Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some kids on a street corner performing "Roundabout"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Some kids on a street corner performing "Roundabout"


    #2
    Very nice! A pleasure to see youngsters pick this song and giving it their all. While the bass player is more in the background, his playing probably stands out to me the most.

    Comment


      #3
      Kids these days and their crazy music...
      Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
      My hovercraft is full of eels

      Comment


        #4
        Young punks!!!

        A Walgreens in background? Cars drivin' on the right side.
        Midwest USA?

        Comment


          #5
          Jon Anderson has already reached out to them for a 2024 tour.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

            Jon Anderson has already reached out to them for a 2024 tour.
            Bloody hell. That made me spill my cereal. Guffawin'!!!

            πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜„πŸ˜…πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
              Young punks!!!

              A Walgreens in background? Cars drivin' on the right side.
              Midwest USA?
              My guess would be that this was recorded in the state of Massachusetts, which is located in the Northeast United States (In the region known as New England). What I did is look at the license plate of the car parked on the white van parked on the side of the street. Then, I took a screen capture of just the plate and zoomed in.

              Unfortunately, zooming in doesn't actually enhance the photo if the original quality isn't very good, so I wasn't able to read anything, *but* the top of the plate above the numbers appeared to be a long name that possibly begins with an "M". I knew it wasn't a Maryland plate because I'd recognize a Maryland plate.

              This prompted a visit to the state of Massachusetts' Department of Motor Vehicles website, which states "The standard MA license plate is white and has 'Massachusetts' at the top and 'The Spirit of America' at the bottom.". I couldn't see script at the bottom, *but* I think the black license plate holder may have been covering it up.

              Perhaps just as an important a clue is that in Massachusetts, "Most vehicles must display 2 license plates; one the back and another on the front of the vehicle.". This vehicle, had a front plate. That is important because some states require plates in both the front and back of vehicles, and others only require plates on the back of vehicles.

              Michigan's website shows that it's standard plates are blue. It has white specialty plates, but a variety of vehicles drive by the street corner and all seem to have white plates, the confluence of which would be uncommon in a state where the standard plates are blue. So, Michigan seems doubtful.

              Mississippi only requires rear license plates, so we can rule that out. It was improbable anyway given that the people, including random bypassers, in the video all appear to be dressed for at least semi-cold weather and, while I don't really know if it gets cold in Mississippi in the winter if I'm being honest, it is a southern state and probably experiences warm weather most of the time (Maybe not in the winter). Also, their license plates look nothing like the ones in the video.

              I also don't think it's Maine or Montana.

              Of course, with 50 states all having their own plates, to really rule 49 states out might be impossible, and in any event would require more time than I'm willing to put into this. I'm not even sure it's a state that starts with the letter "M"- it just kind of looks like it.

              So, my guess is Massachusetts.

              If anything in this message seems like it might come too close to violating the privacy or anonymity of the young people involved, let me know, and I will delete it. I figure potentially narrowing it down to one state still makes it a wide enough region as to preserve privacy and anonymity, but if my judgement is in error there, I'll pull the post. I'm only putting this out there because it looked like the gentleman I was replying to was having fun guessing where it took place.
              Last edited by downbyariver; 01-01-2023, 01:34 PM.
              "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

              Comment


                #8
                I was. And the homeless man pushin' a trolley with his worldly possessions? Slow news day too, dbar?

                Good detective work. 😁

                Recently Google earth viewed the hotel my sister stayed in Kolkata. Great fun.
                Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 01-01-2023, 01:00 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

                  My guess would be that this was recorded in the state of Massachusetts, which is located in the Northeast United States (In the region known as New England). What I did is look at the license plate of the car parked on the white van parked on the side of the street. Then, I took a screen capture of just the plate and zoomed in.

                  Unfortunately, zooming in doesn't actually enhance the photo if the original quality isn't very good, so I wasn't able to read anything, *but* the top of the plate above the numbers appeared to be a long name that possibly begins with an "M". I knew it wasn't a Maryland plate because I'd recognize a Maryland plate.

