Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTWSOF 2022 - What happened?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by mikemiller48 View Post
    I feel this is becoming a hate site, not a fan site. Howe could have a (possibly equally or more lucrative) career playing genuinely dumbed-down Yes music on the Night of the Proms/pops circuit. He must have an almost religious fanaticism about playing Yes music as straight up as possible/feasible, then listening to a bunch of sh*theads in the live audience and forums (which he hopefully doesn't read).

    Also contemplate Yes having taken the Styx approach and having played the same show (with minor tweaks) for fifteen or twenty years.

    No cheers this time,
    Mike
    Because if everyone here is not heaping praise on the band's performances, then that translates as 'hate'?
    Asking questions is how we mover forward; disagreeing with this or that point of view is the norm. No need to start throwing stones at fans here you don't agree with. Take issue with their views and opinions and conclusions, sure, but not with the people posting those views.
    And please stop using the term 'hate'.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

      A question can be legitimate. I just feel that some people immediately jump to negative speculation (They can't play it) because that fits their overall feelings about the current line up.

      I mean, has anyone speculated that the reason they cut off the bass/drums intro might be, because it's the opening song and it would look rather silly if they all come on stage under applause during Firebird Suite and then when the first song starts, three of the five people on stage would be twiddling their thumbs for the first three minutes or so??

      And when it's brought up that Howe has said in interviews before that he feels that a lot of the Tormato album doesn't/didn't translate well to the stage, and that might be why they've cut some sections, then some suggest Howe is just "spinning things" (because apparently Howe secretly told them the real reason🙄) to cover up how lousy they're playing is these days.

      I'm all for questions and discussions, but do feel it's tiresome how some try to put a negative spin on on almost everything.
      Maybe they should haven’t opened with this song if three people were going to be “twiddling their thumbs” for three minutes if played in full, but there is definitely some guitar and keyboards intermixed with the drums and bass. The next three songs have been used as openers so there was definitely room to alter the order of the first 4 songs and play them all in full.

      As for this particular Tormato song not possibly translating well on stage, people should listen to some 1978-1979 live versions.

      Comment


        #33
        Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, or a Yes fan disappointed.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by roundabout View Post
          Just got through listening to the keyboard solo on Close to the edge and I couldn't believe my ears....Not even close to what it should sound like...Unrecognizable to my ears...What happened to the song we once knew so well?
          Well, it's being played by this incarnation of Yes and like it or not this version has limitations. I personally think this is why the Relayer tour got canceled. Can't blame this completely on Geoff either. The whole band just doesn't sound right in parts.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post

            Well, it's being played by this incarnation of Yes and like it or not this version has limitations. I personally think this is why the Relayer tour got canceled. Can't blame this completely on Geoff either. The whole band just doesn't sound right in parts.
            It wasn’t cancelled… They postponed it until next year.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

              Maybe they should haven’t opened with this song if three people were going to be “twiddling their thumbs” for three minutes if played in full, but there is definitely some guitar and keyboards intermixed with the drums and bass. The next three songs have been used as openers so there was definitely room to alter the order of the first 4 songs and play them all in full.

              As for this particular Tormato song not possibly translating well on stage, people should listen to some 1978-1979 live versions.
              I didn't say I necessarily agreed with Howe particularly concerning OTSWOF. I said this was his expressed view and therefore the reason for cutting some passages might partly lay in that reasoning.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

                Hear hear!
                I agree it's becoming a hate site as you can say nothing critical of the band with out the pitchforks and torches coming out.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post

                  I agree it's becoming a hate site as you can say nothing critical of the band with out the pitchforks and torches coming out.
                  Well whose fault is that some people can't be critical without being overly dramatic. I'm a fairly apologetic Yes fan, but even I didn't like this rendition of OTSWOF. It was missing the bass intro I like more than anything that comes after it, maybe the slow part too. But I don't feel like I was let down or they committed a crime or smeared all the legacy with one IMHO bad decision.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by pjt View Post

                    Well whose fault is that some people can't be critical without being overly dramatic. I'm a fairly apologetic Yes fan, but even I didn't like this rendition of OTSWOF. It was missing the bass intro I like more than anything that comes after it, maybe the slow part too. But I don't feel like I was let down or they committed a crime or smeared all the legacy with one IMHO bad decision.
                    This. I miss the intro, but especially miss the "Where we are coming from or where we go" sections. And I've been critical in the past before.

                    However IMO there's a difference between being critical of a performance or being dismissive of a person/player and immediately putting it all down to "It's because he can't play it".

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

                      This. I miss the intro, but especially miss the "Where we are coming from or where we go" sections. And I've been critical in the past before.

                      However IMO there's a difference between being critical of a performance or being dismissive of a person/player and immediately putting it all down to "It's because he can't play it".
                      I was wondering if you listened to the long keyboard solo on close to the edge? If you have you would come to the conclusion That GD "Can't Play it".......Unrecognizable to the ears not even close to the original

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by roundabout View Post

                        I was wondering if you listened to the long keyboard solo on close to the edge? If you have you would come to the conclusion That GD "Can't Play it".......Unrecognizable to the ears not even close to the original
                        I agree. not close to the original. A lot of Rabin's interpretations of Steve's parts where not even close to the original when he played them. By choice, his own style and interpretations. Not because he couldn't play them, but because he simply refused to do so,

                        Comment


                          #42
                          If Downes played it exactly like Wakeman people would complain about him trying to be a Wakeman clone. Gotta have something to complain about!
                          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                          My hovercraft is full of eels

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Something I've noticed - almost all of the acts touring that were big in the 70's cannot replicate the sound of their old equipment and PA systems with all of the new digital gadgetry that permeates the industry now.

                            Aside from limited playing ability due to advanced age, Steve will NEVER sound like he once did. His choice of equipment leaves me a bit baffled. All that Line 6 garbage with amplifier modeling and synthetic guitar sound recreation hinders anyone trying to emulate the sound of actual tube amps and old classic Fender and Gibson guitars.

                            Howe will never reach the sonic heights of yesteryear without those old guitars, effects and amps pumped through a vintage PA at almost maximum volume. And with his 'play it like the album' rule there is no possibility of the band sounding as they did in their prime years (pre-90125). The last time I heard Steve wail and howl with Yes would be the Drama tour.

                            When I hear Yes tribute bands that sound MUCH closer to the old model and realize that the current Yes will not allow itself to be as great as it once was underscores the reasons I haven't bothered to see my favorite band since 2013.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by alex peters View Post

                              Howe said the same thing decades ago with regards to SSOTS but when Wakeman returned they nailed it on the 35th tour. It was 1 of the best songs of that tour. They mixed it if my recollection is accurate with as a medley with Mind Drive?. My memory may be inaccurate.
                              This.

                              That’s how it was played when I saw it on the ‘04 tour. It was really something to witness.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

                                They already played it before that on the 2002-2003 tours.
                                Yes. Full circle. Some shows but not all but I do not recall for sure.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X