Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
    If either JA or so called Yes play Relayer I may check it out live.
    The plan is for the Relayer tour to come to the US in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

You and George nailed it.

Back on topic, I have NO problem with Haun, Sherwood, Schellen, Brislin, and Davison carrying on after Steve retires. As long as it is called ANYTHING but just Yes.

Yes was something with a few magical guys collaborating making legendary music on an EPIC level. A lot of those guys are gone or do not collaborate anymore, while 2 guys continue now to create watered down music in a Yes style. But emulating that magical thing that spontaneously appeared in the 70's is just sort of meh. There are a few good songs on every Yes album up to Heaven and Earth in my opinion. I think milking the Yes name with Steve Howe solo albums feat a guy who sings like Anderson, a guy who plays bass like Squire, a guy who drums like Alan and Bill, and a guy from Asia and Drama, is a bit diluted to say the least. Real Yes sort of stopped in 2004. While I really enjoyed the Benoit run, and love FFH, that was when the serious diluting started. And now without Alan, and especially Chris (and JA), it's just so watered down. If either JA or so called Yes play Relayer I may check it out live. But there just is no allure anymore, in my case. But apparently there are still fans loving the new line up and The Quest. And that is cool... I just never thought I'd become "that guy". LOL

Just another opinion....
    Erik brother, you just nailed it too. What stands out in your post is what you say about the watered down quality of what the present Yes is offering us. You are spot on when you say that the epic vibe of the music (as it is being presented now) is gone. Steve and to a lesser extent Geoff, have earned the right to perform as long as they are able bodied and choose to trot themselves out there. But to these ears, the fire is missing.

Also, you’re not “that guy”. Everything has it's time to shine and then it’s time for something new. To go along with the crowd, just to uphold or maintain some kind of loyalty to the band we once knew so well, it’s not required of you and wouldn’t be authentic to who you are.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

What a shallow take, as if it’s just about you and yet, in some part it is but the view from the herd doesn’t provide very clear sight lines. Some of the people you named dictate what you consume on a daily basis, through their acquired media perches and through their algorithms. You’d be wise to be more concerned about the well being of small business owners and independent journalists who haven’t been bought and sold by corporate entities. Let me also remind you that dissidents and revolutionaries founded this country and warned us of exactly what is taking place right now. George Carlin was right, we became comfortably bloated, stupid and incessantly consuming sheep and we don’t even realize that we’ve been taking it up the backside for as long a we have.
    You and George nailed it.

Back on topic, I have NO problem with Haun, Sherwood, Schellen, Brislin, and Davison carrying on after Steve retires. As long as it is called ANYTHING but just Yes.

Yes was something with a few magical guys collaborating making legendary music on an EPIC level. A lot of those guys are gone or do not collaborate anymore, while 2 guys continue now to create watered down music in a Yes style. But emulating that magical thing that spontaneously appeared in the 70's is just sort of meh. There are a few good songs on every Yes album up to Heaven and Earth in my opinion. I think milking the Yes name with Steve Howe solo albums feat a guy who sings like Anderson, a guy who plays bass like Squire, a guy who drums like Alan and Bill, and a guy from Asia and Drama, is a bit diluted to say the least. Real Yes sort of stopped in 2004. While I really enjoyed the Benoit run, and love FFH, that was when the serious diluting started. And now without Alan, and especially Chris (and JA), it's just so watered down. If either JA or so called Yes play Relayer I may check it out live. But there just is no allure anymore, in my case. But apparently there are still fans loving the new line up and The Quest. And that is cool... I just never thought I'd become "that guy". LOL

Just another opinion....
    Last edited by Somis Sound; 10-11-2022, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    What the hell did I miss?

you know what I am just going back to bed

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied
    Originally posted by Frumious B View Post

And now we have the personal insults…the last resort of ideologues.
    I’ll stop, I promise, it’s not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied

I would have guessed mental onanism.
    And now we have the personal insults…the last resort of ideologues.

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

Give it a fucking rest! Boring!
    I just learned something new, we can use the F word here. Well done, Ash.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied

Give it a fucking rest! Boring!

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied
    If there is one “ism” I hold above all others it is the one that starts with “individual”.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    If there is one “ism” I hold above all others it is the one that starts with “individual”.

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied

I believe in dealing with people as individuals, based on who they actually are, their individual talents and what they do and the results they deliver not based on some group identity or based on what some internet virtue warrior on Twitter says I’m supposed to think. I don’t care. I don’t care about Lizzo and the flute one way or the other. I don’t care that someone said something I’m supposed to be offended by on a podcast last week. It just doesn’t matter to me. I’ve met millionaires and billionaires who were super nice, polite, kind wonderful folks. I’ve met poor people who were complete and total a$$h*les and vice versa. I generally like the people who were nice way better, regardless of how much money they did or didn’t have. Plenty of small business owners are decent people and plenty are mean, spiteful f*ckers.
    And you’ve completely avoided the point, whatever man, it’s a waste of time to continue this back and forth.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied

What a shallow take, as if it’s just about you and yet, in some part it is but the view from the herd doesn’t provide very clear sight lines. Some of the people you named dictate what you consume on a daily basis, through their acquired media perches and through their algorithms. You’d be wise to be more concerned about the well being of small business owners and independent journalists who haven’t been bought and sold by corporate entities. Let me also remind you that dissidents and revolutionaries founded this country and warned us of exactly what is taking place right now. George Carlin was right, we became comfortably bloated, stupid and incessantly consuming sheep and we don’t even realize that we’ve been taking it up the backside for as long a we have.
    I believe in dealing with people as individuals, based on who they actually are, their individual talents and what they do and the results they deliver not based on some group identity or based on what some internet virtue warrior on Twitter says I’m supposed to think. I don’t care. I don’t care about Lizzo and the flute one way or the other. I don’t care that someone said something I’m supposed to be offended by on a podcast last week. It just doesn’t matter to me. I’ve met millionaires and billionaires who were super nice, polite, kind wonderful folks. I’ve met poor people who were complete and total a$$h*les and vice versa. I generally like the people who were nice way better, regardless of how much money they did or didn’t have. Plenty of small business owners are decent people and plenty are mean, spiteful f*ckers.

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied

None of those three has ever done me so much as a lick of harm. I have nothing against them. They’re very successful people. I use Microsoft products, Amazon and Facebook on a daily or weekly basis. I’m fine with that. What have the basement revolutionaries railing against Gates, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Musk etc. on the internet actually accomplished that’s so impressive other than ginning up a bunch of anger?

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied

Get your head out of the sand Frum. You know I didn’t make a blanket statement about all billionaires. There are billionaires like Gates, Zuckerberg and Bezos who have way too much influence.
    None of those three has ever done me so much as a lick of harm. I have nothing against them. They’re very successful people. I use Microsoft products, Amazon and Facebook on a daily or weekly basis. I’m fine with that. What have the basement revolutionaries railing against Gates, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Musk etc. on the internet actually accomplished that’s so impressive other than ginning up a bunch of anger?

Leave a comment:

• Enlighten
    replied
    Billionaires are individual people too. Silly to paint them as evil thieves or whatever. McCartney is worth $1.5 billion. I guess he’s stealing from me by continuing to sell me Beatles crap.

And “oh no!”…I ordered it on Amazon.
    Get your head out of the sand Frum. You know I didn’t make a blanket statement about all billionaires. There are billionaires like Gates, Zuckerberg and Bezos who have way too much influence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X