Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Drama, fly from here, heaven & earth etc been better with Jon Anderson singing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

😂

That will be news to Horn and Downes.

"This song was released on the 2010 re-release of the 1981 Buggles Album Adventures In Modern Recording".

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent...dern_Recording
    You do realize artists rarely if ever have any say in bonus tracks on rerelease of an album

the point still stands Brian Lane said write a song for yes and they wrote fly from here

do you have a counter argument for that or?

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Wanna hear something really scary? Imagine Steve Howe redoing all the vocals himself on all the Yes albums he was involved in and calling it The Yes Catalogue: Return Trip.
      I think this guy should redo all the vocals:

https://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q

Comment

😂

That will be news to Horn and Downes.

"This song was released on the 2010 re-release of the 1981 Buggles Album Adventures In Modern Recording".

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent...dern_Recording
        Life On A Film Set was also a bonus track on the reissued Adventures In Modern Recording, though titled 'Riding A Tide'. With We Can Fly From Here part 1, Sad Night At The Airfield (We Can Fly part 2), Go Through This and Riding A Tide, and maybe more, it looks like the Drama Yes already had half an album's worth for a followup in 1981. I dare say...we need a third album from the Drama lineup. Panther Power 4eva!

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Life On A Film Set was also a bonus track on the reissued Adventures In Modern Recording, though titled 'Riding A Tide'. With We Can Fly From Here part 1, Sad Night At The Airfield (We Can Fly part 2), Go Through This and Riding A Tide, and maybe more, it looks like the Drama Yes already had half an album's worth for a followup in 1981. I dare say...we need a third album from the Drama lineup. Panther Power 4eva!
          More then half

go through this
          satellite
          telephone secrets and crossfire

Comment

Drama is fine as it is. In fact, it's in my top 5 Yes albums of all time.

That said, with Anderson, we all know that the music would have been very different on every one of these albums.

As for the vocals, obviously Anderson is a much, much better singer than Horn, David and Davison. So if he was a "guest" vocalist, these records would be better. In the case of H&E and TQ, that doesn't mean they would be good, just slightly "less bad".

Comment

Did the Buggles really wrtie FFH specifically for Yes at the request of Brian Lane? I never knew that.
              I do remember a radio interview Chris Squire did at the time (possibly with Jim Ladd) wherein Squire said that he had met and made a connection with Trevor Horn, who had already demoed the song and he said he thought it would be a potential song for Yes to consider recording themselves. So that was the first thing they worked on with the Buggles and that quickly shifted into the scheme to draft the Buggles.

Comment

Easy answer for me:

No
                No
                Yes

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
                  Did the Buggles really wrtie FFH specifically for Yes at the request of Brian Lane? I never knew that.
                  I do remember a radio interview Chris Squire did at the time (possibly with Jim Ladd) wherein Squire said that he had met and made a connection with Trevor Horn, who had already demoed the song and he said he thought it would be a potential song for Yes to consider recording themselves. So that was the first thing they worked on with the Buggles and that quickly shifted into the scheme to draft the Buggles.
                  yeah Lane being the manager he was saw the writing on the wall. when Buggles asked him to be their manager he thought (to quote Chris from yesyears) “yes was in the process of losing a keyboardist and a lead singer and here was a keyboardist and lead singer who had a number one song in every country of the world asking him (Brian lane) will you please manage us.”

Lane saw that Anderson and Wakeman were going to leave and told the Buggles as soon as he was their manager “ hey why don’t you write a song for yes as they are your hero’s “ Horn and Downes flattered said sure wrote fly from here Lane brought it to Chris who liked it and the five of them started working together with the knowledge that “Jon and Rick would be back in the studio next week”

after about a month Horn and Downes realized Jon and Rick were never coming to the studio and that was when they were asked to join the band they did and we got drama
                  Last edited by rabin105; 08-27-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                    Easy answer for me:

No
                    No
                    Yes
                    Are you combining albums by singer as there are 6 albums and only 3 answers

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

Are you combining albums by singer as there are 6 albums and only 3 answers
                      Drama, fly from here, heaven & earth

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post

Drama, fly from here, heaven & earth
                        And what about From A Page , Return trip and The quest?

