Trevor Horn interview on the Guardian website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor Horn interview on the Guardian website

I believe it was posted online Monday. Many mentions of Yes, from singing on Drama to producing 90125. Horn is publishing his memoir soon, I believe. This should be interesting for us, Yesfans.

I posted this article link a few days ago in the 'Previous Members' thread.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post
      Horn is publishing his memoir soon, I believe.
      It's already out in the UK. It doesn't appear international distribution has been secured yet.
      Rabin-esque
      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
        I posted this article link a few days ago in the 'Previous Members' thread.
        I should have looked, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post

It's already out in the UK. It doesn't appear international distribution has been secured yet.
          Darn! Another one I'll have to special order from the UK, along with the new Jonathan Coe novel.

Comment

Its out in the UK and I read it this week.

I'll give you a quick preview from the recording of 90125, Gary Langan the engineer talking to Jon Anderson on the talkback mic:

"Go on then Jon" - takes finger off the talkback mic button - "YOU TWAT!"

It's interesting looking back on that time before it became a hit and everyone was either really nervous or trying to act like a big time rockstar (through nerves)

Comment

Yeah, the production team really wasn't having it with Jon, something which has been obliquely referenced in the past but never fully addressed. Although the decision to put a gunshot sample in "Owner" speaks volumes.
              Rabin-esque
              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                Yeah, the production team really wasn't having it with Jon, something which has been obliquely referenced in the past but never fully addressed. Although the decision to put a gunshot sample in "Owner" speaks volumes.
                When you refer to the gunshot sample, I immediately know which sound your are talking about...however, I never had any idea that was a gunshot sound - I had just assumed it was a loud percussion sample with a lot of reverb on it. But now I will always think of it as a gunshot sound!

Comment

That's because it is! 🤣
                  Rabin-esque
                  rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

There we go:
                    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...droidApp_Other

Determined to get them a hit, he alighted on a song called Owner of a Lonely Heart. The band refused to cooperate, deeming it “too poppy”, forcing Horn to take desperate measures. “I literally got down on my knees and started pulling at [bassist] Chris Squire’s trousers, pleading with them.”

Thats quite funny as I seem to remember CS saying in the early 00s he was much more in touch with what was hip and happening charts wise than the likes of JA and SH.​
                    Last edited by TommyTopographic; 10-30-2022, 05:40 AM.
                    CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Vl3kHvkM19m2PdFRFRsr1 🙂

Comment

And Chris carried on with that narrative throughout the YesWest years.
                      Rabin-esque
                      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

What I love about "The Guardian" interview is that it makes clear to readers that Horn, the most famous living pop producer in Britain by miles, is actually also a Yes fan.

Comment

Working...
                        X