YES tracks that could bridge two albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES tracks that could bridge two albums

What YES songs could serve as a link (or have a hint of transition) to another album? A song could be a link to the next album, be traced back to the previous album or it could link non-consecutive albums.

Lyrically, The Remembering name drops the next album’s title a couple of times
    “__________ all the dying cry before you”
    and in hindsight, hints at the subject matter
    “Sail the futile wars they suffer”

Comment

Lots of that in the Yes catalogue - a few that come to mind: A Venture being a throwback to the original Yes of the previous two albums while Perpetual Change looks ahead to not Fragile but Close To The Edge. Heart Of The Sunrise hints at all the bits and sections to come in CTTE, Soon kinda looks ahead at the serene bits of Going For The One. And I'll be an orangutan's third uncle if Run Through The Light doesn't hint at the first Asia album while simultaneously having its roots in the previous Paris album era. I'm sure there are other examples.

Comment

The "Rhythm of Love" harmonies at the start of the song go back to some of "Leave It". The first few seconds of "Big Generator" also sound like they could be from 90125.

Comment

In Ritual Steve quotes the theme from Close to the Edge, just before the Nous Sommes du Solely bit, and Relayer takes its title from The Remembering.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

All Fighters Past from Fragile sessions.

Comment

First Album: The grandness of Survival previews the symphonic sounds of Time and a Word.

TAAW: The bombast of No Opportunity previews some of The Yes album (Like Yours is No Disgrace) and the opening to Astral Traveler foreshadows the opening to Machine Messiah.

Comment

No one has mentioned the obvious, so can I?

Comment

Had "Go Through This" been the opener on Drama and "Release Release" been the closing song on Tormato, you would have had a true connection between those albums.

Comment

I agree how Heart of the Sunrise hints at Close to the Edge.

Siberian Khatru sounds like it could have been on Fragile to the point where there would be redundancy if it was on the same album as Roundabout.

Comment

The Remembering:
                      "School gates remind us of our class"

Can You Imagine:
                      "The class of your school"
                      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Time Again on the first Asia album feels very much to be a continuation of Machine Messiah.

Comment

Quartet could work with many tracks from many albums
                          The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                          -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                          -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Fly from here feels like a continuation of Drama
                            so does Mind Drive from Keys 2

Comment

End of OTSWOF into Machine Messiah - End of Tempus Fugit into OOALH. Pointing to the future of each next album.

Comment

Working...
                              X