Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Drama, fly from here, heaven & earth etc been better with Jon Anderson singing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

    yeah Lane being the manager he was saw the writing on the wall. when Buggles asked him to be their manager he thought (to quote Chris from yesyears) “yes was in the process of losing a keyboardist and a lead singer and here was a keyboardist and lead singer who had a number one song in every country of the world asking him (Brian lane) will you please manage us.”
    You left out the best part of Squire's story: "Lane said: Sure, I'll take 15% if you want!" 🤣🤣🤣

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
      Before Geoff and I joined the band, they had already booked forty-four shows. I was okay at the beginning but towards the end of the tour I was totally exhausted.
      That was the main reason why they wanted the Buggles to join. The shows were booked, tickets were sold, advances were received from promoters (and some of the money already spent.) Cancelling the tour would have meant giving back the advance money...

      Comment


        #33
        The whole scenario was so left field. Wonder if Jill Sinclair and Lane got together. Business wise.???
        Perhaps we'll gain some insight when Horn's memoir is released in October.

        My hunch is they all knew what was goin' on. YES had not used outside writers before. Sharin' management helped.
        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 08-28-2022, 09:51 PM.

        Comment


          #34
          Simple answer: No.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by michelforest View Post

            You left out the best part of Squire's story: "Lane said: Sure, I'll take 15% if you want!" 🤣🤣🤣
            Very true love yesyears

            Comment


              #36
              No, on Yesyears Squire said he (Squire) would be happy for a 20% cut. C'mon, you guys!

              Comment


                #37
                Simple answer, yes no and maybe!!!!! I am assuming we are talking about JA agreeing to singing the lyrics as is and having no say in music or arrangements. So I do I think FFH would have sounded more authentically Yes- Tracks like Hour of Need would have sounded very much in line with All Good People and Nine Voices- and similarly Into the Storm, in fact all tracks- except The Man You Always Wanted me to be, would have been just that more Yesish. I do think FFH is a very good Yes album without JA, but would have been better with him. However I don't think he could help H&E- or the QUEST. IMHO the former just lacked any decent songs, perhaps Subways Walls might have been better, but its an uninspired album from start to finish. TQ had better production and playing but on second and third listens I found little that I wanted to re-listen. JA singing on these would have made it sound more Yes-like but in itself wouldnt have improved either of the past two albums.

                Comment


                  #38
                  To me, Jon Anderson IS the voice of Yes. And he is the lyricist of Yes. So Yes, ALL Yes albums should have Jon singing them.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    No. He would have messed up Drama and FFH, definitely.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Heaven & Earth, absolutely. I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan of Juano's singing at all. He has his moments, but overall, the songs would be way better if J.A. were singing them.

                      But with Drama and FFH... Well, that's a bit more of a toughie. I'd say that while I love Jon's singing, a large part of the charm of those albums are that they take Yes in a different direction. Heaven And Earth doesn't really do that, since Juano is basically Jon but worse at singing - but Drama moreso has themes of technology and newer synths mixed in with the iconic Yes rock style - in fact, Drama is probably darker and more rock-y than it could have been if Jon were at the lead. Even with Fly From Here I feel similarly - it feels like a younger and fresh take on the Yes formula. So no, I don't think those albums would be better if Jon sang them. They're perfect the way they are.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Skankindead View Post
                        Heaven & Earth, absolutely. I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan of Juano's singing at all. He has his moments, but overall, the songs would be way better if J.A. were singing them.

                        But with Drama and FFH... Well, that's a bit more of a toughie. I'd say that while I love Jon's singing, a large part of the charm of those albums are that they take Yes in a different direction. Heaven And Earth doesn't really do that, since Juano is basically Jon but worse at singing - but Drama moreso has themes of technology and newer synths mixed in with the iconic Yes rock style - in fact, Drama is probably darker and more rock-y than it could have been if Jon were at the lead. Even with Fly From Here I feel similarly - it feels like a younger and fresh take on the Yes formula. So no, I don't think those albums would be better if Jon sang them. They're perfect the way they are.
                        And the quest?

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                          The whole scenario was so left field. Wonder if Jill Sinclair and Lane got together. Business wise.???
                          Perhaps we'll gain some insight when Horn's memoir is released in October.

                          My hunch is they all knew what was goin' on. YES had not used outside writers before. Sharin' management helped.
                          there's a Horn memoir coming out in october? see, this why I hang around this site, usually the first info I get is from here. thanks!

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Spiritual Architect View Post
                            To me, Jon Anderson IS the voice of Yes. And he is the lyricist of Yes. So Yes, ALL Yes albums should have Jon singing them.
                            I don't want to argue, as people who feel this have been so touched and moved by Jon's voice... and hey, I'm one of them. And it is really how people feel, so other people's take on the music does not invalidate their feelings or opinions one bit.

                            However, for me Chris Squire's Rickenbacker IS the voice of Yes!

                            but that's my personal preference... amazing how you can get such a signature sound out of a plank of wood. Could he be the only person in music history to get a writing credit for a single bass slide run up the fretboard? The breakdown in Owner... when i first heard i thought "ah, there you go!"

                            I'm not offering a serious discussion about whether Jon's voice or Chris' bass is the real voice of Yes btw. This sort of talk merely itches me to get my records out.

                            As a postscript to the above, I've been playing Talk in the car all week, which has by far the least distinctive Squire bass in the whole canon (reasons would be on a whole other thread), but it still sounds like Yes in it's purple patches (Jon's voice, Tony's Hammond snippets, Trevor's clean and clear guitar parts) ... so go figure

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I think Drama could have sounded as good. Of course along with JA voice comes the interpretation, phrasing, etc., which potentially could have made it better. with a more epic feel on the longer songs. The quality of music on Drama stands on its own. The other albums are weak musically, imo, Without serious rework, JA would only make those songs good JA solo songs, at best. Hard to say.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
                                With now 6 soon to be 7 albums without Jon Anderson I have to ask

                                would any of those albums be better if Jon Anderson sang them?

                                As a side note I think if Downes had ever worked with Anderson he would of been seen as a better keynoardist then he currently is as in my opinion he is as good as Kaye Moraz and Wakeman … different yea of course but Kaye Wakeman and Moraz are vastly different from each other but no one would say any of those three are bad keyboardists…


                                but yeah the question remains Would the non Anderson albums be better with Jon?
                                Not sure about the Downes as good as comment but some like oysters and some do not

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X