Comment

yeah Lane being the manager he was saw the writing on the wall. when Buggles asked him to be their manager he thought (to quote Chris from yesyears) “yes was in the process of losing a keyboardist and a lead singer and here was a keyboardist and lead singer who had a number one song in every country of the world asking him (Brian lane) will you please manage us.”

Lane saw that Anderson and Wakeman were going to leave and told the Buggles as soon as he was their manager “ hey why don’t you write a song for yes as they are your hero’s “ Horn and Downes flattered said sure wrote fly from here Lane brought it to Chris who liked it and the five of them started working together with the knowledge that “Jon and Rick would be back in the studio next week”

after about a month Horn and Downes realized Jon and Rick were never coming to the studio and that was when they were asked to join the band they did and we got drama

Can you provide any concrete evidence to back up your claim that Lane asked the Buggles to write FFH specifically for Yes? If so, why was the song excluded from Drama?

The Buggles' weak "I Am a Camera" became "Into The Lens" on Drama. It therefore seems strange that FFH was excluded.
                          Last edited by Kenny; 08-28-2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Can you provide any concrete evidence to back up your claim that Lane asked the Buggles to write FFH specifically for Yes? If so, why was the song excluded from Drama?

The Buggles' weak "I Am a Camera" became "Into The Lens" on Drama. It therefore seems strange that FFH was excluded.
                            there are other details I can get more evidence for but from Horn’s own words below

fly from here which I had written and thought it might work for yes

https://www.ukmusicreviews.co.uk/int...w-trevor-horn/

You mention joining the band back in 1980, just how did it feel to be asked to step in and fill Jon Anderson’s shoes?

(Laughter) well firstly there was no call, I just happened to spend an evening with Chris Squire which really was a landmark for me because I had been such a huge fan of his and the band for many years. I had just had a hit record with The Buggles which as you will be aware was Video Killed The Radio Star and after you have had a hit record then everyone suddenly wants to know you. Anyway Geoff and I went down to Virginia Water to spend some time with Chris and I always remember his kids were outside waiting for us to arrive so that they could ask us for our autographs. Whilst we were there I sang Chris Fly From Here which I had written and thought that it might work for Yes.

Chris then said “why don’t you come down to rehearsals and run through it with us” and I immediately asked him if Jon was going to be there and would he be happy to learn the song. At that point Chris became very vague about Jon and what he failed to tell me at the time was that Jon and Rick had left the band after there had been a huge bust-up. Anyway, Geoff and I went down to the rehearsals where we were duped into performing Fly From Here (laughter). I have to be honest and say that the whole thing felt so surreal but I loved the way that the band played. Being close-up to them, it all felt so amazing (laughter).

Hearing the song in the rehearsal room felt amazing and during the course of the day we learnt that both Jon and Rick had left and then Chris asked Geoff and I if we would join the band. I just thought ‘Jesus I don’t know about that’ simply because I never really saw myself as a singer (laughter). Anyway, as you know I did join the band and it really was an amazing experience. I had a year of it, we made an album, we toured but I was at that point thirty years old and I had never been the lead vocalist in a band. So in all honesty it was a bit of a trip for me. Before Geoff and I joined the band, they had already booked forty-four shows. I was okay at the beginning but towards the end of the tour I was totally exhausted.

I suddenly realised that this was not necessarily the way that I was going to spend the rest of my career. But having said that, the experience of playing three nights at Madison Square Garden in New York plus having the opportunity to work with Chris, Steve and Alan really did give me the chance to learn quite a bit about harmonies. Chris was really great when it came to harmonies. Being with Yes for that period of time I think made me fearless. Once you have played three nights at Madison Square Garden then you really are not going to be that frightened about anything.

if you want twenty more articles for the rest of the details I shall Grab them I thought this was a friendly chat not debate of epic proportions

so yeah I will make sure it’s all peer reviewed next time

Comment

there are other details I can get more evidence for but from Horn’s own words below

fly from here which I had written and thought it might work for yes

https://www.ukmusicreviews.co.uk/int...w-trevor-horn/

You mention joining the band back in 1980, just how did it feel to be asked to step in and fill Jon Anderson’s shoes?

