A better way to listen to Relayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better way to listen to Relayer?

When Relayer was released, there was only one way to fit the music on a vinyl Long Playing record. Gates Of Delirium had to be on one side, and Soundchaser and To Be Over had to be on the other. Side one was assigned to Gates, and so the sequence of play was established. When the Compact Disc came out, it was possible to put 70 minutes of music on one disc. I have always felt that Soundchaser should be the first song played when listening to Relayer, partially as a result of that being the opening song on the Relayer tour. But To Be Over should be the last song, of course. To hear Soon which ends so gracefully, and then Soundchaser has always seemed jarring. Now, it is possible to listen to the songs in any order you wish. Try it sometime, program your player to start with Soundchaser, then Gates Of Delirium, then To Be Over. I am interested in what people think.
    When Yes is the answer, anything is possible.

Interesting idea, I will give it a try. I always thought it made sense that both sides of the album started with a crazier, high energy part before a calmer, more soothing part. But you make a good case.

Comment

Originally posted by scootwhoman View Post
      When Relayer was released, there was only one way to fit the music on a vinyl Long Playing record. Gates Of Delirium had to be on one side, and Soundchaser and To Be Over had to be on the other. Side one was assigned to Gates, and so the sequence of play was established. When the Compact Disc came out, it was possible to put 70 minutes of music on one disc. I have always felt that Soundchaser should be the first song played when listening to Relayer, partially as a result of that being the opening song on the Relayer tour. But To Be Over should be the last song, of course. To hear Soon which ends so gracefully, and then Soundchaser has always seemed jarring. Now, it is possible to listen to the songs in any order you wish. Try it sometime, program your player to start with Soundchaser, then Gates Of Delirium, then To Be Over. I am interested in what people think.
      It's nice idea, I'll give it a try. However, I am used to having to get up and flip the vinyl LP to side 2 after "Soon". So there's always a slightly longer break for me between Soon and Sound Chaser than on the CD so the transition isn't as jarring as it may be for you.

Comment

I think Relayer is fine as is and really sequenced correctly and the only way it could have been. Close To The Edge on the other hand may have sounded better sequenced in reverse, as opening with Siberian Khatru and ending side one with And You And I, while side two is the rock symphony that is the title track. That sequence kinda makes sense: the rockin' opener, the gentler deeper track and then the main event feature presentation.

Comment

The whole concept I am looking at is dispensing with album sides, which limit the way we appreciate the music. Using Close To The Edge as example, you could start with Siberian Khatru, then have CTTE, then To Be Over. Which would be a new way to burn a CD of that album I had not thought of until now. Thank you!
          When Yes is the answer, anything is possible.

Comment

The whole concept I am looking at is dispensing with album sides, which limit the way we appreciate the music. Using Close To The Edge as example, you could start with Siberian Khatru, then have CTTE, then To Be Over. Which would be a new way to burn a CD of that album I had not thought of until now. Thank you!
            To Be Over is from Relayer.

Did you mean And You And I?

Comment

For me "Soon' is the perfect finale to any song, and even any album. So for me the perfect order is Soundchaser, To Be Over, Gates of Delirium, which for vinyl means just starting with side two.

Comment

Did it occur to you that you could play the tracks out of order on vinyl records? You don't need a programmable CD player, just patience and a steady hand.

Just place the needle at the start of your preferred first track, lift it at the end of the track, flip the record if necessary, place the needle at the start of track etc, etc.

I've done it since I was 12 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

Did it occur to you that you could play the tracks out of order on vinyl records? You don't need a programmable CD player, just patience and a steady hand.

Just place the needle at the start of your preferred first track, lift it at the end of the track, flip the record if necessary, place the needle at the start of track etc, etc.

I've done it since I was 12 years old.
                  And then there are lazy people like me who started making cassettes when they were 10, with the songs exactly in my preffered order. One effort to make the cassette and then no more action required than press play.
                  But Relayer is just fine as it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X