No announcement yet.

A New Album- Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't Blake the author "of those dark Satanic mills"?
    Stolen by Horn in MM.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-23-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSonja View Post
      Time to retire “Yes”, and call it a day (a wonderfully long and great day) after this 50th CTTE tour. There is no sense carrying on like this.
      I see your point, but I disagree with it.
      I don't think fans should try to persuade bands in either direction. Let them do what pleases them. It's obvious they don't make albums for the money, and if they feel like doing it, then I wouldn't judge them.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post

I see your point, but I disagree with it.
        I don't think fans should try to persuade bands in either direction. Let them do what pleases them. It's obvious they don't make albums for the money, and if they feel like doing it, then I wouldn't judge them.
        They will do as they please anyway, no matter what we may prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Wasn't Blake the author "of those Satanic mills"?
          Stolen by Horn in MM.
          Indeed. Blake has been mined for lyrics by a lot of bands and songwriters over the years, and as with Shakespeare and the KJB, a lot of his lines have passed into everyday phrases. His Proverbs of Hell from the Marriage of Heaven and Hell are an entertaining read in that respect...
          William Blake. Words, words and deeds; words of all sorts, words for all needs.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Gates of Delirium is my favourite Yes song. I would say its lyrics are pretty on the nose. It's the story of war and peace. Yet, it is its pretty on the nose being that make those lyrics really hit me each and every time I hear the song.
            War and peace are topics, and have certainly fuelled everything from great Russian novels whose titles escape me through Picasso's Guernica and, well, popular music, but it's what someone does with the topic that's interesting. "Gates of Delirium" isn't just war and peace, it's "our reason to be here", which leaves some room for discussion and interpretation and thought. The frontline healthcare workers in the pandemic are a topic, which Marillion also dealt with on their new album, with about the same success, imho: the song "Care" starts off stronger, but once it hits "the angels in this world…" part loses something, loses specificity, and returns to a pretty dead metaphor, and a more than slightly simplistic one at that. There are, of course, great songs to be written about the pandemic and the roles health care workers played throughout it, but I don't think these are them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

For you that might be. It seems that those attending the current tour are in large part very enthusiastic about the shows. That's at least what a lot of the reactions on social media like twitter tell me. So for plenty of people there is most certainly sense in carrying on like this.
              I certainly Agree that the live shows have been wonderful through the recent years. All years in fact. And this year also (although the truncated Silent Wings has me befuddled).

However, the recent albums are tiring for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSonja View Post

I certainly Agree that the live shows have been wonderful through the recent years. All years in fact. And this year also (although the truncated Silent Wings has me befuddled).

However, the recent albums are tiring for me.
                Oké, fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                X