X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Lockdown Albums: 24 Records That Wouldn’t Exist Without COVID”

Lockdown Albums: 24 Records That Wouldn’t Exist Without COVID

Interesting to see The Quest on there:

Yes guitarist Steve Howe is more than familiar with recording albums with different people in different places. Not only had he assembled music via file-swapping in the past, but he's also sent physical tapes back and forth among musicians to record their parts. The Quest, Yes' first album since the 2015 death of co-founder Chris Squire, was produced by Howe, who found that working alone could be quite efficient. "I was able to do a lot of development sessions where the guys weren't there but their songs were," he told UCR in 2021. "I could help to bring things to it — the only thing I had to do was knock it out."
    And yet overlook probably the two most famous lockdown albums, Taylor Swift’s Folklore and Evermore, for which I think she reached out to Aaron Dessner for his experience in The National to help figure out how to write and record remotely, and that drastically changed her career arc, and lead to two albums that almost certainly wouldn’t have happened or sounded like they did without the external constraints on them.

You mean if Covid hadn’t happened, The Quest wouldn’t have happened either? Another reason to hate Covid.

Comment

The Prog Collective's Worlds on Hold certainly wouldn't exist with the same title and the same title track (which was about the pandemic) without Covid. It might exist as a different Prog Collective album with a different title and a different title track, though. It's hard to say.
      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
        Interesting to see The Quest on there
        Whether The Quest would have been made and released without the pandemic or not, the pandemic definitely influenced it. "A Living Island" is a pandemic love story, and the album was recorded all over the world. It still might not have been five guys in the studio together (Though they always talk about doing that on a future album), but people wouldn't have specifically been where they were they were when they were without the pandemic. Davison's vocals for at least one song come from when he was stranded on an island at John Lodge's home studio. The band liked what they heard and told him not to rerecord it as he had planned.
        Last edited by downbyariver; 12-22-2022, 02:58 PM.
        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Well, apart from The Quest - which is a prety dismal Yes album – and the Wilson sister's albums, I'd be quite happy if none of these happened.

& Jon wasn't 'stranded on an island', he was shacked up with his girlfriend at her parents' luxury holiday home! [I think he will join the Moody Blues soon ]

Comment

Originally posted by madbear View Post

& Jon wasn't 'stranded on an island', he was shacked up with his girlfriend at her parents' luxury holiday home! [I think he will join the Moody Blues soon ]

he was shacked up in a bungalow for awhile, then a hut but eventually was inside a Lodge 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

he was shacked up in a bungalow for awhile, then a hut but eventually was inside a Lodge 😉
              You scamp!
              Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
              Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
                Lockdown Albums: 24 Records That Wouldn’t Exist Without COVID

Interesting to see The Quest on there:

And yet overlook probably the two most famous lockdown albums, Taylor Swift’s Folklore and Evermore, for which I think she reached out to Aaron Dessner for his experience in The National to help figure out how to write and record remotely, and that drastically changed her career arc, and lead to two albums that almost certainly wouldn’t have happened or sounded like they did without the external constraints on them.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-lockdown-albums/
                Interesting choices in the article. Presumably they ignore Swift's because they're not rock.

The Quest was certainly affected by COVID-19, but I'm not certain it really qualifies as a lockdown album. The album had got going before COVID-19. To quote one interview with Howe: "My contribution to the album was all written before Covid[,] and by the end of 2019 I'd started showing Jon [Davison] those songs. We'd already recorded Damaged World and Future Memories before Covid and then, as the dreaded lurgy came, we thought 'Ok, this is a means to an end.'" I think COVID-19 may have speeded things up, as the band weren't busy touring, and some material was clearly COVID-19-influenced, as with Davison's lyrics to "A Living Island", but I think even without COVID-19, we would have gotten a fairly similar album on a broadly similar timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Interesting choices in the article. Presumably they ignore Swift's because they're not rock.

The Quest was certainly affected by COVID-19, but I'm not certain it really qualifies as a lockdown album. The album had got going before COVID-19. To quote one interview with Howe: "My contribution to the album was all written before Covid[,] and by the end of 2019 I'd started showing Jon [Davison] those songs. We'd already recorded Damaged World and Future Memories before Covid and then, as the dreaded lurgy came, we thought 'Ok, this is a means to an end.'" I think COVID-19 may have speeded things up, as the band weren't busy touring, and some material was clearly COVID-19-influenced, as with Davison's lyrics to "A Living Island", but I think even without COVID-19, we would have gotten a fairly similar album on a broadly similar timeline.
                  A broadly similar timeline? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by yamishogun View Post
                    A broadly similar timeline? Why?
                    I think Howe had made up his mind to do an album; everyone else was already keen. They'd started serious work on it before the pandemic hit. They would've continued serious work on it had the pandemic not happened. Maybe it would have gone a bit slower simply because touring takes up time, but broadly similar...

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

The Quest was certainly affected by COVID-19 but I'm not certain it really qualifies as a lockdown album. The album had got going before COVID-19. To quote one interview with Howe: "My contribution to the album was all written before Covid[,] and by the end of 2019 I'd started showing Jon [Davison] those songs. We'd already recorded Damaged World and Future Memories before Covid and then, as the dreaded lurgy came, we thought 'Ok, this is a means to an end.'" I think COVID-19 may have speeded things up, as the band weren't busy touring, and some material was clearly COVID-19-influenced, as with Davison's lyrics to "A Living Island", but I think even without COVID-19, we would have gotten a fairly similar album on a broadly similar timeline.
                      I think it suffers from long COVID

Comment

There are a few albums on that list that I would say are OK, but there is nothing that I couldn’t live without. So was making “lockdown” albums really such a great idea? I’m not convinced by the evidence presented here. If Marillion’s An Hour Before Its Dark were included then that is one that I couldn’t live without.
                        “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Well I am glad with The quest and I wish yes had even released more during the pandemic

Comment

Working...
                          X