• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES - Boston Garden 1974

Full show from Relayer Tour-

Classic Yes live broadcast from the Relayer tour
    Release Date: 09/09/2022

The band’s show at the Boston Garden venue in Massachusetts, on 11th December 1974, remains a favorite performance among fans from this spectacular jaunt, and was recorded for live FM broadcast at the time, and transmitted across the state on local radio. Never previously released however, this new 2CD set features this remarkable show in its entirety for the first time.

Interesting where did you find this Old Frothingslosh?

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
      Interesting where did you find this Old Frothingslosh?
      Sorry, forgot to leave link!

https://www.progrock.co.uk/yes-bosto...cd-c2x38270805

Comment

I wonder how much better the sound quality is to some of these full shows from that date. http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/date...4&qdateid=1025

Comment

According to setlist.fm Yes had two shows in Boston Garden in 1974: Tales from Topographic Oceans 26 Feb and Relayer 11 Dec. That's a good year in Yesland...

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=...on+garden+1974

Comment

Bill Bruford was clearly a Boston Bruins hockey fan (or at least of their logo) and the team played in Boston Garden. Ironically, Bruford never played there with Yes but he sported that B spoked logo for years all over the world.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=bill..._AUoAnoECAEQBA

Comment

Originally posted by josuev80 View Post
              Bill Bruford was clearly a Boston Bruins hockey fan (or at least of their logo) and the team played in Boston Garden. Ironically, Bruford never played there with Yes but he sported that B spoked logo for years all over the world.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=bill..._AUoAnoECAEQBA
              Hockey jerseys were also popular with some members of Genesis. I've seen many pics of Banks and Collins wearing the jerseys of the Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota North Stars, Montreal Canadiens, etc. My guess is that they were given to them by local promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                I think this set was taken from a King Biscuit broadcast. This has been widely available as a bootleg. Sound quality is excellent, but this is obviously a "grey market" release.

Comment

You can listen to it here, without paying 10,99:

Comment

It slays me that the band knows the fans want archival live releases and Howe says there’s all sorts of stuff in the vaults, yet things like this come out gray market on a label nobody has ever heard of before. What gives?

Comment

I'll be purchasing that on release. Pre-ordered on Amazon.
                      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
                        It slays me that the band knows the fans want archival live releases and Howe says there’s all sorts of stuff in the vaults, yet things like this come out gray market on a label nobody has ever heard of before. What gives?
                        Simple: copyrights. If the band wants to release anything from their vaults, they need permission from whatever label owns the rights to the Yes catalogue. If we're talking multi-track recordings like Progeny, then the tapes are somewhere in the label's archives, providing they have not been lost, stolen or destroyed (all very likely). Releasing them is a rather costly project. If Howe wants to release anything from his tape collection, he still needs permission from the label and probably has to give the tapes to the label so it can be edited, marketed, etc.

Genesis has a huge stash of tapes that have been digitized over the years, but they are in the same situation: any release has to go through the label.

This is why Fripp has such a huge advantage: because he owns the copyright to every single thing he has recorded with KC and as a solo artist, he can release whatever he wants. And since his DGM label is a small, independant company, the overheads are much smaller. Fripp once said that one of his soundscapes CD on DGM sold 10,000 copies. In order to generate the same profits with a major label, he would have to sell 210,000 copies!

The upcoming CD of the Boston show is a grey market item, meaning they most likely transferred a bootleg recording downloaded off the Internet straight to CD. I doubt they spent money on remastering. The artwork was probably photoshopped from downloaded pictures. Needless to say, none of the musicians will receive a penny. It will probably be written "Made in the EU" somewhere in the booklet. There are countless Miles Davis and John Coltrane recordings available like that, some can even be found on Spotify. Recently, a 1981 recording of the Pat Metheny Group in Houston showed up on Spotify and was removed a few weeks later, probably when his management was asked by fans when it was coming out on CD!
                        Last edited by michelforest; 08-17-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I get all that but it’s just…frustrating.

Comment

I wonder if the band members look back at how keenly they embraced the rock star lifestyle when the money began to pour in in the mid-70s and regret doing so? They should.
                            While, if they were in receipt of financial advice at the time, it was either bad advice or they chose to disregard it, others' experiences before them should have informed them of how quickly good fortune and success can turn bad and and disappear. So, if they are not now in control of their own catalogue and legacy, they are in large part responsible for that themselves, and my sympathy is negligible.
                            Unless and until official archive live releases, Progeny-like, materialise, I'm going to be getting any live releases on CD as they appear, from those eras of their career that I like, without hesitation or hand-wringing.
                            Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                            Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

My concern on the financial end would be not so much that I was depriving Yes of royalties, but rather that some unknown entity who had absolutely nothing to do with creating and preserving this music was going to profit off of it instead. But more than that, my concern would be about the quality of the product I was getting. We’ve heard the YouTube recording of that show, but what will be on the CD? Will it be from King biscuits’ own vaults, or will it be from what some fan recorded off the radio in 1974? There would be a huge gulf in quality between those two potential sources, I would think.

But on the topic of how much loyalty to feel to the band about whether they make any money off over or not, it reminds me of something I read years ago in one of those Yesographies. They quoted Bruford as saying something along the lines of, yes always made the wrong decision at the wrong time for their wrong reasons, and were the authors of their own lamentable condition, or words to that effect. Rather brutal, but I guess he’s not the type to hold back!

Comment

Working...
                              X