Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the first Circa album be rebranded as a yes album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the first Circa album be rebranded as a yes album?

Before people flat out say no let me point out the arguments for considering Abwh and ARW as yes could be used for Circa… so here is my case

1. The album had one original yes member one member who was important in the 70’s and one who while not to everyone’s flavor was important to the band in the 80’s and 90’s … and I am not talking about ARW but it sort of Sounds like I am right?

alan was more crucial in the 70’s then many give him credit for
    Tony was an original member
    billy was crucial to the late 80’s and 90’s saving the band from death similar to Rabin

2. They played yes music live:
    they did a 32 minute medley going from the first album - the ladder they also did the more we live let go off union

3. The album sounds like yes: honestly this feels of the same ilk as Drama or the modern albums if Anderson was singing everyone would consider it yes but because it’s a different singer

4. Tony Kaye famously said “if yes won’t go out and do this we will” at the time yes was in hiatus Jon Anderson couldn’t be bothered to rejoin and Squire and White just didn’t have a direction (Steve perry was briefly considered talk about a lack of direction)

this is my argument

thoughts?

Flat out no.
    It's pants anyway.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

No, definitely not.

Comment

It sounds a bit too much like Billy's solo work for it to be considered a Yes album though I did really enjoy the extended Yes medley which was a lot of fun and did show them all to be great musicians of course.

Comment

I was going to say no, until I realized that in my personal collection I’ve made (selections of) it a Yes album called Circa, mostly in an effort to bridge that gap between Magnification and Fly From Here.
          So, maybe?

Comment

well the lineup is as close to yes as it gets, but i've always seen Circa as a Billy Sherwood led side Yes group. I still find most of Circa's music to be under the level created by Yes in virtually every aspect.
            The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
            -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
            -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
              Before people flat out say no let me point out the arguments for considering Abwh and ARW as yes could be used for Circa… so here is my case

1. The album had one original yes member one member who was important in the 70’s and one who while not to everyone’s flavor was important to the band in the 80’s and 90’s … and I am not talking about ARW but it sort of Sounds like I am right?

alan was more crucial in the 70’s then many give him credit for
              Tony was an original member
              billy was crucial to the late 80’s and 90’s saving the band from death similar to Rabin

2. They played yes music live:
              they did a 32 minute medley going from the first album - the ladder they also did the more we live let go off union

3. The album sounds like yes: honestly this feels of the same ilk as Drama or the modern albums if Anderson was singing everyone would consider it yes but because it’s a different singer

4. Tony Kaye famously said “if yes won’t go out and do this we will” at the time yes was in hiatus Jon Anderson couldn’t be bothered to rejoin and Squire and White just didn’t have a direction (Steve perry was briefly considered talk about a lack of direction)

this is my argument

thoughts?
              Well, I don't think ABWH should be called Yes, neither should an ARW album, had it occurred, been called Yes, so I actually can flat out say "No".😁

Comment

FFS. Every day seems to be a slow news day around here of late. I've just found this "missing" Yes album in my collection...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle_Of_The_Road_-_Chirpy_Chirpy_Cheep_Cheep-front.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	23363

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
                  FFS. Every day seems to be a slow news day around here of late. I've just found this "missing" Yes album in my collection...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Middle_Of_The_Road_-_Chirpy_Chirpy_Cheep_Cheep-front.jpg Views:	136 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	23363
                  I see Chris Squire is wearing those thigh-high Cavalier boots again...
                  Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 08-17-2022, 01:31 PM.
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

No. Excellent album and band, though. I've enjoyed all four or five of the studio albums (One was a compilation of songs that missed the cut on previous albums, hence 4 or 5) they've put out.

Hoping to get an update on the new Circa: album Billy and Tony were reportedly contracted for a couple years ago.
                    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle_Of_The_Road_-_Chirpy_Chirpy_Cheep_Cheep-front.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	23363
                      And I didn't know Trevor Horn was on drums...

Comment

I love the Yes medley they did, but the album is 1. awful and 2. not a Yes album.

Comment

Rebranded as a Yes album? Naw, because Sherwood never wanted to be the lead singer of Yes and turned the gig down on a couple occasions. Actually it would be more closer to being rebranded as a World Trade album, especially the second album. I'm assuming we're talking about Circa: 2007 album with Alan White though.

Circa is a fine Yes-related band I dig a whole lot. Been waiting for a followup to 2016's Valley of the Windmill album. I hope they do continue, but their momentum has been lost a bit. I wanna hear Kaye's snarling hammond up in the mix this time.

Comment

No, but I think Open Your Eyes should maybe be rebranded as a Conspiracy album.

Comment

No it should not

Comment

Working...
                              X