Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 90125 and Big Generator have sounded 'better' with Trevor Horn singing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would 90125 and Big Generator have sounded 'better' with Trevor Horn singing?

Inspired by Rabin105's thread about Anderson singing on Heaven & Earth, Drama etc. - how about:

Would 90125 and Big Generator have sounded better if Trevor Horn was still the vocalist and sang on them? I could imagine them sounding even more futuristic and left field. They probably would have discarded the idea of sounding 'Yes-enough' to the older die hard fans and had a field day doing whatever they felt like. It possibly wouldn't even sound like Yes of old, except in the harmonies. But it would have the spirit of Yes (being adventurous) rather than the sound of Yes. Closer to Ultravox than Floyd/Genesis/Camel etc. I would however imagine the two Trevors having disagreements and at each other over direction. And would Downes also be involved? That would inch everybody closer to the Drama lineup. So lets just say Kaye, Rabin & Horn handled all the keyboards. Kaye relegated to hammond moments, Horn operating a Fairlight, Rabin filling in with whatever needed.

Imagine the cool neon 80's looking graph-type computer cover with band photos - Horn with the big glasses and a gold suit like that cat from ABC next to Rabin looking like Eddie Van Halen, Squire dressed like whatever freakish costume he had on during the 9012Live video. Maybe after Big Generator, since there'd be no Jon Anderson there to leave to form ABWH, Yes with Horn would forge ahead with a new Yes album for 1989.

With Horn, the production is already a given. It would sound great. But his songwriting merged with an 80's Yes may have given them a different focus. I know it would have sounded electric and neon. Future times for the future now. Does this scenario sound cool to anyone? Or does just the thought of the silly idea of it induce strong abdominal pains, muscular cramps and/or and dry heaves? I think it would have sounded brill.

I love Horn but yes needed Anderson on those albums

But I do love Horn

Comment

No and No

Comment

Absolutely not.
        Rabin-esque
        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

This is some sort of joke, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam I Am View Post
            This is some sort of joke, right?
            If it ain't, it'll do till the joke gets here...
            Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 08-28-2022, 04:11 AM.
            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Good grief no. And this is just getting silly now!

Comment

The original post appears to be a desperate attempt at trolling.

It's too ridiculous to be silly or even a joke.

Nurse!

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                  Inspired by Rabin105's thread about Anderson singing on Heaven & Earth, Drama etc. - how about:

Would 90125 and Big Generator have sounded better if Trevor Horn was still the vocalist and sang on them? I could imagine them sounding even more futuristic and left field. They probably would have discarded the idea of sounding 'Yes-enough' to the older die hard fans and had a field day doing whatever they felt like. It possibly wouldn't even sound like Yes of old, except in the harmonies. But it would have the spirit of Yes (being adventurous) rather than the sound of Yes. Closer to Ultravox than Floyd/Genesis/Camel etc. I would however imagine the two Trevors having disagreements and at each other over direction. And would Downes also be involved? That would inch everybody closer to the Drama lineup. So lets just say Kaye, Rabin & Horn handled all the keyboards. Kaye relegated to hammond moments, Horn operating a Fairlight, Rabin filling in with whatever needed.

Imagine the cool neon 80's looking graph-type computer cover with band photos - Horn with the big glasses and a gold suit like that cat from ABC next to Rabin looking like Eddie Van Halen, Squire dressed like whatever freakish costume he had on during the 9012Live video. Maybe after Big Generator, since there'd be no Jon Anderson there to leave to form ABWH, Yes with Horn would forge ahead with a new Yes album for 1989.

With Horn, the production is already a given. It would sound great. But his songwriting merged with an 80's Yes may have given them a different focus. I know it would have sounded electric and neon. Future times for the future now. Does this scenario sound cool to anyone? Or does just the thought of the silly idea of it induce strong abdominal pains, muscular cramps and/or and dry heaves? I think it would have sounded brill.
                  It's a very, very original question. I agree that if the line-up had been Horn, Squire, Rabin, White and Kaye it might well have led to more of an art-pop, futuristic, possibly evening dancy, sound.

