Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Khatrooper View Post

    Steve was producer only on his solo guitar piece Masquerade, one track of 14 on the album. He met his professional obligation to deliver a piece of music, and even got a Grammy nomination for his work. I think it is unfair to lump him into the corporate mess of the other 13 tracks.
    Furry nuff.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

    Comment


      #62
      Furries, 😳. Quick get that picture out of my head!

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Davy View Post

        Me three. Would way rather hear material from the last three albums with a few classics thrown in than the legacy material. And yes, they could get away with playing a lot more of the recent material and promoters and fans would still be happy.
        I'll go for that too. As long as they have Starship Trooper and Roundabout as the encore, I think they could get away with playing more newer material in the main set. I remember Asia with John Payne would play maybe 65% Payne-era stuff and save the hits for the encores. Tough for them at first, but more accepted some 10 years later after 5 or 6 more albums. Marillion forced their listeners to accept their current material. They basically weened their audience off of Fish-era material live, though they play some of that too - but's like 94% post-1989 material with maybe Sugar Mice tossed in to throw the fans a bone. A lot of fans are keener to give newer albums a chance if forced to. But for some reason, Yes can't get away with it or isn't keen to try it. I wouldn't mind a bit if the set was 80% material from 2010-now, because I've already heard Roundabout live from ten or eleven different lineups.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

          If they switched the name, tickets sales would plummet and touring would be much more limited. For many fans, calling it "The Steve Howe Yes Experience" would mean zero chance of seeing a show.
          I see your point... The guys gotta make a living. But I think Steve Howe's YES Experience might draw close to the same. Just like a band with a weird name like ARW.

          Comment


            #65
            ARW may have been weird but when you got in there you got upbeat tempos and in some cases nice changes to old classics.

            Comment


              #66
              Steve Howe's Yes Experience would not be a good name. Sure, he calls the shots now, but others have contributed massive amounts of writing (and playing) on the last three albums.

              Comment


                #67
                Hmmm. Seeing as there's Asia, and also a separate Asia Featuring Jon Payne, I don't see why Jon Anderson - unless there were some legal stipulations making it hard for him to do so - forms Yes Featuring Jon Anderson. Maybe not a good idea and would rock the boat again, maybe not, I don't know. But Anderson is keen on leading Yes again. Rabin & Wakeman may not even be completely necessary in order to get things done. He could get some other outstanding players, release an album, tour with Yes Featuring Jon Anderson and play loads of classic stuff from his era - which is most of the Yes story, albums-wise. Is that a good idea, or is that about as appealing as a trainyard of rotten Squonk meat? Yes Featuring Jon Anderson.

                Comment


                  #68
                  I kind of feel Jon Anderson has burnt his bridges... he plays Yes stuff anyway, whether solo, in duos with Wakeman, school orchestras etc, so why go Yes featuring... when it won't be Yes?

                  Comment


                    #69
                    JA should do what Steve Hackett is doing. Putting a top deck band around him and go play YES music like Steve has with Genesis music for the last 10 years plus. I don't see Rick or Trevor doing anything but on their own now. We get Steve and the current YES. I just wish JA would ditch the kids band touring and step up with some great band that would be worthy of YES. Frankly JA singing with a great band behind him would prob sound like more YES.
                    Last edited by 1yesfan; 06-17-2022, 06:46 PM.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

                      I'll go for that too. As long as they have Starship Trooper and Roundabout as the encore, I think they could get away with playing more newer material in the main set. I remember Asia with John Payne would play maybe 65% Payne-era stuff and save the hits for the encores. Tough for them at first, but more accepted some 10 years later after 5 or 6 more albums. Marillion forced their listeners to accept their current material. They basically weened their audience off of Fish-era material live, though they play some of that too - but's like 94% post-1989 material with maybe Sugar Mice tossed in to throw the fans a bone. A lot of fans are keener to give newer albums a chance if forced to. But for some reason, Yes can't get away with it or isn't keen to try it. I wouldn't mind a bit if the set was 80% material from 2010-now, because I've already heard Roundabout live from ten or eleven different lineups.
                      I don't always love each and every new Marillion album, but goddamn if they don't tour the hell out of each, often playing the whole thing start to finish. I admire how committed they are to new material, and they've prepared their audience for that.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Marillion has these 'Marillion Weekends' things these days where they play three different entire sets for each night and often whole albums from start to finish, and not just the current album - three or four or ten albums ago, like all of Brave or something. Gotta admire their commitment. It would be harder for Yes to try something like that though. Then again, Marillion has had the same lineup for over 30 years now.

                        Finally got in a few listens to the new Marillion album and its growing on me more.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
                          JA should do what Steve Hackett is doing. Putting a top deck band around him and go play YES music like Steve has with Genesis music for the last 10 years plus. I don't see Rick or Trevor doing anything but on their own now. We get Steve and the current YES. I just wish JA would ditch the kids band touring and step up with some great band that would be worthy of YES. Frankly JA singing with a great band behind him would prob sound like more YES.
                          He had a very good band behind him on the 1000 Hands tour. Didn't sound like Yes to me though.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by 1yesfan View Post
                            I don't see Rick or Trevor doing anything but on their own now.
                            That's because Rick is hard at work on his 51st album and Trevor is in the pre-tweaking stage before the tweaking starts in the fall with his album. I hope he calls it "ARW" just for laughs,

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by yamishogun View Post

                              That's because Rick is hard at work on his 51st album and Trevor is in the pre-tweaking stage before the tweaking starts in the fall with his album. I hope he calls it "ARW" just for laughs,
                              Do we have any actual evidence that Trevor is still working on the long promised solo album? I've kind of given up hope of ever seeing it. Shame, because, for me, it would be one of the exciting Yes related releases in years.....

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

                                The producers of Union, among whom Howe is also included, were under a professional obligation to deliver an album in accordance with their contract, and that too can be seen as an ethical imperative. I don't blame anyone particularly for whatever occurred, since I wasn't in the room at the time, for taking the steps that were needed to complete the project. If certain parties opted to withdraw their participation, or chose not to complete their contractual obligations, then the producers were entirely within their rights to bring in others who could and would do so. How we might feel about the final outcome, the album, isn't really relevant. Buy it, don't buy it. Listen to it, don't listen to it. I rather like how most of it sounds, the ABWH tracks plus The More We Live, but that's just my personal take on it and means nothing. Haun did nothing ethically wrong as far as I'm concerned, and did not act unprofessionally.
                                Yes. I agree. Amazing!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X