Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you have liked Rabin to stay on after Talk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you have liked Rabin to stay on after Talk?

Personally, I think Rabin still had more to offer to Yes and his songwriting has always been great to offer some variety to the band. I was never that keen on the Keys to Ascension material anyway, however perhaps we needed the classic lineup to reunite then (after all they never made an album together after Keys to Ascension 2).

I do think an Anderson-Squire-Rabin-White-Wakeman album would have been interesting. I'm still gutted ARW didn't work out.
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    40.00%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Nah I think he definitely left at the right time, I quite like Talk but I don't think there was much left creatively for that lineup of the band to pursue.
    Poor album and live ticket sales no doubt played their part.

96-04 was a good time for that band creatively, including Keystudio tracks, The Ladder, Magnification and in terms of what they did touring, including bringing back the epics. An alternative run with Rabin still on board doesn't excite me, especially if it means no return for Howe.

I agree that an Anderson-Squire-Rabin-White-Wakeman album would have been interesting though.
    CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Vl3kHvkM19m2PdFRFRsr1 🙂

Comment

Yes 100 percent. Fantastic musician; would have loved to see him and Wakeman in the same line up go in to the studio and produce an album. A missed opportunity. Sadly there have been many of those over the years…..

Comment

No, and thankfully he didn't.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Talk should have had Wakeman. Had their been musical chemistry between Rabin and Wakeman, that could have led to an interesting period in the band. I guess we’ll never know what could have been since ARW fell apart.

Comment

I'd have preferred him never to have been within a mile of Yes to be honest.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I thought Talk was a terrific album that pointed the way to a bright future for Yes so I was disappointed when they ditched Rabin in favor of reverting back to the 70s band. I was even more disappointed that Rabin abandoned rock music almost entirely for the next decade and a half.
                “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                  I thought Talk was a terrific album that pointed the way to a bright future for Yes so I was disappointed when they ditched Rabin in favor of reverting back to the 70s band. I was even more disappointed that Rabin abandoned rock music almost entirely for the next decade and a half.
                  Absolutely yes. Sure, they did OK without him after that (?), but I find that I enjoy his contributions more than most of Howe's contributions from K2A on.

BTW, I think it was Rabin who ditched the band, not the band ditching him.

I think he was greatly upset that after all the work he did on Talk, that the label folded and the album got zero promotion. That would have been disheartening, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post

Absolutely yes. Sure, they did OK without him after that (?), but I find that I enjoy his contributions more than most of Howe's contributions from K2A on.

BTW, I think it was Rabin who ditched the band, not the band ditching him.

I think he was greatly upset that after all the work he did on Talk, that the label folded and the album got zero promotion. That would have been disheartening, to say the least.
                    Also Rabin had the Gottleib brothers attacking him and lobbying for the return of Howe and Wakeman from the pages of Yes Magazine.
                    “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Yeah but...that's not what snapped the backbone, so to speak.

Anyway, of course I would but I didn't do a lot of handwringing and pearl-clutching over it. It's just sort of ironic to me that they had another attempt at the form, so to speak, after the nostalgia reboot couldn't sustain itself.
                      Rabin-esque
                      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

I voted yes only because I would have loved to hear Rick and Trevor playing some stuff off Talk along with real new music, and that was more likely then than with ARW.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
                          Talk should have had Wakeman. Had their been musical chemistry between Rabin and Wakeman, that could have led to an interesting period in the band. I guess we’ll never know what could have been since ARW fell apart.
                          Or perhaps that tells us all we have to know.

Comment

I find this a difficult question. On the one hand Talk is one of my favourite Yes albums and I would have loved for them to continue and to develop from that direction onwards. On the other hand, I think so much happened in the interpersonal relationships while making the album and doing the tour, that this particular line up has really run its course. A next album with Rabin would probably have ment the band imploding all together.

Comment

No. I guess IMO there is a parallel between Big Generator-ABWH and Talk-KTA. The reboot wasn’t as successful as I hoped, but still worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X