Nevertheless, I feel this line-up just would not have worked: Horn needed to concentrate on production almsot fully, which he would not hqve been able to do if also worrying about lead vocals and probably writing more music and lyrics than was the case.

He also did not like Tony Kaye, and even locked horns (pun intended) with Rabin a lot without even being in the group.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnpauls View Post

It's a very, very original question. I agree that if the line-up had been Horn, Squire, Rabin, White and Kaye it might well have led to more of an art-pop, futuristic, possibly evening dancy, sound.

Nevertheless, I feel this line-up just would not have worked: Horn needed to concentrate on production almsot fully, which he would not hqve been able to do if also worrying about lead vocals and probably writing more music and lyrics than was the case.

He also did not like Tony Kaye, and even locked horns (pun intended) with Rabin a lot without even being in the group.
                    A Yes of Horn, Squire, Rabin, White and Kaye indeed may have produced a more art-pop and rhythmic sound, maybe something akin to the like of Art Of Noise with guitars, if that could be imagined, or the Owner 'Red & Blue Mix' /Hello Goodbye mix. Would I personally have liked such a direction? Sure, maybe for one album, why not, but ultimately it would have strayed too far from the Yes sound for even me. It would be Horn-dominated I suppose. I love Trevor Horn, but perhaps the production would overshadow the other players in the band. So now that I think about it, maybe it wouldn't work for longer term than an album.

Not sure what the issues with Kaye and Horn were, maybe over the choice of keyboards. I never knew what that was about.

Incidentally, I'm sorry this thread got such a negative response. I assure you, this was not a joke, nor am I trolling in any way. I don't get the 'trolling' thing. That's so not what I'm about on this Yes site. It's all about discussing the work of one of my favorite artists, and maybe look at it at unusual angles sometimes. The thread was suggested by another poster based on that question and I went with it. It was a real question - what if Horn remained in Yes for the rest of the 80's. What kind of album would have resulted in this configuration. Honest question. Nothing to do with 'trolling' or being silly or whatever. It's not like I had posted 'What if Boy George joined Yes' or something dumb like that. Anyway, nothing more to see here, moving on...🙄

Comment

I don't think Horn would have fit with the rest of Cinema. Horn was more of a "new wave" and synthesisers guy (Art of Noise, Buggles), whereas Cinema was more AOR (Asia, Journey, etc.) Listen to the Cinema demos on the 90125 remaster... Where does Horn fit as a performer/songwriter? He was the perfect producer, however, because he was able to add his "new wave" touch to the songs, making them a bit more "cutting edge" than the demos. That was the big loss when Horn quit during BG. The music didn't sound as good. 90125 still sounds amazing 39 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                        Not sure what the issues with Kaye and Horn were, maybe over the choice of keyboards. I never knew what that was about.
                        Kaye wasn't Downes. Oliver Wakeman had the same problem.

It seems that Horn would have dumped any keyboardist in the band to get his old mate back in.

The band has suffered from Horn's interventions. From A Page is far better than H&E and The Quest.

Oliver is also far better at playing the 70s stuff because he is technically superior to Geoff, as was Igor.

Geoff's playing and writing are better suited to New Wave and AOR than Prog.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

Kaye wasn't Downes. Oliver Wakeman had the same problem.

It seems that Horn would have dumped any keyboardist in the band to get his old mate back in.

The band has suffered from Horn's interventions. From A Page is far better than H&E and The Quest.

Oliver is also far better at playing the 70s stuff because he is technically superior to Geoff, as was Igor.

Geoff's playing and writing are better suited to New Wave and AOR than Prog.
                          Succinct, and I concur with the sentiments.
                          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Would Teakbois have sounded better with Bruford on vocals and Anderson on drums?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                              No and No
                              And no again...

Comment

Working...
                              X