTube, but this is my first time listening to it as one pseudo-live album experience), with the caveat that I "down-converted" the Flac files to 320kbps MP3s because my collection is exclusively MP3s and AACs (MP4/M4A), as part of an effort to require as few formats as possible from future hardware and software as the world moves more and more to streaming and I anticipate having fewer options to pick from in terms of actually figuring out to play my entire non-streamed music collection on the same devices and the same software as time goes by.

It's too soon for me to have any deep thoughts (I'm still on my first listen and I have been doing other things as I've listened), but I'm curious as to whether Jon Anderson's spoken introduction to "Big Generator" (the song) helped anyone who wasn't sure about it based on the recorded version or the band's lineup find a way to sort of positively connect with it, even if it's never going to be your favorite song. I'd heard that intro before, but this reminded me of it.

Obviously, I'm particularly interested in luna65's take on the entire subject matter of this post, because it's highly likely she's listened to all these bootlegs and studied them, but I'm sure there are other folks who've heard one or more of the bootlegs, or even who were there at one of the tour stops in person back in the day who have cool stuff to add.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 01-09-2022, 09:25 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Were there any FM broadcasts of shows on this tour?
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Does anyone know what's up with "Love Will Find a Way"? The version on the bootleg differs dramatically from the studio version, and not in a good way. I love the studio version, but I can see why it didn't make it to Union's tour if that's the best they could do with it live.

Also, who is that saying "count it off, 1-2-3" on "Roundabout"? Always thought it was Steve on the original version, but obviously it couldn't be on this version. Does anyone think someone was throwing their voice to sound like Steve there, or it may have just sounded that way because the mind sometimes inserts what it's used to hearing when something is sort of familiar but an inexact match?

A ton of static on parts of "And You and I", but otherwise things are pretty clear.

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
      They mentioned A Strange Peculiar Breed as being recorded from the stage, and it is noted as an FM broadcast on the website, but it seems to have gone through a bunch of layers of fan editing after that.
      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

The 02/27/88 Don Pearson recording from Oakland, CA is the one to have. It’s the complete show and, to my ears, sounds good enough to be an official release with minimal work. Some of you cats may know how persnickety I can be regarding the sound of these things so I don’t say that lightly. If you don’t have this one and you like YesWest at all then immediately drop everything and download it ASAP. It is essential.
        “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Thanks for pointing out this Oakland recording, I am listening to it now. I saw quite a few shows on the BG tour - they were all very good. I enjoyed all the Yeswest tours, but they all stuck very close to the big 3 albums from the 70's plus the YesWest material. On each of these tours I remember wishing for a surprise from the other 70's records. But the playing was great, very tight and powerful. Trevor Rabin really gave the band a shot of testosterone on stage, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
            I have one from that tour listed as 2/18/88 The Summit
            FM. Partial Show. This was broadcast on Westwood One as part of their "Superstar Concert" series- Rhythm of Love, Hold On, Heart Of The Sunrise, Big Generator, Changes, Shoot High Aim Low, Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Yours Is No Disgrace

I haven't listened to in ages, gonna have to look for that one and give a listen if I can find it

Comment

I didn't know Yessongs.nl finally shut down. I checked out the layout on Forgotten Yesterdays today, but haven't downloaded anything yet. Looks like you can only do whole shows, the old site let you do a track at a time. That was better for my crappy DSL.
              Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
              My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                The 02/27/88 Don Pearson recording from Oakland, CA is the one to have. It’s the complete show and, to my ears, sounds good enough to be an official release with minimal work. Some of you cats may know how persnickety I can be regarding the sound of these things so I don’t say that lightly. If you don’t have this one and you like YesWest at all then immediately drop everything and download it ASAP. It is essential.
                Great call. Rabin on fire. What I wouldn't give to have been at this show! Or to have it cleaned up a bit more and given an official release. Sadly not going to happen though. Sniff.

Love Steve Howe's input to the band of course, but YesWest were my introduction to the band, with BG being my first album purchase back in 1987. So I will always love Rabin 's contribution to Yes's history and will also always wish it had been even longer than it was. And come on Trev, give us that solo album you claimed to be working on!

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                  Agreed! The Oakland show is great. I burned it on a cd with bonus tracks from audience recordings of I’m Running and a few other songs from a November ‘87 audience recording, and that’s the only one that sits on my shelf right beside Big Generator.

Oakland aside, the Houston show is great. It’s partially released on The Word is Live and Yesyears, but the whole show is widely bootlegged as well. There’s even Westwood One lps out there too. Remy , and now Forgotten Yesterdays probably has a needle drop of one of those. If not, there’s definitely off-air versions there.
                  Last edited by Chrisklenox; 01-09-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

Agreed! The Oakland show is great I burned it on a cd with bonus tracks from audience recordings of I’m Running and a few other songs from a November ‘87 audience recording, and that’s the only one that sits on my shelf right beside Big Generator.

Oakland aside, the Houston show is great. It’s partially released on The Word is Live and Yesyears, but the whole show is widely bootlegged as well. There’s even Westwood One lps out there too. Remy , and now Forgotten Yesterdays probably has a needle drop of one of those. If not, there’s definitely off-air versions there.
                    Hmm - I managed to get a Weswood One LP version of Houston : very lucky ; [ I know you were probably bidding on that one as well - sorry ]; review to follow

Comment

Originally posted by highfell View Post

Hmm - I managed to get a Weswood One LP version of Houston : very lucky ; [ I know you were probably bidding on that one as well - sorry ]; review to follow
                      Haha for once, no! I had grabbed a Westwood One Union show a while before and decided to restrain myself. Looking forward to your thoughts! Generally those Westwood one discs are super nice pressings. Should be a treat!

Comment

I do have some opinions but I'm working on other things right now so I will come back to this topic at some point.
                        Rabin-esque
                        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Wolf View Post
                          I didn't know Yessongs.nl finally shut down. I checked out the layout on Forgotten Yesterdays today, but haven't downloaded anything yet. Looks like you can only do whole shows, the old site let you do a track at a time. That was better for my crappy DSL.
                          Tried to download a whole show today and it unfortunately failed. I liked the old site better, it's a pity it had to shut down. Oh, well.
                          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Working...
                          X