Steven Wilson’s next Yes assignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Wilson’s next Yes assignment?

Not saying this will ever happen, but I’d love to see Wilson (or perhaps someone else) remix (stereo and 5.1) and expand Time and A Word. Drama would be cool too.

What would be your choice, if another remix were to be released?

Heaven & Earth

Comment

Originally posted by patrickq View Post
      Not saying this will ever happen, but I’d love to see Wilson (or perhaps someone else) remix (stereo and 5.1) and expand Time and A Word. Drama would be cool too.

What would be your choice, if another remix were to be released?
      Going for the One, definitely. This LP needs to be remixed, not just remastered, just like Rush did with Vapor Trails.

The mix is terrible: excessive reverb, not enough separation between the various instruments, etc. You could tell they missed Eddie Offord. (Just listen to the end of Parallels, probably the worst mix in the history of Yes.)

Comment

Tormato and Going For The One (although I do like the current mainly unloved version).

And, providing the Midi files still exist for Bill and Rick's parts, ABWH. A version with conventional acoustic drum sounds and tweaked keyboard sounds could be fantastic !

Comment

I think the problem with Going For The One is that they can't find the multitrack tapes! oops, otherwise we'd definitely have seen it by now, alas. - "sans reverb"
          Tormato ... perhaps it isn't as essential, not being a 'main sequence' release, so not a Wilson pick, but you could get someone like Jakko to do it or similar. NB it IS essential to me.

IIRC they is an urban legend that half the tracks have the dolby encoding on them raw (ie ... someone forgot to press the button to dolby 'em on the mix)
          but i dont know how that will solve the arrangement problems between Steve and Rick. If we turn up Chris and Alan so they are rocking, that will forgive a whole bunch of sins, imho

I did also hear once from Steve (not in person, obvs) that he had a problem tracking in that Jon turned up to the sessions playing rhythm guitar on all the songs for the first time, which affected his choice of playing, but the rhythm guitar parts didnt end up in the final mix. But this could be one of those "metal can't be done in dobly" interview tales....

I like the idea of getting bill to rerecord his drums for ABWH acoustically. I think it's funny that when fripp got the roland v-drums and tried to get bill to use them (as they are a leap above the simmons) he'd gone back to acoustic jazz drums... which only a couple of years earlier would have been amazing on ABWH

For Rick's parts call Carl Palmer's guitarist Paul Bielatowicz and he can transcribe 'em on guitar. Guy is an absolute wizard playing keith's parts through the Jamorigin midi guitar 2 app. I was trying it at the weekend and it's a great app, but with someone like Paul playing it's next level. He's also a lovely guy who wouldnt mind the cash. which leads me to ...

where is the money for all this? It strikes me that to hire Jakko to remix Tormato, say, would not be too excessive a budget in the grand scheme of things. It seems to me like it is the ideal thing for a fan-funded kickstarter thing. Those are often abused, but relatively small scale projects like you've talked about on this thread seem like a practical investment, rather than a pipedream. ymmv of course

Comment

Tormato

Comment

I don't know if TH or TR would necessarily allow it, but I think SW would be willing to do a 5.1/Atmos for 90125 and that could be interesting,
              Rabin-esque
              my labor of love (and obsessive research)
              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Odd... so the Tormato multi-track masters were located and digitally transferred. The consensus on the forum seems to be that Yes and management think a remix edition wouldn't sell enough units to be profitable, or Wilson really isn't interested in the album as previously stated

When I look at Yes' overall sales numbers Tormato went platinum. I know those totals usually refer to units shipped by record companies, and for years there were a LOT of those smashed tomatoes peering out of cut out bins. But based on it's platinum status it seems to me there would be more than enough interested buyers to take the plunge and make it available.

I'd like to see the sales numbers on the SW remix sets for reference. Maybe Steve Wilson's fee is too high for a remix at this point. If so, there ARE others who could tackle the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
                  Odd... so the Tormato multi-track masters were located and digitally transferred. The consensus on the forum seems to be that Yes and management think a remix edition wouldn't sell enough units to be profitable, or Wilson really isn't interested in the album as previously stated

. Maybe Steve Wilson's fee is too high for a remix at this point. If so, there ARE others who could tackle the job.
                  Yep, the tracks were transferred to digital, with various takes of OTSWOF. Tormato would be so fun to hear with a proper remix. And a remix of GFTO without all the soupy reverb would be nice too. Drama is probably the best mixed and mastered Yes album in my opinion. Doesn't need to be touched ! I'd be interested to hear another Yesfan besides Wilson remix Tormato... With all the technology today there must be a way to solve the dolby issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
                    Maybe Steve Wilson's fee is too high for a remix at this point.
                    He probably did the first one - whichever it was - on spec. He can do that because it's not his primary form of income. But after that he probably made a tidy sum on the other projects.
                    Rabin-esque
                    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Produce the next yes album

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
                        Produce the next yes album
                        hmmm. An outside producer might exert some much-needed quality control…

Comment

For Wilson to do a job it seems like it either has to be a passion project where he gets to take a deep dive into a favorite record or somebody makes him an offer he can’t refuse. Nobody is going to back up the money truck for him to do more Yes mixes and he has all ready done his favorites that had multitracks available so I’m thinking he is done with Yes.
                          “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by patrickq View Post
                            hmmm. An outside producer might exert some much-needed quality control…
                            It could work

Comment

Originally posted by tumnus View Post
                              I think the problem with Going For The One is that they can't find the multitrack tapes! oops, otherwise we'd definitely have seen it by now, alas. - "sans reverb"
                              Tormato ... perhaps it isn't as essential, not being a 'main sequence' release, so not a Wilson pick, but you could get someone like Jakko to do it or similar. NB it IS essential to me.

where is the money for all this? It strikes me that to hire Jakko to remix Tormato, say, would not be too excessive a budget in the grand scheme of things. It seems to me like it is the ideal thing for a fan-funded kickstarter thing. Those are often abused, but relatively small scale projects like you've talked about on this thread seem like a practical investment, rather than a pipedream. ymmv of course
                              Yes, I remember reading that the masters of GFTO, Tormato and Drama are all missing. Wouldn't surprise me at all, considering how little record labels seem to care about their vaults. The miracle is that some master tapes can be found at all!

Tormato could also use a good remix, because it doesn't sound very good. Again, Offord's touch was sorely missing. Drama is fine, having Horn in the studio certainly helped.

I would be careful about hiring Jakko to remix. I really dislike his remix of Fish out of Water, I always play the CD with the original mix instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X