                  This prompted a visit to the state of Massachusetts' Department of Motor Vehicles website, which states "The standard MA license plate is white and has 'Massachusetts' at the top and 'The Spirit of America' at the bottom.". I couldn't see script at the bottom, *but* I think the black license plate holder may have been covering it up.

                  Perhaps just as an important a clue is that in Massachusetts, "Most vehicles must display 2 license plates; one the back and another on the front of the vehicle.". This vehicle, had a front plate. That is important because some states require plates in both the front and back of vehicles, and others only require plates on the back of vehicles.

                  Michigan's website shows that it's standard plates are blue. It has white specialty plates, but a variety of vehicles drive by the street corner and all seem to have white plates, the confluence of which would be uncommon in a state where the standard plates are blue. So, Michigan seems doubtful.

                  Mississippi only requires rear license plates, so we can rule that out. It was improbable anyway given that the people, including random bypassers, in the video all appear to be dressed for at least semi-cold weather and, while I don't really know if it gets cold in Mississippi in the winter if I'm being honest, it is a southern state and probably experiences warm weather most of the time (Maybe not in the winter). Also, their license plates look nothing like the ones in the video.

                  I also don't think it's Maine.

                  Of course, with 50 states all having their own plates, to really rule 49 states out might be impossible, and in any event would require more time than I'm willing to put into this. I'm not even sure it's a state that starts with the letter "M"- it just kind of looks like it.

                  So, my guess is Massachusetts.

                  If anything in this message seems like it might come too close to violating the privacy or anonymity of the young people involved, let me know, and I will delete it. I figure potentially narrowing it down to one state still makes it a wide enough region as to preserve privacy and anonymity, but if my judgement is in error there, I'll pull the post. I'm only putting this out there because it looked like the gentleman I was replying to was having fun guessing where it took place.
                  It is the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco. Not an outrageous drive to San Luis Obispo to see Jon.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

                    It is the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco. Not an outrageous drive to San Luis Obispo to see Jon.
                    Evidence? Do you know the area, Walgreens?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

                      Evidence? Do you know the area, Walgreens?
                      Open the video in YouTube and it is visibly geotagged with Bayview. The architecture is not of the US east coast and the color of the characters on the license plate is not of Massachusetts. The guy's other videos are all geotagged with 924 Gilman St where there is a club where the band he videoed performed as well as many other bands.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

                        Open the video in YouTube and it is visibly geotagged with Bayview. The architecture is not of the US east coast and the color of the characters on the license plate is not of Massachusetts. The guy's other videos are all geotagged with 924 Gilman St where there is a club where the band he videoed performed as well as many other bands.
                        Excellent. Well researched. πŸ˜„


                        Just street viewed Walgreens Gilman St. San Fran is interestin' geography. They have petrol stations called CHEVRON. Nail salons and lots of cyclists.

                        So. Speculation. Roger Dean has an exhibition there. The kids grandparents might be old boomer hippies into prog. Seems a pretty psychadelic town. Groovy.

                        Wouldn't get that down here. Sadly. Xmas time brings out a lot of buskers who are kids studyin' music. We have a local school of the Performin' Arts. But they would not play prog.
                        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 01-02-2023, 05:53 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The video brought me joy. Such an ambitious song to attempt.

                          Playing Roundabout is hard, and they are approximating it rather well.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Cool stuff. I would have given them $20 just because.
                            β€œWell ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                              A Walgreens in background? Cars drivin' on the right side.
                              Midwest USA?
                              Could be various regions in the US. Just as a general statement, as I know josuev already identified the location.

                              ETA: oh I love this, it is rather SF in terms of kids having that kind of artsy ambition.
                              Last edited by luna65; 01-04-2023, 02:24 PM.
                              Rabin-esque
                              my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                              rabinesque.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X