Should ABWH be Rebranded a Yes Album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should ABWH be Rebranded a Yes Album?

Given ABWH doesn't seem to have a separate forum and the album is listed amongst Yes albums on this forum- should it be re-released as a Yes-cannon album? Legal issues not withstanding. I regard it as a Yes album- despite CS absence- so many Yes albums have a mix of members- so is it time to rebrand the album- but what would you call it?

it kinda was, on the official Yes album poster with The Ultimate Yes compilation. Its included,

Comment

Give Bobby Dread a call 🤣

Comment

I guess it could be called a Yes album as much as a number of other albums could be classed as Yes albums. But I would prefer to keep it branded as ABWH. The ABWH name itself connotes a certain period in the history of the band and I'm fine with the way that whole period worked out

Comment

It’s included in the official discography on YesWorld. There are also tracks on the In A Word box.
          “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

"YES, by any other name... is it still 'YES'?"

I say, that by all FOUR of those other names - it's still 'YES'.

"Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe" is 4/5ths of the band that recorded FRAGILE and CLOSE TO THE EDGE. We KNOW who this is.

Roger Dean INFORMED us, before the laser ever hit this CD... there was NEVER a question for fans.

Why rebrand at this point? If anyone missed it the first go round, let them discover it the way YES fans discovered "Brother Of Mine" and that album in 1989. Magic is magic.

Leave "ABWH" as "ABWH".

-Douglas

Comment

It is not a Yes album and should not be re-released as a Yes album IMO.

Obviously a band full of current and former Yes members playing Yes-like music is going to be pretty damn close to a Yes album, and probably pretty good, and this was both, but it's not Yes unless it's put out by Yes, and this was not put out by Yes. I don't think it can or should retroactively be turned into a Yes album through a re-release with a Yes logo either- that type of historical revisionism is cheap and muddies things unnecessarily. This was what it was. It's some good music and an interesting story that is part of Yes history without actually being part of Yes- that's in a way a better story than it just being a Yes album anyhow.

Also, breaking up Chris Squire and Alan White's strings of consecutive Yes albums artificially before they each passed away through retroactively adding this to the catalog is I think not what people would really want to do if they stopped and thought about it that way. If it's just an almost-Yes side project, their streaks of albums remain intact, and that's what it was, so they did. Chris and Alan stayed with Yes from the time they joined the band until they each passed away, Yes' brief hiatus between Drama and 90125 aside.

And, hey, don't just take my word for it, Yes sued ABWH and won. The US court system actually ruled that this band was not Yes.
              Last edited by downbyariver; 07-01-2022, 08:25 PM.
              "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Here's the odd thing; even though the CD is on my shelf between Big Generator and Union, I would not rebrand it as a Yes album. For me that just doesn't feel right somehow given the situation back then. But also because musically it feels more like a Jon Anderson album with special guests Steve Howe, Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post
                  it kinda was, on the official Yes album poster with The Ultimate Yes compilation. Its included,
                  THEY think it's a Yes album. That's enough for me.

Comment

I consider it to be very much an album of Yes music. Looks like it, sounds like it, even smells like it. It's a very important album for me personally.
                    It, and its live counterparts, sit on my shelves chronologically among my 'Yes' albums, as it should.
                    What it's 'official' designation might be is irrelevant.
                    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 07-02-2022, 12:28 AM.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Similar, here. For me, it's definitely Yes. I organise CDs alphabetically, so this causes a bit of a dilemma, but most often (I think), I put it with Yes. I don't really mind what the band's name is. I wouldn't argue for changing it, but I wouldn't argue against it, either.

Comment

It's not an album I own any more, and it's not a Yes album

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
                          It is not a Yes album and should not be re-released as a Yes album IMO.

Obviously a band full of current and former Yes members playing Yes-like music is going to be pretty damn close to a Yes album, and probably pretty good, and this was both, but it's not Yes unless it's put out by Yes, and this was not put out by Yes. I don't think it can or should retroactively be turned into a Yes album through a re-release with a Yes logo either- that type of historical revisionism is cheap and muddies things unnecessarily. This was what it was. It's some good music and an interesting story that is part of Yes history without actually being part of Yes- that's in a way a better story than it just being a Yes album anyhow.

Also, breaking up Chris Squire and Alan White's strings of consecutive Yes albums artificially before they each passed away through retroactively adding this to the catalog is I think not what people would really want to do if they stopped and thought about it that way. If it's just an almost-Yes side project, their streaks of albums remain intact, and that's what it was, so they did. Chris and Alan stayed with Yes from the time they joined the band until they each passed away, Yes' brief hiatus between Drama and 90125 aside.

And, hey, don't just take my word for it, Yes sued ABWH and won. The US court system actually ruled that this band was not Yes.
                          From what I have read the court ruled in ABWH’s favor and allowed them to call their tour “An Evening of Yes Music Plus”.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                            I consider it to be very much an album of Yes music. Looks like it, sounds like it, even smells like it. It's a very important album for me personally.
                            It, and its live counterparts, sit on my shelves chronologically among my 'Yes' albums, as it should.
                            What it's 'official' designation might be is irrelevant.
                            Between Big Generator and Union is where it lives in my physical collection. In my digital library I tag it as “Artist: Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe” and “Album Artist: Yes”.

Also, this song must be posted in all threads on this topic or the thread is not official:

Comment

4/5 of CTTE lineup, and they went on to tour with the moniker of yes music plus, yeah its Yes
                              The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                              -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                              -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Working...
                              X