Farthest and nearest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farthest and nearest

Farthest and nearest from your front door to a Yes show you saw?
    Nearest: 4.5 miles in San Antonio when I saw the Talk tour at Seaworld. Close second is 5 miles when I saw the Royal Affair here in Arkansas where I live now.
    Farthest: It's a tie, 1600 miles. Seattle at the EMP and in Jamaican waters on the inaugural Cruise to the Edge.

My nearest was also five miles or so. Tough to say my farthest, because I’ve moved around. But to be honest, I never took a plane ride just to go see Yes, because I’ve been lucky to live near places they play.

Comment

nearest 12 miles in Leicester DeMontfort

furthest Birmingham symphony hall approx 35 miles

(no need to travel too far)
      The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
      -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
      -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Nearest: De Montfort Hall, Leicester, about a mile now, but when I first saw Yes there I lived about 12 miles away.

Furthest: London, Wembley Arena multiple times from 1977 to 1991. About 90 miles by train.

Also Sheffield, 60 miles, Birmingham/NEC, 40 miles, Nottingham 30 miles, Derby 40 miles, Stoke-on-Trent 50 miles, Reading 80 miles.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

closest for me about 10 miles when I saw them in DC for the Masterworks tour

furthest about 450 miles when I travelled from Geneva to London for a couple of shows, most recent being this May.

For what it's worth, I saw the Psychedelic Furs in NYC in June this year. That is a distance of 3,800 miles from Geneva. But in fairness I was also visiting my family.

Actually, at the London show this May there was a young couple who had travelled all the way from Australia. Now that's dedication!

Comment

Closest - 2 minute walk
            Furthest: 40 miles

Comment

This exercise would've been a chore in the days before Google Maps....

Farthest: 190 miles for when I saw the Masterworks tour at the summer shed originally known as Riverport Amphitheater in St. Louis, Missouri.
              Closest: 3 miles when I saw the Union tour at the venue formerly known as the University of Illinois Assembly Hall in Champaign, Illinois.

Bonus fact: A few years prior to seeing the Union tour at the Assembly Hall, I saw R.E.M's Document tour there in 1987. I didn't have a car in those days and the buses didn't run late enough for me to catch a bus home, so I rode my bike to the venue. After the show was over, as I was navigating the heavy car traffic on my bike and going through a narrow underpass, one of my shoelaces somehow got caught in the bike's chain. I had to keep peddling until the chain chewed through the shoelace; there was nothing else I could do. But it was a freaky moment!

Comment

Closest for me is 6 miles to Roanoke, VA Civic Center in 1974 and 1976
                Farthest is 360 miles to Cincinnati, OH at the Taft Theater last month

Numerous trips throughout Maryland, northern and eastern Virginia, and North and South Carolina over the past 48 years of Yes Concerts.

Comment

I used to live about 5 miles from the old Universal Amphitheater where I saw 5 shows, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2004.
                  Furthest would be Albuquerque in 1988, about 800 miles.

Comment

Nearest when I was a kid they played at the Charles Ives center in Danbury on the magnification tour

farthest I think Bethlehem PA wins out.. me and Amanda haven’t flown for any yes shows yet

though I did see live streams of yes shows on the west coast so unsure if they count as farthest or nearest

Comment

Working...
                    X