X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
    So here is Nikki Squire in an NFTE interview: http://nfte.org/interviews/ns232.html

“Chris and I worked closely on "To the Rescue" with Nigel and Charlie in a studio in California, called Record One. Although the song had already been written and was in demo form, Chris embellished the song tremendously as well as singing harmonies, some of those prominently in the middle eight. Then, of course, Chris and Esquire were together for all the mixing of the album at Ocean Way studio in California too.”

So what constitutes “embellished the song tremendously” if he didn’t tweak the arrangement and play a little bass in addition to his background vox?
    Nikki is on social media, if you want to ask her. Some embellishment could mean inputting into arrangements, without performing bass.

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
    I agree I can hear Chris all over...Surely he wanted this to be his wife's project so stayed in the background when it came to credit but I have a feeling he helped much more than with occasional embellishments and back vocals on a couple of songs.
    Could be but maybe we'll never really know for sure (kind of like with Jon's first solo album).

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    As far as I know, Chris was not that involved with it. He and Nickie were going through a divorce at the time so I think maybe if it wasn't for that he would have been more involved. He did sing backing vocals on "what you've been saying lately" but other than that I don't think he's on it much (if at all). It probably is one of my all time favorite albums though. Not a bad track on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sharp On Attack
    replied
    I agree I can hear Chris all over...Surely he wanted this to be his wife's project so stayed in the background when it came to credit but I have a feeling he helped much more than with occasional embellishments and back vocals on a couple of songs.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    I would say that the material other than To The Rescue sounds like it was created by the band to sound kinda Squire-ish. Even the same Esquire suggests at an album being aimed at the Yes fanbase, though I can't say if Squire, White or Horn had any other major input. The bass player Nigel seems to have a slight Squirey bass sound on the album. I'm sure they had tips from Squire and Horn. The synths are cinematic, nice and 80's. Too bad they didn't put out albums all that often. When I first heard the first album it went in one ear and out the other, but then I grew to like it a lot. To The Rescue, Knock Twice For Heaven, Turnaround and especially Blossomtime are great. Blossomtime is even almost reminiscent of Does It Really Happen? from Drama. But on the other hand, I can hear it as a Yes song with Jon Anderson or a song by or featuring Anderson.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
    I can't see why contractual reasons would allow Squire, White and Horn to get some credits, but not more credits. I don't know what happened and anything is possible, but I would guess your ears deceive you. I imagine Chris had a lot of influence on the band by virtue of being Chris and being married to Nikki. That doesn't mean he was secretly performing on it in places.
    So here is Nikki Squire in an NFTE interview: http://nfte.org/interviews/ns232.html

“Chris and I worked closely on "To the Rescue" with Nigel and Charlie in a studio in California, called Record One. Although the song had already been written and was in demo form, Chris embellished the song tremendously as well as singing harmonies, some of those prominently in the middle eight. Then, of course, Chris and Esquire were together for all the mixing of the album at Ocean Way studio in California too.”

So what constitutes “embellished the song tremendously” if he didn’t tweak the arrangement and play a little bass in addition to his background vox?

Leave a comment:

• Steve983
    replied
    It does indeed sound like Chris is 'all over it', quite why or how is a mystery to me too.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    I can't see why contractual reasons would allow Squire, White and Horn to get some credits, but not more credits. I don't know what happened and anything is possible, but I would guess your ears deceive you. I imagine Chris had a lot of influence on the band by virtue of being Chris and being married to Nikki. That doesn't mean he was secretly performing on it in places.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    started a topic Esquire: The real story?

Esquire: The real story?

I’ve been spending some time with the Esquire debut album and wondering how much Chris Squire was actually involved in it. What I’m reading is that he only contributed some backing vocals on a couple of tracks. However, my ears are telling me a different story. To me it sounds like he is all over this thing with audible vocals on multiple songs and bass on some tracks that is either him or a great forgery of Chris Squire and possibly even a contributor to the writing. Is it possible that he was more involved than credited, and they kept it secret for contractual reasons or something like that? Are my ears just playing tricks on me?

Working...
X