Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frumious B
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Independent platforms and musicians being able to release their own music still have to follow the same rules over who gets to use what band name. You may have an argument that capitalism hasn't been great for music. You may disagree with the rules. I just feel it's worth noting that the rules over who gets to use what band name, based on a capitalist notion that basically a band name is a resource that can be bought and sold, Absolutely Matter.
    The equity in a band name comes from money that fans are willing to spend. The choice is to buy an album or a ticket or to not buy one. I would argue that rock music never would have existed in the first place without capitalism.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied

Independent platforms and musicians being able to release their own music still have to follow the same rules over who gets to use what band name. You may have an argument that capitalism hasn't been great for music. You may disagree with the rules. I just feel it's worth noting that the rules over who gets to use what band name, based on a capitalist notion that basically a band name is a resource that can be bought and sold, Absolutely Matter.
    But but but it’s not Jon Anderson and it’s not the 70’s so it’s not yes

see there I have taken the usual argument skipped a few steps and put what inevitably is the final argument from no Jon no yessers so you guys don’t have to

back to the question at hand Fernando Perdomo sounded great Sunday night

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
    We’re talking apples and oranges. I’m referring to the music and one could make a very compelling case that the cold, calculating strictures of capitalism have debased and degraded the music that is produced by the music industry. Thank god for independent platforms and musicians being able to release their own music.

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied

A label does make it so (within the structures of modern capitalism, with which you are free to disagree).
    We’re talking apples and oranges. I’m referring to the music and one could make a very compelling case that the cold, calculating strictures of capitalism have debased and degraded the music that is produced by the music industry. Thank god for independent platforms and musicians being able to release their own music.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    A label or a Roger Dean cover doesn’t make it so.
    A label does make it so (within the structures of modern capitalism, with which you are free to disagree).

Leave a comment:

• Kenny
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

Max bacon lead vocals
    oliver Wakeman keys
    dylan Howe drums
    Steve Howe guitar

and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood

so sorry it’s yes
    Annie Haslam on vocals?

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied

You’re talking statistics and having a conversation with yourself. I’m talking about timeless, epic, unforgettable music.
    Which to me the quest is full of sorry but the new album rocks and I am hoping The blind owl or whatever it’s called rocks too

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

And it was Squire who was one of the prime movers behind choosing to continue on without Anderson in 2008. He also, in addition to likely being one of the three people in the band with final approval over bringing in Benoit David, was probably the member of Yes who had the most to do with Jon Davison joining the band in 2012.

Additionally, Squire was known to have pushed for more frequent new studio releases, and handpicked his protege, Billy Sherwood, to succeed him in Yes.

I don't really have much doubt that Chris Squire would be for this band continuing as Yes and making new Yes music. It's what he basically told Billy Sherwood to do. Squire personally selected the band's lead singer and bass player!

Steve Howe was of course in the band during the entire post-Anderson 2008-present stint, and so these moves and requests were made by Squire knowing that Steve was, and might continue to be, there.

It's actually surprising when you think about how unstable Yes' lineups have been through the years that four of the five people in the band in 2022 are exactly who Squire had been playing with or selected to replace him in 2014.

The only one in the band who doesn't meet that criteria is Jay Schellen (If he's been elevated to being an official member of the group from touring musician who's on stage playing with the band at every show), but I don't think there's any reason to believe that Squire would have objected to the band going forward with Schellen.

I think this is a situation where Squire lived long enough and said enough on this subject for fans to be pretty confident that he'd be happy to see Yes continuing on as Yes and making new music.
    I really don't think one can draw that conclusion with all definitety.

Yes, he worked with Davison and very much supported him, yes he chose Sherwood as his successor. So one can certainly say that he wanted things to continue at the time of his passing. But that's seven years ago. There's no way of telling he would for instance have agreed with the musical direction of The Quest, which is very much a Steve Howe led album, based in a Steve Howe musical vision. The more time passes, the weaker the argument "this is what/how Squire would have wanted it to go" becomes in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

And it was Squire who was one of the prime movers behind choosing to continue on without Anderson in 2008. He also, in addition to likely being one of the three people in the band with final approval over bringing in Benoit David, was probably the member of Yes who had the most to do with Jon Davison joining the band in 2012.

Additionally, Squire was known to have pushed for more frequent new studio releases, and handpicked his protege, Billy Sherwood, to succeed him in Yes.

I don't really have much doubt that Chris Squire would be for this band continuing as Yes and making new Yes music. It's what he basically told Billy Sherwood to do. Squire personally selected the band's lead singer and bass player!

Steve Howe was of course in the band during the entire post-Anderson 2008-present stint, and so these moves and requests were made by Squire knowing that Steve was, and might continue to be, there.

It's actually surprising when you think about how unstable Yes' lineups have been through the years that four of the five people in the band in 2022 are exactly who Squire had been playing with or selected to replace him in 2014.

The only one in the band who doesn't meet that criteria is Jay Schellen (If he's been elevated to being an official member of the group from touring musician who's on stage playing with the band at every show), but I don't think there's any reason to believe that Squire would have objected to the band going forward with Schellen.

I think this is a situation where Squire lived long enough and said enough on this subject for fans to be pretty confident that he'd be happy to see Yes continuing on as Yes and making new music.
    But. C'mon maaaan. The Seventies??!!!?? 😭

Leave a comment:

• downbyariver
    replied
    Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

Squire is on more studio albums than any other Yes member even with Howe’s being on the next one if we are talking statistics.

Last edited by downbyariver; 10-06-2022, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• josuev80
    replied

No but a collective musicians do

davison will with the new album have the second most albums out of all 4 lead singers

billy will be on 6ish yes albums with the new one
    howe will be on more then any other yes member
    geoff will be on 6 albums

again we could talk statistics all night but the truth is it’s yes
    Squire is on more studio albums than any other Yes member even with Howe’s being on the next one if we are talking statistics.

Leave a comment:

• Yesed
    replied

Which is entirely your right, my friend. I’m just agreeing with Erik in terms it being more Steve Howe’s Yes Experience and not the full spectrum Yes band that once knew so well.
    I would agree, there’s something to be said for sticking to the mission of a band. There’s always new influences and updated versions, but regardless of who’s in the band or who’s leading it there should always be a sensibility to expectations of loyal fans, imo. That could be subjective, so I’m giving Steve one more chance😅

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied

davison will with the new album have the second most albums out of all 4 lead singers

You’re talking statistics and having a conversation with yourself. I’m talking about timeless, epic, unforgettable music.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied

But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

Max bacon lead vocals
    oliver Wakeman keys
    dylan Howe drums
    Steve Howe guitar

and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood

so sorry it’s yes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X