“The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History”

Well, I’m sure you can all guess our favourite group of pasty capewearers shows up on https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...80-1234629541/, but where and what for?

Without lookin', I would guess not keepin' Eddie Jobson on keys and electric violin. # 32.

Now to look...

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
      Well, I’m sure you can all guess our favourite group of pasty capewearers shows up on https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...80-1234629541/, but where and what for?
      I have to disagree with their pick, if only because of the great album their decision resulted in. One of my favorite albums.

I'm not normally a fan of Rick Wakeman's comedy, but I have to admit the Wakeman quote they put in there made me chuckle.
      Last edited by downbyariver; 11-29-2022, 12:26 AM.
      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

OK. The Buggleisation. But we got Drama and FFH and Geoffrey writin' great songs on The Quest. So on balance.
        In the fullness of time. Horn produces 90125. No mistake. Inspired decision. Injection of true talent. Musicians.

Gotta say. Most on the list I don't give 2 f*cks about. Shit happens. Egos explode. Managers steal. It's the
        GREAT ROCK'N'ROLL SWINDLE.

Comment

Consider the source. Drama is one of the best records in their catalogue.

The worst decision Yes made was to try to be a hit making pop/kinda prog band. The 90125 disease handcuffed them musically and watered down their creativity in a way that they’ve never recovered from.

Comment

Hiring The Buggles was one of the best things Yes has ever done. Sleek, modern, futurist. But with enough of the old Yes magic to merge with it. Look no further than Drama! Let the purring of a million panthers echo throughout the cosmos forever.

Comment

I'm for Drama, too. Without The Buggles, I can't imagine anything better would have happened at that point. And I'm not only in favour of Drama to fill a gap - I love the album as much as many of the Yes albums, and more than some of them.

Comment

I was traumatised when I heard about the The Buggles thing. A friend told me in the street one Saturday afternoon in 1980. My worst fears were realised. I'm ok with some of the music on it, but the shows on the UK tour were horrible. The Buggles were a novelty act as far as I'm concerned, but lacking the musical cred of The Wombles or Black Lace. So, for me that was an awful decision, artistically and every other which way. And what followed in 1983 was the nadir, and it stayed like that till 1989.

Scooter Braun pissing off Taylor Swift was a biggy too.
                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

What a crock. Drama stands as one of the best albums Yes ever made even if it is stylistically almost completely removed from everything that had come before.

The biggest mistake Yes ever made in my opinion was letting go of Moraz and getting Wakeman back in.

Comment

Originally posted by kilianltia View Post
                    What a crock. Drama stands as one of the best albums Yes ever made even if it is stylistically almost completely removed from everything that had come before.

The biggest mistake Yes ever made in my opinion was letting go of Moraz and getting Wakeman back in.
                    This is true, but if Wakeman didn't come back he couldn't leave again in 1979 and then you might have never had Drama or 90125. The law of unintended consequences.

Comment

Consider the source. Rolling Stone hasn't been relevant for over 35 years. Garbage publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                        I was traumatised when I heard about the The Buggles thing.
                        🤣🤣🤣

The Buggles were a novelty act...
                        A novelty act with a single that shifted five million units and set Trevor Horn on a somewhat enviable production career arc. Not bad really...

Comment

I note that they mean commercial rather than artistic decisions... hence putting 'head' on the list by the monkees.

it's a lazy thing putting the 'Yessles' in there (as i heard a friend call them) - regardless of the music, they started a relationship with perhaps the greatest producer of the next decade, and the keyboard player is now their longest continual keyboard member, so I'm sure they are all still crying about it... not

If Trevor and Geoff hadnt joined Yes at that point and produced no more music, you would still have Rolling Stone today trashing Yes and revering The Buggles.

I did have a mate who was at the london show on that tour however, Geoff did a keyboard solo, and in the middle of it someone shouted "bring back Rick Wakeman!" and Geoff proceeded with the solo on one hand, the other flipping the bird at the heckler. A great move if you can pull it off

Comment

... and it pains me to say his name on a site that enjoys the titanic playing of Bill Bruford and Alan White, but Lars Ulrich was pretty spot on about napster and standing up for musicians that werent stadium megastars (ie most of them). now we have the death of the album, 0.0001cents a stream and Ed Sheeran having all ten singles in the top ten chart. I'm sure there is a Nostradamus passage specifically about that last one, or it is in the Book Of Revelation

Comment

Originally posted by tumnus View Post
                              ... and it pains me to say his name on a site that enjoys the titanic playing of Bill Bruford and Alan White, but Lars Ulrich was pretty spot on about napster and standing up for musicians that werent stadium megastars (ie most of them). now we have the death of the album, 0.0001cents a stream and Ed Sheeran having all ten singles in the top ten chart. I'm sure there is a Nostradamus passage specifically about that last one, or it is in the Book Of Revelation
                              I don't believe Sheeran has had all ten singles in the Top Ten, but Taylor Swift has.

Comment

Working...
                              X