(Laughter) well firstly there was no call, I just happened to spend an evening with Chris Squire which really was a landmark for me because I had been such a huge fan of his and the band for many years. I had just had a hit record with The Buggles which as you will be aware was Video Killed The Radio Star and after you have had a hit record then everyone suddenly wants to know you. Anyway Geoff and I went down to Virginia Water to spend some time with Chris and I always remember his kids were outside waiting for us to arrive so that they could ask us for our autographs. Whilst we were there I sang Chris Fly From Here which I had written and thought that it might work for Yes.

Chris then said “why don’t you come down to rehearsals and run through it with us” and I immediately asked him if Jon was going to be there and would he be happy to learn the song. At that point Chris became very vague about Jon and what he failed to tell me at the time was that Jon and Rick had left the band after there had been a huge bust-up. Anyway, Geoff and I went down to the rehearsals where we were duped into performing Fly From Here (laughter). I have to be honest and say that the whole thing felt so surreal but I loved the way that the band played. Being close-up to them, it all felt so amazing (laughter).

Hearing the song in the rehearsal room felt amazing and during the course of the day we learnt that both Jon and Rick had left and then Chris asked Geoff and I if we would join the band. I just thought ‘Jesus I don’t know about that’ simply because I never really saw myself as a singer (laughter). Anyway, as you know I did join the band and it really was an amazing experience. I had a year of it, we made an album, we toured but I was at that point thirty years old and I had never been the lead vocalist in a band. So in all honesty it was a bit of a trip for me. Before Geoff and I joined the band, they had already booked forty-four shows. I was okay at the beginning but towards the end of the tour I was totally exhausted.

I suddenly realised that this was not necessarily the way that I was going to spend the rest of my career. But having said that, the experience of playing three nights at Madison Square Garden in New York plus having the opportunity to work with Chris, Steve and Alan really did give me the chance to learn quite a bit about harmonies. Chris was really great when it came to harmonies. Being with Yes for that period of time I think made me fearless. Once you have played three nights at Madison Square Garden then you really are not going to be that frightened about anything.

if you want twenty more articles for the rest of the details I shall Grab them I thought this was a friendly chat not debate of epic proportions

so yeah I will make sure it’s all peer reviewed next time
                              There is nothing in that piece supports your claim that Brian Lane specifically asked Horn and Downes to write FFH for Yes.

You also said that "there is no artist [other than Yes] who who could put out out that song". That was clearly nonsense as I proved earlier.

Keep digging. Your hole is getting bigger all the time.

Comment

There is nothing in that piece supports your claim that Brian Lane specifically asked Horn and Downes to write FFH for Yes.

You also said that "there is no artist [other than Yes] who who could put out out that song". That was clearly nonsense as I proved earlier.

Keep digging. Your hole is getting bigger all the time.
                                Fine

https://www.rhino.com/article/5-thin...out-yess-drama

2. Downes and Horn were originally only invited to contribute a song.

At that time, The Buggles were blowing up with “Video Killed the Radio Star,” and it was the fact that they shared a manager – Brian Lane – with Yes that brought them into the band’s circle. Lane asked the twosome if they’d write something for Howe, Squire, and White – the remaining trio of Yes members – and they were invited to Squire’s mansion, where Horn played the song they’d come up with: “We Can Fly from Here.” As history reveals, of course, the performance went down well enough for Downes and Horn to be invited to the band’s recording sessions.

please READ this from rhino and then join in my the hole I am supposedly digging

Cant wait for you to give some garbage reason this is wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X