No announcement yet.

OTWSOF 2022 - What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Howe is never ever going to say that the band cannot come close to playing at a tempo thay played in 20 to 50 years ago. He is going to spin it.

Comment

It’s getting embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

I wonder if we will get an abbreviated Sound Chaser if they follow through playing all of Relayer

They better not drop the cha-cha-chas!

For criminy's sake! 😱

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

For criminy's sake! 😱
          The chas were a backing track from the album when they did it live back in the day. If they do the same we might finally get to hear Jon Anderson at a Yes concert again.
          “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post

The chas were a backing track from the album when they did it live back in the day. If they do the same we might finally get to hear Jon Anderson at a Yes concert again.
            We got Anderson on TOTS tribute to White and on Onward for Squire. I’m not sure if it was Anderson alone doing the cha chas. I think Squire contributed also.

Comment

For criminy's sake! 😱
              No other way to spell cha-cha-ching…!

Comment

Agree with most statements here. That jam at the beginning is awesome stuff. It is baffling why they left it out. Live, I listen to alot of bands on Youtube...what a goldmine.....ELP 71, Pink Floyd 72, Deep Purple 70, Zep 75...etc...And of course, Yes, up to 79. The live 78, 79 versions of OTSWOF are great. I especially like how they pause an extra beat after the jam, before Anderson sings. With Chris thumping away. Subtle, yet so effective. This version of Yes is what it is. We all have our tolerances. When I want to listen to Yes, you can bet it'll a show from the 70s. But if they come to Pittsburgh, I'll probably go, depending on ticket prices.

Comment

I feel this is becoming a hate site, not a fan site. Howe could have a (possibly equally or more lucrative) career playing genuinely dumbed-down Yes music on the Night of the Proms/pops circuit. He must have an almost religious fanaticism about playing Yes music as straight up as possible/feasible, then listening to a bunch of sh*theads in the live audience and forums (which he hopefully doesn't read).

Also contemplate Yes having taken the Styx approach and having played the same show (with minor tweaks) for fifteen or twenty years.

No cheers this time,
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by alex peters View Post

Howe said the same thing decades ago with regards to SSOTS but when Wakeman returned they nailed it on the 35th tour. It was 1 of the best songs of that tour. They mixed it if my recollection is accurate with as a medley with Mind Drive?. My memory may be inaccurate.
                    They already played it before that on the 2002-2003 tours.

Comment

Originally posted by alex peters View Post
                      Steve Howe is never ever going to say that the band cannot come close to playing at a tempo thay played in 20 to 50 years ago. He is going to spin it.
                      Really? Because it's exactly what he said about 10 years ago when people complained about the tempo then of Tempus Fugit. He acknowledged in an interview that it wasn't because of the rhythm section, which people were speculating, but that it was because of him, because he couldn't play the song in the original tempo.

It's quite amazing how people will adjust their speculation toward their own feelings and opinions. When they don't like the current lineup and its playing everything gets spinnen into some negative explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemiller48 View Post
                        I feel this is becoming a hate site, not a fan site. Howe could have a (possibly equally or more lucrative) career playing genuinely dumbed-down Yes music on the Night of the Proms/pops circuit. He must have an almost religious fanaticism about playing Yes music as straight up as possible/feasible, then listening to a bunch of sh*theads in the live audience and forums (which he hopefully doesn't read).

Also contemplate Yes having taken the Styx approach and having played the same show (with minor tweaks) for fifteen or twenty years.

No cheers this time,
                        Mike
                        Hear hear!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemiller48 View Post

No cheers this time,
                          Mike
                          Nope. Sure some folks don't like the current band but the OP posted a legitamate question that most Yesfans were thinkin'. I'm a big Hovian fan and current band fan but still can't understand why they would not do the tour de force bass and drums intro that isn't that hard for Steve or Geoff. They don't call it Whitefish for nothin'. And as the tribute video shows. Jay and Billy can do it.

In the grand scheme of things (see what I did there) it's no biggie. The band sound great on No Opportunity, TIB, YIND, AYAI, CTTE, SK....so I'll say the UK folks are bein' treated to a great night out. After covid and all. That means somethin'.

So you raise a Miller lite and I'll raise a Jamesons and coke to toast Steve Howe and his band of Merry Men. 🙋‍♂️

Cheers!
                          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-20-2022, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Nope. Sure some folks don't like the current band but the OP posted a legitamate question that most Yesfans were thinkin'. I'm a big Hovian fan and current band fan but still can't understand why they would not do the tour de force bass and drums intro that isn't that hard for Steve or Geoff. They don't call it Whitefish for nothin'. And as the tribute video shows. Jay and Billy can do it.

In the grand scheme of things (see what I did there) it's no biggie. The band sound great on No Opportunity, TIB, YIND, AYAI, CTTE, SK....so I'll say the UK folks are bein' treated to a great night out. After covid and all. That means somethin'.

So you raise a Miller lite and I'll raise a Jamesons and coke to toast Steve Howe and his band of Happy Men. 🙋‍♂️

Cheers!
                            A question can be legitimate. I just feel that some people immediately jump to negative speculation (They can't play it) because that fits their overall feelings about the current line up.

I mean, has anyone speculated that the reason they cut off the bass/drums intro might be, because it's the opening song and it would look rather silly if they all come on stage under applause during Firebird Suite and then when the first song starts, three of the five people on stage would be twiddling their thumbs for the first three minutes or so??

And when it's brought up that Howe has said in interviews before that he feels that a lot of the Tormato album doesn't/didn't translate well to the stage, and that might be why they've cut some sections, then some suggest Howe is just "spinning things" (because apparently Howe secretly told them the real reason🙄) to cover up how lousy they're playing is these days.

I'm all for questions and discussions, but do feel it's tiresome how some try to put a negative spin on on almost everything.

Comment

There are those who put a negative spin on almost everything.
                              There are those who put a positive spin on almost everything.
                              There are those who go out of their way to spin equally positive and negative. (Me?)
                              There are those who don’t spin at all.

Maybe the complainers are the first to make threads and do posts.

And then there are tons of youtube videos and articles on websites and tweets and what have yous.

It’s all in a days work here on Yesfans.

Comment

Oh, and this OTSWOF is not great. Better luck next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X